Northbridge Cooler, On the Cheap

LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciersEagle River, Alaska Icrontian
edited May 2007 in Hardware
You may have seen previous posts of mine where I have advocated reviving faling cooling fans by relubricating the spindle. I actively cool the passive northbridge heatsinks on my Asus motherboards (see my signature) with very old fans. A couple of them are/were original Abit branded fans from 2000 and 2001. Well, after one of them seized a couple days ago, and would not work right after being relubed - it was the second or third re-lube in as many years, I decided to replace it. The stock Asus northbridge coolers (passive, fanless) are actually pretty good, but considering my 1000MHz/+ overclocks, my boards need active cooling. I had gone through all my tiny fans in my parts bin. I was not about to order a new fan and pay more for shipping than the fan itself was worth. Neither did I wish to pay for one of those overpriced northbridge cooler kits. What I ended up with was an el cheapo hard drive cooler from CompUSA. The front of the cooler has three very low noise fans. All I did was remove the fans, splice one of them to a three-wire connector, and the northbridge is back in business. In addition to the new, quiet fan on the subject northbridge, there are also now two new replacement fans in my parts bin, at the ready.

Comments