Half Life 2 DM

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited June 2007 in Community
Has anybody considered playing HL2:DM at the LAN? This is a game that could actually get me to drag my computer out of the basement.

Valve is giving away free copies if you own an ATI video card:

http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56665

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    I was thinking HL2 + UT2K4 for FPSes at the LAN. Another VERY FUN party game is one called Gloom for Quake 2 -- it's an insectoid alien species vs. humans. Kills allow you to upgrade your character until you die. Aliens secretly and sneakily build eggs and spike defenses to keep their species alive. Humans build teleporters and turrets to ensure the survival of their species. Spiders are hard as hell to see, and have a wide variety of exotic things like invisibility, super speed/strength.. Humans have lots of health, long-range weapons, etc.

GREAT game, and anyone can run it.
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    I'd like to try Gloom because I'm sure it will play on my lappy.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    If I could find an install for an older version of Weapons of Destruction for Quake 2, that would rock. That mod had like six different kinds of grenades. And a machine gun that shot rockets :eek:

I'm all for HL(1 or 2): DM! I don't have UT2K4, but surely it's on a discount rack by now, right?
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    I don't know if there is enough time with the present time structure. For personal reasons, BF2 has to stay. I'm open for anything else. I really only have 4 tourny slots setup and do not want to try to squeeze two tourny's into one time block...

I'm open either way... If there is a huge call for HF2: DM maybe we can work something out. There is always the open times and if there is enough people, we can always setup a mini tourny. :scratch:
    edited May 2007
    Why BF2? :\
    edited May 2007
    BF2 sounds good to me, but why are we pressed for tourney space? What do you have figured for the other three slots?

If it came down to it, I'd rather play HL2DM than UT2K4. Probably cheaper (and easier to get last minute) if people don't have either, and need to pick one up for the LAN.
    edited May 2007
    UT2K4 would be much cheaper, has lower requirements of both server and client, and almost all the attendees have experience with it.
    edited May 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    UT2K4 would be much cheaper, has lower requirements of both server and client, and almost all the attendees have experience with it.

Much cheaper where? Can't HL2DM be bought separately from Steam for like $20? I can't check where I'm at right now. It's not like you need experience for a deathmatch game, either. Also, it's my understanding that the Source engine does quite well on older hardware with the settings adjusted. Played fine on my 8500, anyway.
    edited May 2007
    I love the game... UT is too fast paced for me. I like realism and the combat concept. That and choppers. All I played at last year LAN was BF2. When I looked around last year, people were playing BF2. There was some UT and BFME2... but BF2 was the dominate game. Or at least, that's what I saw.

Also... I've bought a ton of games for the LAN's over the years. UT, UT2004, Halo, AOE2, BF, BF: Vietnam, BF2, Rome, and BFME. That's a ton of $$$ for games I never played. I might have launched the game a few weeks before the LAN and then never again. BF, BF2, and Rome are the only ones I really played. I'm sure Half Life 2: DM is a great game but I'm worried about the learning curve to really understand all that there is to the game and the $$$. I know it's free for ATI guys and I do have an ATI 9800 but my main rig is a nVidia. Really... I don't care but I'd LIKE to keep BF2. If most people want Half Life instead of BF2... I'm not a dictator (yet).
    edited May 2007
    Gargoyle wrote:
    BF2 sounds good to me, but why are we pressed for tourney space? What do you have figured for the other three slots?

If it came down to it, I'd rather play HL2DM than UT2K4. Probably cheaper (and easier to get last minute) if people don't have either, and need to pick one up for the LAN.
    I have two slots on Friday, two on Saturday, and none on Sunday since people start packing and I need to take stuff down to leave Sunday afternoon.

My plan is each game will have a slot dedicated to it. UT, BF2, AOE2. We could use the other slot for HL. I was thinking we might have a second RTS game... HL is fine but then we have 3 FPS and one RTS. If that works for everyone, cool.
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    QCH2002 wrote:
    I love the game... UT is too fast paced for me. I like realism and the combat concept. That and choppers. All I played at last year LAN was BF2. When I looked around last year, people were playing BF2. There was some UT and BFME2... but BF2 was the dominate game. Or at least, that's what I saw.

Also... I've bought a ton of games for the LAN's over the years. UT, UT2004, Halo, AOE2, BF, BF: Vietnam, BF2, Rome, and BFME. That's a ton of $$$ for games I never played. I might have launched the game a few weeks before the LAN and then never again. BF, BF2, and Rome are the only ones I really played. I'm sure Half Life 2: DM is a great game but I'm worried about the learning curve to really understand all that there is to the game and the $$$. I know it's free for ATI guys and I do have an ATI 9800 but my main rig is a nVidia. Really... I don't care but I'd LIKE to keep BF2. If most people want Half Life instead of BF2... I'm not a dictator (yet).

I'm confused. It is a death match game, there is no learning curve.

Join the server, pick up some guns, start blazing.

I am the complete opposite of you. I like my games fast paced. I love Q2/3/4, UT2K4, HL2DM, TF, CS etc. I do play BF2 occasionally but the pace gets too me, seems so slow. I'd rather play a rts game like SupCom or AOE2.

To each his own right? :D
    edited May 2007
    Maybe we should set two slots for the tourney (BF2 and AOE2?), and let attendees vote on the forum for what they'd like the other two slots to be? (out of the options we've already discussed)

That way we can get a good idea of how much of a demand there is for things like a second RTS or a third FPS.
    edited May 2007
    I need to learn the different buttons, patterns in the different weapons, if there are different classes, play them all, Find out how the game plays... those type of things are encompassed within the "Learning curve".

As for the pace of games... Everyone has their own speed. I am slow and methodical. I like pretending I'm in a war and I want some realism. UT is too much about jumping around and having quick twitch on the mouse. Oh, and no choppers!!! :D
    edited May 2007
    Gargoyle wrote:
    Maybe we should set two slots for the tourney (BF2 and AOE2?), and let attendees vote on the forum for what they'd like the other two slots to be (out of the options we've already discussed)?

That way we can get a good idea of how much of a demand there is for things like a second RTS or a third FPS.
    In past years, we did vote and then someone would always throw in something after the poll was setup. I have no problem voting on FPS games, RTS games, and BF2 games. If there is a strong push for several FPS, we know we can do more than 2.

What say everyone else?
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    HLDM2 and UT2K4 are the two games (in that order) most likely to draw my computer out to the tent. That's just me. :)
    edited May 2007
    Keebler wrote:
    HLDM2 and UT2K4 are the two games (in that order) most likely to draw my computer out to the tent. That's just me. :)

Ditto.
    edited May 2007
    Well... the two owners and Thrax all want HL2DM... That's enough for me. If they're in the tent playing, I'm sure more will. OK, I'm convinced enough to tentatively add it as the fourth tourny. :thumbsup:
    edited May 2007
    QCH2002 wrote:
    Well... the two owners and Thrax all want HL2DM... That's enough for me. If they're in the tent playing, I'm sure more will. OK, I'm convinced enough to tentatively add it as the fourth tourny. :thumbsup:

/me is used to being lumped in with the peanut gallery.
    edited May 2007
    I love ya Garg but sorry Garg... You were gonna play anyway. I had you at "Hello". *

If I can get the two owners into the tent to game, it increases the odds the gaming will draw in more business. The more that play, the more fun for all.

As for Thrax... he's the only reason I'd put "Barbie DressUp" as a LAN game. ;D

*(Jerry McGuire line)
    edited May 2007
    I pwn faces at that game. Versace = fail.
    edited May 2007
    QCH2002 wrote:
    If I can get the two owners into the tent to game, it increases the odds the gaming will draw in more business. The more that play, the more fun for all.

That's a much better plan than me luring people in with my Ohura fan dance. :thumbsup: Besides, I look terrible in a skirt.
    As for Thrax... he's the only reason I'd put "Barbie DressUp" as a LAN game. ;D

Oh, I thought it might have been for Buddy Jesus' sake.

attachment.php?attachmentid=14314&d=1105136812
    edited May 2007
    attachment.php?attachmentid=23213&stc=1&d=1180640940

True Love is so hard to find.... :D
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    WHAT.
    edited May 2007
    OK... Stretch from Ohura's dance to Spock and Kirk. I was looking for a Ohura picture to chop and stumbled on that on... sorry. MANTOUCH?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    That JUST happened last night too! How timely!
    edited May 2007
    So I suppose that answers the question that's been on all our minds.

Keebs takes the back door to get into Prime's basement. :wtf:
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    *cough*tradesman's entrance*cough*
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    BF2 isn't playable on my hardware and I have no experience with AOE so I'll only be playing UT2k4 and HL2DM. It's a shame too because I enjoy the Desert Combat mod for BF1942 which does run on my machine.

-drasnor :fold:
    edited June 2007
    Dras... If we have time, I'm sure we can fire up BF1941: Desert Combat. I LOVED that Mod. Thats the reason I love the BF series. ;)
    edited June 2007
    I'd also be up for some non-tournament vanilla BF1942 if anyone else is. I miss the dog fights :D