Regarding HPs & Is an HP Photosmart D5069 a good replacement for an Epson C86?

edited May 2007 in Hardware
New guy here.

My Epson Stylus C86 is clogged -third one in four years - and the appropriate cleaning kit from fixyourownprinter made the situation worse: at first it could print colors, no black, now no working inks.

I used to have an HP 870 series inkjet - lasted around five years - and thinking of going back to that brand. I found the now discontinued HP Photosmart D5069 Printer retailing for around $30-$50 with its successor the HP Photosmart D5160 going for $80-$90. Does anyone own the HP Photosmart D5069 printer and is it a good replacement for the Epson C86?

I understand the printheads are on the HP cartridges, so there are no ink clogs with the Vivera Inks? I print infrequently, unless there's a paper due, so I'd like to be able to print something two weeks later, unlike with Epson's DURABrite inks. Could I leave the printer on for minutes prior to printing? On the Epson C86, I had to switch it on, print and then switch off to prevent the inks from drying out.

Do HP printers, like this one, go through those ink guzzling cleaning cycles whenever the machine is switched on/off?

I mostly print documents, some with diagrams and photos, especially eBooks/game rulebooks. I plan on printing decals. Would I be better off with a regular HP Deskjet D2330-D2460 series? One thing I've noticed is that the Deskjet cartridges are 5ml while the Photosmart's are 11ml. The ads state that HP cartridges are efficient with ink use, my Epson was one big drain - is this true? Printing speed isn't that important for me, just quality and the machine durability.

I've spoken with HP customer service, but I'd like to be certain that the guy wasn't telling me what I wanted to hear.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    Have you considered a color laser printer? Prices have come way, way down. If you print even moderately, it will save you money over the long run. I don't care what brand it is, you get raked over the coals with inkjet cartridge purchases.

As for me, I refuse to pay any money for inkjet anything.

Really, I wish I could offer you advice on inkjet printers, but I just can't keep track of 26574839784 different brands and models.
  • edited May 2007
    Thanks, but the cheapest color laser printer still ends up being above my budget, that's excluding the toner and ink and not forgetting the potential repair costs due to some kind of accident or basic wear. Other than the money draining Epsons, I've been able to find genuine cartridges at reduced prices on eBay, for instance. Unfortunately, the sale of this printer at ~$30 is now gone.:( I'm in no hurry ATM so I'll wait for its successor to go down in price.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    Have you considered Canon inkjets? I spent $129 about three years ago.. I print VERY infrequently, maybe once every 2-3 weeks (I work in a printshop, so....) and every time I go to print, the output is perfect - no clogs, etc.

I've been very happy with my Canon inkjet and I will be buying another one when this one bites it.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited May 2007
    I've had two Epsons. The second was £200 and nothing but trouble, even a replacement failed to work, forever clogging. Half my ink went on clearing the nozzles. Then I got a Lexmark all in one mainly because it was cheap. It is now available here for £40, scanner (excellent), photo printer and card reader. I don't use it much but everytime I do it works flawlessly. The model is P4350.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    Another vote for Canon. Our family has owned two Canons in about 5 years, and we've owned two only because we needed a second. :) Both are running strong, don't clog, and don't drain ink overly much.