Alienware Deal?

yossarian084yossarian084 Norwich, VT, USA Member
edited May 2007 in Hardware
Greetings folks,

I just did an ebay search for Alienware laptops and found a Area 51 with the following specs:

CPU: Pentium 4 3.4 GHz (with Hyper-threading)
Memory: 2 GMB
Hard Drive: Hitachi 160GB 4200RPM
24X DVD-ROM / CD-RW Combo Master Drive
Radeon 9000 Graphics Card (512MB)
Built in Ethernet (10/100)
3.5 3-Mode FDD (A51M)
Alien Autopsy Diagnostics
Charcoal Black Case
Windows XP Professional with Office XP Pro!
Alienware Master CD
Alienware Laptop Binder Manual
Mouse Pad

Games Loaded Included:

Max Payne 2
Counter Strike: Condition Zero
Choas Legion
Deus Ex 2
Batlefield 1942
Unreal 2003
Postal 2
Armed and Dangerous
Chaser
Diablo II
Worms II
Warcraft III
Castle Wolfenstein
NFS Underground
NFS Carbon

The Buy It Now price is 1200 buck with bidding starting at $370. Is that normal? Its new-in-box too. Sounds fishy but I may be wrong.

Forum please advise.....

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    I would say no.... as those games are pretty old, and wouldn't run very well on that laptop as is...
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    For $1200 I think you can find better...at least all around.
  • yossarian084yossarian084 Norwich, VT, USA Member
    edited May 2007
    What is the limiting factor(s)? I'm looking for a good gaming laptop and am hoping to find one used. What should I be looking for specwise? I do know I want a 19in monitor....
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    Basically the video card is limiting you on that lappy. I can find numerous laptops at say powernotebooks.com for example for the same price with a 7600 Go. May not have the same memory or HDD, but for gaming that video card is the biggest set back generally.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    I wouldn't pay more than $400 for that laptop. For it's generation, it was top notch. At today's standards, it's not even a budget laptop when compared to entry level dual core, C2D or AMD from Dell or HP. The ATI 9000 is not much better than current integrated graphics chips and the P4 3.4 is only fast when compared to a first generation P4. Also, Hyperthreading is only an advantage under a very few usages.

My comments above pertained only to my assessment of the hardware. The WinXP Pro installation is a decent value. I won't even try to value the games. They would be zero value to me unless I could sell them easily. BTW, you wrote "installed" for the games. Does that include the original game CDs? If not, the value should zero for you as well.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    if you bid $400 and win than it is a good deal... but that system will not play todays top games...