two instances and core duo

fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
edited May 2007 in Folding@Home
i have an imac core duo...should i run two instances of folding or just one?

TIA

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2007
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    Either run two installs of the regular core, or one of the SMP. The SMP will get you a lot more points, but the SMP client is a bit flaky and will take some TLC to keep it running smooth.
    edited May 2007
    but the SMP client is a bit flaky and will take some TLC to keep it running smooth
    I don't understand that. I've read that from other users, but it has not been my experience. I'm running Windows SMP Folding on the four computers in my signature and on a Dell Laptop Core Duo 1.86GHz. Since March, I've had a total of three early work unit ends - that's it.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    I have had some issues with SMP, I am running a core 2 duo T2600 2.16Ghz and it errors out or has issues allot... 2 cores run flawlessly on the system...
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    thanks for the replies...

i thought i read something about SMP, that it should only be used on quad cores right now. probably has been fixed now though
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited May 2007
    It was designed for quad cores as it runs 4 instaces of the folding core, but it can be used for a dual-core system.
    edited May 2007
    that it should only be used on quad cores right now
    Also hearing "lots of problems", "instability", this that, and....where is this stuff coming from?

I love all of you. SMP Windows works well if your computer is stable enough for the punishment. If my 430-500W PSUs, way overclocked Preslers, and mid-grade RAM can handle it, your systems can too!
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    the only problem I've had with the smp core is that it sometimes has problems resuming work on my laptop when I switch from ac to battery and then back to ac. It doesn't always pick up on the fact that it's back on ac.