Hard Disk Benches

FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
edited June 2003 in Hardware
Hey guys and gals, why not post some Atto's or Sandra benchmarks for the different hard disk subsystems out there. Describe the controller used, the OS, the hdd's, cache on the drives, and the system it's in etc.. We could come up with a real world comparison of what's available to the masses and keep track of the latest and greatest. Thoughts and or comments anyone?

Thanks,
Flint:cool:

Comments

• TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited June 2003
    6 disks. All Atlas 10k III's and an LSI Elite 1600 with 128mb cache in a 64bit slot. This was XP and ntfs with everything including indexing enabled and no tweaks

Tex
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Single ATA100 Western Digital 80GB 8MB SE

ATTO - 50,000 (give or take 100 either way) Hit it around 16, 32.

NS
  • FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited June 2003
    3xX15-18 Gig U160 Cheetahs w/4Meg caches in raid 0 on an LSI Mega Raid Elite 1600 with 128 Meg cahce memory in a 64bit/66Mhz slot on an MSI K7DMaster-L with 2XXP1700' modded to MP's @1800+ speeds.
    edited June 2003
    Turn off the cache and use direct IO and the atto's improve. You will hit about 140,000 on reads and writes that way !

Love ya Man !

tex
    edited June 2003
    I'm getting a total of 3 - 8 Meg chache Cheetahs in a few days and I'll post those Atto's then. They should do better than the others. I'll tweak the latency then also and see what it brings!!

Anyone got a functioning SATA Raid arry going?

Flint
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Well I benched my array after reading this thread and... well, see for yourself.

2x WD 1200JB @ RAID-0 (HP374, KD7-RAID) [edit-16k/16k]
    Windows 2000
    Cacheman and Powerstrip were not running for this test but normally are... but this much slower than original (I could pull up a pic of that too). Folding was running.

Would 3+ months without defragging cause this?
    edited June 2003
    Folding might do it but a single drive like yours should hit 50,000 near the rim and in raid they should 90 to 100,00 on the outside but maybe only 60 to 65,000 at the very end of the disk.

Is the disk real full?

Tex
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Flint: I installed a functioning SATA RAID in a customer's computer, using WD Raptor 10K SATA drives on the Promise 376 SATA RAID chipset.

No pics, but Attos were 78K in RAID 0 with no tweaks on XP. Barton 2500.
    edited June 2003
    Cool! Anyone else? I want to see if it has any performance advantages vs. pata at this time or if waiting for the second generation would be the thing to do. Prime, based on those numbers, it's neck and neck with pata right now but who knows what a little tweaking might have done.
    Also, it seems to me that a properly tuned pata raid 0 with 7200 rpm drives can match it.
    So it seems that it's more money than it's worth atm.

Anyone?

Flint
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by primesuspect
    Flint: I installed a functioning SATA RAID in a customer's computer, using WD Raptor 10K SATA drives on the Promise 376 SATA RAID chipset.

No pics, but Attos were 78K in RAID 0 with no tweaks on XP. Barton 2500.

Was it a problem with the promise you think? I thought the individual drives hit 55,000+ ?

My old Maxtor 740's hit 85,000 in raid-0 and teh WD's can hit above 95,000.

Here is an ATTO of a pair of WD's hung off the HPTR sata controller using converters even. This was tweaked with teh pci latency mods as I wrote in my guide. These were from mtngoats nforce rig btw...

Tex
  • JPPJPP Stuttgart Germany
    edited June 2003
    KD7 Raid. Raid 0 mode 2 x 60Gb IBM 120GXP
    ATTO write / read score 80700 MB/s to 93600 MB/s
    JPP
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by Tex
    Folding might do it but a single drive like yours should hit 50,000 near the rim and in raid they should 90 to 100,00 on the outside but maybe only 60 to 65,000 at the very end of the disk.

Is the disk real full?

Tex

33GB free out of capacity 223GB, feels like it's getting full... I think I'll defrag this week and try ATTO again. But can fragmentation do this or is it merely because it's getting full? Scores were definitely above 80 before.
    edited June 2003
    More because of full but if the remaining is really fragged then it can effect it.

Sandra uses a huge test file so its really a true picture in some ways of what the real performace is. ATTO is only 33 mb so it can hit non-fragged pieces pretty easy.

Tex
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited June 2003
    Lets see, these are fairly old, so
  • tUxtUx Singapore
    edited June 2003
    If I'm running on a single drive, what should I set for the Total Length value?
    edited June 2003
    Same thing. 32mb
  • KeelhaulKeelhaul Göttingen, Germany
    edited June 2003
    "BOOTY" machine (see below)
    160GB Maxtor DM9+ with 8MB cache,
    80GB NTFS partition on WinXP SP1a.
  • EQuitoEQuito SoCal, USA
    edited June 2003
    FAT32, more specs below...
    edited June 2003
    EQ have you messed with the pci latency at all ? It appears teh latency for the sata controller needs bumped up maybe?

Tex
    edited June 2003
    No, I haven't done any tweaks. I'm not into OC'ing or benchmarking as much as I used to... :(
    edited June 2003
    It would take ya 5 minutes if you want to mess with it. Should boost the writes way up.

Tex
    edited June 2003
    Are you familiar with this board and the SATA corruption issue?
    Abit had to release a bios with the option to increase latency to avoid data corruption on dives attached to the SATA ports and/or using RAID0.
    Originally, was set to 30us but it had to be raised to 38us or even 1ms in order to avoid corruption.
    So until NVidia, SiliconImage and Abit fix the issue I'm afraid threre is no much we can do. Decreasing latency will cause corruption but if you have a suggestion I'm all ears... :D
  • EnisadaEnisada Edmonton Member
    edited June 2003
    I'll post my ATTO's results when I get home. Running 10K Raptors RAID 0 on nforce 2 SATA. TIll then.....

Enisada
  • edited June 2003
    Im thinking about getting SATA or SCSI dont know witch one, are how much it's going to be, or should I stick with my ATA66 12g hard drive?
    edited June 2003
    Here are my SATA Raptors on a nforce 2 Sil 3112 Controllor. ANy advice to make it faster would be appreciated....
    edited June 2003
    Here are my PATA WD 1200JB on a HPT374 Controllor. Any advice to make it faster would be appreciated....
    edited June 2003
    How was it striped and formated? It should do more like this ..

This is two WD SE's using converters on a HPT sata raid card on a nforce2.

Tex
    edited June 2003
    Oops.. First thing run the test again and change the total length to 32mb

Tex
    edited June 2003
    Yes going to test right now, I just noticed that....
    edited June 2003
    Here is the new test format is NTFS everything default. Let me know what I should change. These are PATA...