P5B Deluxe, 4 gigs turns to 3

Radio91PRadio91P Layton, UT New
edited May 2007 in Hardware
Hey guys,

Just bought 4 gigs of crucial memory for dirt cheap. All 4 gigs of DDR2 1066 Crucial Ballistix for $275. I know I don't need four gigs, just couldnt pass up the deal. Waiting to build another computer to use them. In the mean time, when the bios loads, it only reports 3 gigs of RAM. Can't figure out why it would do this. CPU-z shows all 4 gigs though.

Thanks for the help,

Jaron

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    If I'm correct, Windows XP will only recognize and use 3GB. That's a simplification, but I'm sure it's right. Remember, when WinXP and Win2000 were designed, 256KB was considered a healthy amount of physical RAM and 512MB was upper end.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited May 2007
    Yeah go XP 64-bit edition and you will be able to 'see' all 4gb of it...or dare I say... Vista.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    He said the BIOS only reads 3GB.
  • Private_SnoballPrivate_Snoball Dover AFB, DE, USA
    edited May 2007
    Radio91P wrote:
    Hey guys,

Just bought 4 gigs of crucial memory for dirt cheap. All 4 gigs of DDR2 1066 Crucial Ballistix for $275. I know I don't need four gigs, just couldnt pass up the deal. Waiting to build another computer to use them. In the mean time, when the bios loads, it only reports 3 gigs of RAM. Can't figure out why it would do this. CPU-z shows all 4 gigs though.

Thanks for the help,

Jaron

You may need to flash your BIOS. I know I bought a brand new A8N-SLI Deluxe mobo when it first launched, and what they said it offered and what the current BIOS state offered were different. After flashing the BIOS the advertised specs were all fully implemented.
  • Radio91PRadio91P Layton, UT New
    edited May 2007
    I am going to try and flash the bios and we will see if that works.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    He said the BIOS only reads 3GB.
    Ohhh.....so hmm, I guess if the BIOS flash doesn't work he'll have to use White Out on the screen.
    edited May 2007
    Well, I figured it out. I had the remapping feature disabled. I enabled it and now it does show the correct amount of RAM, however, when exiting the bios it freezes. Oh, well. Thanks guys!
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    Hi Radio,

List the settings you have in the jumperfree, cpu and chipset settings and i'll have a look what it can be. I use 4GB on the very same board here as well and it's rock stable.
    edited May 2007
    Hey Swede,

I have changed all of my settings back to default, except for the settings on the memory. The memory is running at 1066, which is stock. I had to manually change it. If I change the FSB at all it fails prime95 in seconds. I recently changed out the northbridge cooler and I am hoping I didn't jack something up. Timings are at default 5-5-5-15. All of the settings pertaining to the cpu, and memory are stock.

Thanks,

:D