That should work fine. Go for it.
  • djshowdowndjshowdown London
    edited May 2007
    does that seem a reasonable price?

are asus laptops any good?

im not usually this indecisive but my laptop knowledge isn't that extensive
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    I think it's fine. My bro-in-law has an Asus laptop that's similar to the one you're looking at, although his is physically bigger. No problems with it so far. He's quite happy with it. For the money, it seems to me like it's a good deal.
    edited May 2007
    cool

im gonna keep looking still though

anybody know of any places i should look or of any deals around?

i'm in the uk by the way
    edited May 2007
    which processor is better

5300 or 5500?

and would some kind soul explain to me why also

thanking you!
    edited May 2007
    just a quick question

my friend is gonna get me a laptop from dell with his 10% discount

is it worth upgrading from the T5600 to the T7200 for £82????

i am trying to spend as little as possible so is this jump really worth £80/$160?????
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    is it worth upgrading from the T5600 to the T7200 for £82????
    Good question. The answer is 'it all depends.' If your projected computer usage is heavy multitasking, video editing, CD/DVD ripping, then the 7200 might be worth the extra cost. As far as everyday usage is concerned, such as internet use, office applications, and DVD viewing, you won't see much of a difference between the two CPUs. The 7200 has 4MB of L2 Cache (on-chip memory, so to speak) and the 5600 has 2MB. If 83 Pounds is not a hardship and you intend to work your laptop very hard, it is my opinion that the T7200 would be a better choice.
    edited May 2007
    i spose the question im asking is, will the performance boost be worth the 80 quid?

or would it be better spent on upgrading the ram for example

the main program i am buying this laptop for is a dj program called serato

im not sure if you have heard of it but the minimum spec is pretty low anyway

minimum system requirements are a 1GHz PC running Windows XP with Service Pack 2, with 512M of ram or more...

the laptop in question should breeze through it, i am just thinking of how to make it as future proof as possible
    edited May 2007
    If it were me, I'd probably spring for a RAM upgrade - increase 1GB to 2GB, instead of upgrading the CPU. You would realize a more pronounced performance increase that way.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    I think one of the primary factors in a laptop decision should be hard drive speed. Most laptops come stock with 5400rpm or even 4200rpm hard drives. This can seriously impact performance. I'd make sure to spend extra money to get a 7200rpm drive - for a laptop, it's one of the most important upgrades.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    I would spend any extra on a faster hard drive and memory.
    For the HDD a 7200rpm drive is very nice.
    At this time don't buy the extra gig. Just pay a little bit to have them ship it with a single 1GB stick so that it is easy to add another latter.

Compare the price to a Toshiba Satellite (200 or 205) and see where the price lands.
    edited May 2007
    Oh wow, yeah, good point about the hard drive. Yes. The hard drive, 7200 vs. 5400 (or slower) will make a very big difference in performance.
    edited May 2007
    i was planning on upgrading the hard drive to 7200 rpm 120gb

great minds think alike!

thanks for all the help guys, really appreciate it

i may just be greedy, get the better processor and the bigger hard drive and see how i do with 1 gig of ram

way i see it i'm gonna have an easier time upgrading the ram in future if i need it then upgrading the cpu

thanks again