Overclock HP computer??

saltydog806saltydog806 Bowie MD
edited June 2007 in Hardware
:confused: I read that one has to change out the mobo ect. in order to overclock a premade rig.Can I just change out the Bios (?) chip?

Thanks

HP Pavilion Media Center a1640n Desktop PC

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00768103&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3245028&lang=en#N412

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    You have to swap the mobo.
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    you might be able to find the exact brand and model of motherboard they use and reflash the bios, but you'd be doing so at your own risk. HP removes all the overclocking features and fun stuff like that.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited May 2007
    DanG wrote:
    you might be able to find the exact brand and model of motherboard they use and reflash the bios, but you'd be doing so at your own risk. HP removes all the overclocking features and fun stuff like that.
    HP uses smaller flash chips. They also typically change something small on the board that prevents the original bios from working correctly. (At least on my HP Tyan S2603 that use to be in my server.)
  • saltydog806saltydog806 Bowie MD
    edited May 2007
    GrayFox wrote: »
    HP uses smaller flash chips. They also typically change something small on the board that prevents the original bios from working correctly. (At least on my HP Tyan S2603 that use to be in my server.)
    Thanks for the replies. So, if I get a mobo that fits my case and takes my psu i shouldn't have to buy anything else? (I don't mean to be dense lol).

What about my operating system? It came on a disk with all the other junk HP included. Will it load on the new mobo and will the software restrict overclocking?
    Thanks All
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    it should load on the new motherboard, but if you can find the same model, you should be able to swap it right out without having to reinstall everything, but a good reinstall never hurt anyone.
  • saltydog806saltydog806 Bowie MD
    edited May 2007
    TY
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    If you are looking for CPU performance gains, you are more likely to realize an improvement from a CPU upgrade than through overclocking. Keep in mind, my comment above in the context of off-the-shelf big name brand PCs.

There is so much more involved with overclocking than having a tweakable motherboard -- appropriate memory, sufficient cooling, powerful PSU, and well ventilated case. Frankly, I would not recommend even trying an overclock with your computer. Beige box computers are great for what they are designed for, which is out of the box, plug and play for general PC needs, but they are not designed for hardware flexibility.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    I will agree with the above statement. Pre-builts are for mom & Dad while custom rigs are for .jr :)