Celeron D to Pentium D

HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
edited January 2010 in Hardware
Hey all, I have a GA-8S649MF motherboard and I wanted to upgrade my 3.06GHz Celeron to a 3.4GHz Dual Core, my dad said make sure the chipsets were compatible (or something like that). What are they and how do I tell? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited May 2007
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    I copied the mobo number straight from my dxdiag.txt file, but thanks for the link anyway, i'll take a look now.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    There is indeed a Gigabyte GA-8S649MF motherboard, but I can find neither pictures nor specifications of it.

Haruduth, I think it might be compatible with a Pentium D, but there is a chance that is not. Your board is apparently a Socket 775 motherboard, which will accommodate a Pentium D, but won't necessarily support it. All I could find on your board was forum discussions in Swedish, German, French, and Polish. I can read German, but the forums I found did not discuss CPU compatibility. Do some Internet searches and see if you can find a specifications page. Just about any language would work.

Is this motherboard in a brand computer? If so, what's the brand name and model?

I looked at Gigabyte's site, and they don't list your motherboard. That means it may have only been produced in very small numbers for only one or two computer assemblers. Your board model you gave is valid, but just seems to be very, very uncommon. Wish I had more to offer you.
    edited May 2007
    Aye I only found a few links to it and it wasn't in english so I dismissed the search and went to the Gigabyte website. No reference there either like Leo said. Most likely you will be stuck with the BIOS you have weather it supports the CPU you want or not.
    edited May 2007
    I got it in a Fujitsu-Siemens Scaleo P, I'm a complete noob at this but if the chipset number is 3 digits then I think it is 965, if so does that mean a Dual Core 945 3.4GHz will work on it? Or am I completely wrong and someone needs to shut me up? :P The motherboard name I gave is also the name of the System Model, I hope that helps but I don't really know enough to give an accurate reply at this stage. Thanks for all the research, I appreciate it :)
    edited May 2007
    Fujitsu-Siemens Scaleo P
    Very good - that helps. Your computer can be configured from the factory with a range of motherboards and CPUs (processors), both AMD and Intel platforms. You wrote that your specific computer has the GA-8S649MF motherboard. That motherboard has the SIS 649 chipset, not the Intel 965. According SIS, the 649 will operate with Pentium D. If your computer was manufactured within the last year, the motherboard BIOS, should (should, not guaranteed) be able to support a Pentium D. Sometimes it is very difficult to find detailed specifications for off-the-shelf consumer model computers. Such is the case with your machine.
    edited May 2007
    Awesome! Thanks :D Could you possibly post the link where it says the 649 will work with Pentium D? My dad will want proof :P
    Thanks so much, I would never have worked it out on my own :)
    edited May 2007
    http://www.sis.com/products/sis649.htm
    http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1845926,00.asp
    http://www.motherboards.org/mobot/chipsets/
    http://www.mascom.com.tr/anakart/p4.pdf

These pages mention Pentium D compatability, but not one of them, that I could see, states that the SIS649/965 chipset combo supports Pentium D 9XX series. You see, there are two Pentium D classes of processors: 1) Smithfield, D805-D840 and 2) Presler, D915-D945.

That's not the complete story. Typically, off-the-shelf computers, such as yours, have BIOSes coded for them that can be highly restrictive, not accepting of many hardware configuration changes. That's one way big name manufacturers keep costs down, by keeping their machines very simple. If you choose to install a D9xx series CPU, it will certainly fit in the motherboard's socket, but it might NOT operate with the motherboard. There is so precious little information available about your motherboard, I have no idea what BIOS is installed and what its flexibility is.

If you think you can find more information than I have concerning your motherboard and its integrated chipset (and perhaps you can), do internet searches on "GA-8S649MF" and "SIS649." I know you really want to upgrade the CPU, but unfortunately, the lack of hard information available on the internet makes it a crap shoot at this point.
    edited May 2007
    Ok, thanks :D I'll get researching. Thanks again for the research, I appreciate it.
    edited May 2007
    But in the SiS site they seem to be adamant that it supports Pentium Ds
    "Host Interface
    - Supports Intel® Pentium® D Dual-Core processor
    - Supports Intel® Pentium® 4 FSB 800/533/400MHz processor
    - Supports Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology"

"Dual-Core Support
    Supports Intel® Dual-Core CPU and Pentium® 4 FSB 800MHz CPU with Hyper-Threading technology."

"The SiS649 features a PCI Express x16 Bridge and flexible Single-Channel DDR2-533/DDR400 Memory controller, supporting Pentium® D Dual-Core processor and Pentium® 4 FSB up to 800MHz. "
    edited May 2007
    But in the SiS site they seem to be adamant that it supports Pentium Ds
    "Host Interface
    but not one of them, that I could see, states that the SIS649/965 chipset combo supports Pentium D 9XX series. You see, there are two Pentium D classes of processors: 1) Smitfield, D805-D840 and 2) Presler, D915-D945.
    It probably will support both series of Pentium D, but I DON'T know that to be a fact. Sorry, there just is NOT much documentation on your motherboard on the Internet. If you are looking for me to say "YES, buy the CPU - it will work with your motherboard," I just can't do that.

If you want to be absolutely sure, you need to start posting at different tech forums and ask if anyone is running a configuration with your model of motherboard and the specific CPU you want to use.
    edited May 2007
    Ah cool, thanks :) My dad has a friend at work that knows everything to do with everything about anything :P So I'll send him a mail xD Thanks for your help, I'll let you know if I get it and if it works or not xD I just reminded myself... Assuming I do get it, how do I install a processor? I've never done it before >.<
    edited May 2007
    edited May 2007
    Yikes...not sure if I want to buy from someone who cant keep a website up.
    edited May 2007
    What's wrong with the site?
    edited May 2007
    It doesnt come up for me.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    Comes up for me just fine.
    edited May 2007
    Someone over the pond doesnt like me....

And what the hell...is this the days of IRC again?
    edited May 2007
    IRC? ... TMFA!!!!! >.< (Too many frigging acronyms ><) no idea what that means :P
    edited May 2007
    IRC - Internet Relay Chat. By the way, did you find out more about your motherboard? Where do you stand now with respect to upgrading?
    edited June 2007
    My dad's friend found a compatibility list for Scaleo Ps, and it will go :) So I'll get it as soon as I can persuade him to be bothered to do it lol. Thanks for all your help guys :)
  • edited January 2010
    Harudath wrote:
    My dad's friend found a compatibility list for Scaleo Ps, and it will go :) So I'll get it as soon as I can persuade him to be bothered to do it lol. Thanks for all your help guys :)

LOL, Now I'm upgrading my dad's PC, and I have a unsupported motherboard by gigabyte, "Gigabyte GA-8S649MF"

****** http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">****** name="ProgId" content="Word.Document">****** name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11">****** name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CADMINI%7E1%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->FUJITSU SIEMENS :confused:

Harudath, so? what happened?

I have a 2.70GHz dual-core CPU, and its not working on my dad's PC :O:mad: