Adding Some Power

mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
edited May 2007 in Folding@Home
Well I got tired of being passed. I want my Top 20 Spot back!

I looked around and figured I have a lot of crap laying around doing nothing....quite a bit of K7 stuff. Most of it is not worth running compared to PPD and energy cost of a C2D system. Probably hotter for a fraction of the PPD...doesnt really make sense.

I did get my Watercooled system back up with an 1800+ Tbred that does 2.4GHz that had been down for a pump change. Its back up now.

I swapped out my A64 3200+ for an Opteron 165. Its sitting at around 2.3 stock voltage with daily speed bumps. Hoping to get a couple hundred MHz more or so out of it. Doing ~800PPD with a p2610.

And I did a complete upgrade to my main system. I finally go AMD Dual-Core and its my back-up system already hehe.

So I got an E6600, EVGA 680i A1 motherboard, 1950XT, 2Gb of G.Skill with Micron D9s. The rest I took from my main system including a 520W OCZ PSU, 2x 74 Gb Raptors and my classic Chieftec case...before it was popular.

That computer is running a p3025@1163 PPD with no Overclock yet...yet!. So I basically just added 2k PPD for myself, more by the time I overclock the C2D system.

I am even thinking about getting a E4400 for ~$139 and OCing that to ~3GHz for another cheap 1500+ PPD. :D

Time to get my Top 20 spot back, damnit!

Comments

• KrazeyivanKrazeyivan Newcastle, UK
    edited May 2007
    Well I'm not happy with my Top 20 spot damnit! :bigggrin:

The Core 2 will power you up the chart mmonnin! I only have one Core 2 so far and I am in the top 20. Cannot have you passing me mind!! :p

I do have an Opty 170 sitting here only needing a gfx card.........

So its 1 of 4 options - sell the mobo, memory (OCZ DDR1 4000EB's) and processor, my first 975 board is away getting repaired at the mo - so I would get another core 2 with some good RAM, and a cheapo gfx card.

Option 2 is get a cheapo gfx card and get the Opty back running

Option 3 - Sell the stuff but go banana's with bits again - Core 2 Quad, Micron D9 RAM, and the latest and Greatest from ATI graphics wise. I am lucky that the Big Tower case sitting idle has a Galaxy 850W PSU doing nothing so I'm not lacking juice!

Option 4 - Sell the Opty stuff, RAM, mobo AND the 975 board when it comes back and wait for the 45nm Intel stuff - My akasa case can fit server boards no problem and the power supply will keep them happy - I have visions of 2 Octo-core Intel's in the box - A 16 Core machine........ ohhh I like this option!

Now thats a mighty cog!
    :smokin:
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited May 2007
    Hehe I mean top 20 overall for Team SM and Top 1000 for the entire project. You will still be in the Top 20 producers. I have a nice head start of you....by several years. :) I remember folding when WUs were 1-2 points each and you could see the entire teams members stats on your screen without scrolling. Those were the days...
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    I know the feeling. I have a couple of old boxes that are not running, I just can't bring myself to put the time and effort into them for as little as they will produce.
    I am back under 1200 in the project thanks C2D and AX2.
    I love my NF7s, fast and solid, but they just don't cut it anymore.
    Time for another C2D. I am waiting for the new chipset, then the 965 mobo prices should drop.

I made more points last month than in my first two years folding.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2007
    edcentric wrote:
    ...I made more points last month than in my first two years folding.

Really makes you think, doesn't it? :D
    edited May 2007
    I have had several NF7s when they were in their prime, that is what is in my WCd system.

I could probably build 2-3 K7 systems if I had motherboards for them.
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    my e6600 at home is pushing between 1500 and 2000ppd with the smp program. I've dropped it down to 3.0ghz as it was getting too hot, but the points are still really good.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    Later this year when both Intel and AMD have quad core CPUs available, I expect C2D prices on mid-range models to be very affordable. And of course, the pressure on AMD will probably make upper-end AMD dual cores close to pocket change. I am seeing a couple more dual core folders in my stable.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    I think I have a found a company willing to donate some CPU time.... under my name :)
    edited May 2007
    I am hoping to get 3.2GHz+ out of my E6600. It is at 2.925 so far with stock cooler and stock voltage. Need at least 3.6GHz to even reachh stock Memory speed so that wont be my bottle neck.

I am seeing a large difference in PPD between FahMon and EM3. On my E6600@2.925GHz it is running at 12:53 per % folding a p2610 WU. FahMon shows 1574 PPD and EM3 shows 1702 PPD....

A quad core Presler should be smoking fast folder, its supposed to be quite a bit faster in the FPU department. :D Think about.....5-6K a day or so. I could live with that! Just a smidge faster than my 93PPD TBred...
    edited May 2007
    I'm showing 11:25 for a p2610 on my E6600 @ 3.01ghz, which fahmon shows 2005.90 ppd.

Which model quad core is the presler?
    edited May 2007
    The presler is not out yet, so no model # yet.

12:48 p2610

EM3 - 1713
    FahMon - 1616

How does like 75-80MHz reduce the time by that much? Thats over a minute difference. Nothing else is running on my computer. Is it the FSB?
    edited May 2007
    Which model quad core is the presler?
    The presler is not out yet, so no model # yet.
    You guys meant to write Penryn. Presler core includes the D9XX, 65nm dual core Intel CPUs, which have been out for well over a year. I'm running four of them. They are excellent overclockers and are inexpensive. I've got a 1.2GHz overclock (on air) on my D915.
    edited May 2007
    Yeah...that... :D
    edited May 2007
    It must be the fsb. All 4 processes are showing up in task manager as using 83mb, 84mb, 84mb and 89mb and they are adding up to 100% cpu.
    edited May 2007
    Up to 3.1GHz stock everything else. First time above 3GHz on anything. First CPU to do more than 2.4 since a couple of DLT3C TBredBs
    edited May 2007
    Well done. Rock & Roll.
    edited May 2007
    I'm not done yet. Waiting on a real HS/F to arrive. SVC shipped a day late....and even then UPS was slow at delivering. After I find the max CPU speed I can see if I figure out how DanG had better times than I did with the same CPU via RAM timings or whatnot. Still have a 1950XT to try out as well.
    edited May 2007
    which heatsink did you end up getting?
    edited May 2007
    Still waiting on the Thermalright 120 eXtreme and scythe S-flex 120mm fan to arrive. Running on stock intel cooler atm.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    What's your full load temp?
    edited May 2007
    With SMP folding, 57-58C, no case. Its open on my desk since I still need to slap on the HS/F when it comes.

Hmm just installed nTune and it says the CPU is at 1.45v. CPU-Z says 1.4 although I have not touched any voltages yet.