Hi! Can you tell me if these are compatible?

edited May 2007 in Hardware
Or do I need a new motherboard?
My motherboard is an Asus A7n255-vm series
Socket A

And I just recieved a Pentium 4 HT Processor
LGA775 Pkg
3.4 GHz
2 MB L2 Cache
800 MHz FSB

It says requires Platform Compatibility Guide 04B or 04A Board

I swear I have been searching the 'net for information on this, and have thus far come up empty. Also, I could not find much information to help me with this subject on either manufacturer website.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you so much in advance!

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    Completely not compatible with each other.

Socket A, your motherboard, is for older series of AMD Athlon and Duron processors. Your Pentium 4 CPU is only compatible with Socket 775 LGA motherboards.
  • edited May 2007
    Thank you very much. I appreciate the quick response. I guess it's time to start shopping for a new motherboard!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    I recommend you look for a motherboard that is compatible with Intel Conroe Core "Core 2 Duo." Some Socket 775 motherboards, which is what you will need with your P4, will not support C2D, name the 775 boards that are based on Intel chipsets 945 and 955. It would be a waste of money to purchase a new motherboard that is limited to P4. C2D totally eclipses any P4 in performance. They also produce less heat and draw much less power. You will also have to upgrade your RAM. Your current RAM is DDR. LGA 775 motherboards require DDR2.

Actually, if I were you, I would not upgrade my system for just that processor. I would save my money and build a C2D system. Chances are, depending on what processor is currently in your computer, upgrading to the 3.4 P4 would bring that big of a performance improvement.

Tell us more about your current system? RAM? CPU? Power supply unit?