AMD Athlon 64 3700+ Mobile Processor vs desktop version

edited May 2007 in Hardware
I want to upgrade an athlon 64 3200+ 754 (with kv8 deluxe motherboard) to an AMD Athlon 64 3700+ Mobile Processor (also 754). My question is whether the mobile version will work in my desktop's motherboard , and will I then be able to overclock it the way I would the standfard 754 3700+ clawhammer?

Dave

Comments

• lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited May 2007
    Definitely proceed with caution on the 3700+ mobile. Many A64 mainboards will not work with the mobile versions--I can't say for certain about your asus board. Another important difference is the lack of a heat-spreader on the mobile chips. Not all HSFs will make good contact with the CPU. I'd stick with the desktop versions if you can. As far as overclocking is concerned, the method would be the same between the two--both are multiplier locked. The mobile processors generally have a bit more headroom, but you'll need to do some more research if you want to run one.

Hope that helps.
  • edited May 2007
    lomonlime I read somewhere that you had written detailed instructions for overclocking the 752 socket athlon 3200+ (or 3700+ I forget which), if true could you point me to that thread. I am trying to oc my Athlon 3700+ 2.4 754 socket, and I am new to overclocking. As for the mobile I think I am gonna forego the purchase. BTW, does anyone know where I can get a new or slightly used athlon 64 3700+ with 754 socket on the cheap (a link would be nice). I see the 939 socket version all over the place for under $50?

Dave

Thanks
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    The information you are looking for is an article or articles at the main site. Here's a list of great stuff to get you started.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited May 2007
    Dave_007 wrote:
    lomonlime I read somewhere that you had written detailed instructions for overclocking the 752 socket athlon 3200+ (or 3700+ I forget which), if true could you point me to that thread. I am trying to oc my Athlon 3700+ 2.4 754 socket, and I am new to overclocking. As for the mobile I think I am gonna forego the purchase. BTW, does anyone know where I can get a new or slightly used athlon 64 3700+ with 754 socket on the cheap (a link would be nice). I see the 939 socket version all over the place for under $50?

Dave

Thanks

That link Leonardo pointed you to should provide you with everything you need to know. I outlined the overclocking of a Sempron 2600+, which is a 754 based processor in the article. The 3700+ will not be any different. Unfortunately, Socket 754 processors are getting harder to find as they are discontinued--supply and demand naturally keeps the price steady or slighly high as a result. Ebay is a great place to look as well as the for sale section in forums--check out the Deal Depot and Trading post once and a while as well.

Best of luck! :)