Network Speed

trippintrippin Chatt, TN
edited June 2003 in Science & Tech
How fast is you network, list the type (100mbit full duplex, 10mbit half duplex, 802.11b):

On my 100mbit full duplex network i can get about 7.5 mbyte/s

Comments

• EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Standard 100Mbit using a Switch as a central device.
    Not tested the speed at any point though.

Strange that my Router says it is at 10Mb, yet the light on the front of it says 100Mb........ confusing.

NS
  • MrBillMrBill Missouri Member
    edited June 2003
    100mbit full duplex. Will be adding 3 systems to a 10mbit hub in the next week though. I have never tested my network speed.
  • AranyicAranyic Casstown, OH Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    100mbit full duplex at the moment. Got a couple gigabit network cards though and starting to search ebay for a switch.
  • trippintrippin Chatt, TN
    edited June 2003
    Aranyic, a gigabit switch or a 100mbit switch? Those gbit switches will run you alot of money unless you get one hell of a deal!
    edited June 2003
    gigabit ;). Actually going to try and pick up a 3com superstack II or something similar and a gigabit module. Have 12 gigabit ports and 12 100mbit until I can get another module.
    edited June 2003
    Lol, why would Aran want a 100Mb switch with Gb cards :P

Its cheaper to buy a mobo with Gigibit LAN here than it is to buy a card alone =/

Mad.
    NS
    edited June 2003
    Got a good deal I couldn't pass up.
  • edited June 2003
    Gah.. gigabit would be sweet, too bad good switches cost money. :(
    edited June 2003
    If you have two gbit cards and only need to network two systems just use a cross over cable... cuts out the middle man and its cheap!
  • edited June 2003
    Originally posted by trippin
    If you have two gbit cards and only need to network two systems just use a cross over cable... cuts out the middle man and its cheap!

true... but I have six computers in my house. :o :D
    edited June 2003
    Do you need 1000mbit transfers on all of them, most people dont have tons of data on everymachine, maybe just a main computer and a file server.
  • edited June 2003
    Originally posted by trippin
    Do you need 1000mbit transfers on all of them, most people dont have tons of data on everymachine, maybe just a main computer and a file server.

No, probably on just two or three of them, which means it is then more practical to purchase a switch.

Yes, I could hook up something fancy, but it would be worth more time than effort, most likely. ;)
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited June 2003
    Actualy gigabit is cheaper then you think.

I have a 4 port gigabit fiber switch and four 64bit gigabit fiber cards and the whole thing cost me less then 270 bucks.

Now a 4 port gigabit copper switch costs under a $100. 5 months aga that same thing cost 350 easy.

In fact if the copper gigabit switchs has cost less 4 momths ago I wouldn't have sold the 2 copper gigabit cards to aranyic!

Remember with two computers you don't need a switch! So two copper gigabit cards is really cheap !

Tex
  • hprhpr :o hi o:
    edited June 2003
    my network in my room is 100mbit and my parents computars in the family room are still hooked to an old ass 10mbit hub ;D

if i ever get cable interent (grr) i will have 100mbit throughout the house and 802.11g wireless for my lappy :D
  • edited June 2003
    I've only ever had the need for gigabit once, and it was only for a short time. One lan party we had 20 people tried to pull 2 gigs from the same pc at the same time. It wasn't fun...
  • edited June 2003
    Originally posted by LordNor
    I've only ever had the need for gigabit once, and it was only for a short time. One lan party we had 20 people tried to pull 2 gigs from the same pc at the same time. It wasn't fun...

LOL

it's like that when I hold my LANs... I have a 220GB rig set up for just that purpose. :D

it kills the entire network when someone downloads anything off it. bandwidth hog++++

heh... funny when someone yells out "OMG LAG" at a LAN :D
  • RobRob Detroit, MI
    edited June 2003
    Well, just a tidbit for you guys. Those cheap residental 100Mbit switches and hubs usually will only thruput 5-8 Mbps. Steping up to comercial equiptment really increases your networking speed. Our main switch has a 128Gbps backplane, and the stepdown switches we use on some equiptment is 24 port with 4Gbps backplane.

On a normal residential or small office gear, transfering files can saturate the network. Check out ebay, and look for some lucent or cisco gear. Usually, 200-500 bucks will get you a nice switch that you can really push traffic on.

Most people will see a HUGE increase in just using better equiptment. I would say take this route before going gigabit, because your not even getting 100Mbps out of most equiptment.

Also, intel and industry standard for gigabit is any device capible of sustained transfers of over 100 Mbps. So, you will see some cheap gigabit gear that will barely break 100Mbps.
  • CCWCCW Suffolk, UK
    edited June 2003
    100MB Full Duplex, maybe putting in 802.11b soon to get rid of some cable

Craig
  • JSH-JohnJSH-John Toronto, Ontario
    edited June 2003
    Hey, at home I just have a 10mbit hub because its just to share internet to a computer downstairs that my sister uses and i just have my own system. At Jet Stream though we have a decent full duplex 100mbit setup w/ a 24-port cisco catalyst. actually we took some new pics of the cabinet recently, check it out:
    DSC01767.jpg
    DSC01770.jpg
    DSC01774.jpg
    and of course the entire cabinet is here: (dont mind the mess in the background thats all of the messy bastards behind us)
    DSC01784.jpg
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    Nice rack :D

How much bandwidth do you have?
    edited June 2003
    On a shared Dual-OC12 Link.

If my memory serves me thats 1244Mbit or 159,232 Kilobytes per second (155 Megabytes per second or so)

Network usage is low, currently during peak times it hits around 30-40% usage.

http://www.jetstreamhosting.com/network.jpg

Were in the OCT Datacenter in the top left, in NJ.
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by dydx
    Nice rack :D

How much bandwidth do you have?

hahahaaha.......

sorry, that just sounds like the worlds worst geek chat-up line....

NS
  • RobRob Detroit, MI
    edited June 2003
    Pretty nice rack dude. I've seen some that you weren't sure if the tech threw up spagetti or not.
    edited June 2003
    no kidding, if you look behind ours there is a mess of cables of other peoples racks...
    edited June 2003
    Nice rack!
    edited June 2003
    Your rack aint too shabby either, sexy.

OH--- You meant the cabinet?
    *blush*
  • KeelhaulKeelhaul Göttingen, Germany
    edited June 2003
    I only have 2 PCs on this cheap network:

2x 3com 3C905C-TX-M
    D-Link DI-614+ router
    standard CAT5 cables
    edited June 2003
    Shock 8 Port 10/100FD switch (with 2MB Buffer)
    D-Link DSL-504 ADSL Router (4 port 10/100FD switched)
    4 Machines on 10/100FD
    CAT5e Cabling

Bench below

NS
  • edited June 2003
    I have 100mb through cheap switch and can get a healthy 8meg/sec transfer that is through FTP and not windows though