Hard Disk Benches

Comments

• TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited June 2003
    Thats tons better ! Now check the pci latency of the controller and see if doubling it helps.

Tex
  • EnisadaEnisada Edmonton Member
    edited June 2003
    Here are my SATA scores everything default again....
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    System - http://atomnet.co.uk?p=Systems#RedDwarf

Used to bench alot higher (50000/50000) when empty.

NS
    edited June 2003
    May sound like a noobish question but where to I go to check the pci latency of the controller???
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Use PowerStrip, the program more commonly known for overclocking any video card. Right click the system tray icon, Options menu -> Adapter information...

You can cycle through all the devices with the up and down arrows to the right of the device name. The key is the latency. You can change it by unticking "Read only" and raising or lowering as desired. For me, higher latency on the RAID controller means faster writes.
  • FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited June 2003
    Now we're getting somewhere! An Atto that shows an SATA Raid setup outperforming a PATA setup. That is just what I was looking for. Apparently there is some reason to migrate.

Let's see some more if you've got them!

Flint
  • EQuitoEQuito SoCal, USA
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by Flintstone
    Now we're getting somewhere! An Atto that shows an SATA Raid setup outperforming a PATA setup.
    Flint, look closely, those are Raptors (native SATA/10k rpm) we're talking about...
    SATA is no much faster than PATA if using regular IDE drives as demostrated by previous benchmarks.
    Only when using highly tweaked WD SE's as shown by Tex you can really tell the difference.

Now, Raptors are a whole new ball game and to be honest, Enisada should be able to get much higher scores out of those than 90+k
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by Enisada
    May sound like a noobish question but where to I go to check the pci latency of the controller???

All you ever wanted to know about pci latency tweaking with powerstrip.

Good Luck !

Tex

http://www.digitalferret.com/sections.php?name=Guides&rop=showcontent&id=3
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by EQuito
    Flint, look closely, those are Raptors (native SATA/10k rpm) we're talking about...
    SATA is no much faster than PATA if using regular IDE drives as demostrated by previous benchmarks.
    Only when using highly tweaked WD SE's as shown by Tex you can really tell the difference.

Now, Raptors are a whole new ball game and to be honest, Enisada should be able to get much higher scores out of those than 90+k

How do I go about getting these higher scores...PCI Latency Tweaking???

Enisada
    edited June 2003
    How do I go about getting these higher scores...PCI Latency Tweaking???
    Don't ask me dude, ask the master from Texas... :D
    I'm just along for the ride with my poor old IBM's... :(

No seriously, I've been out of the loop for too long but Tex will fix you up real good.
    I've seen Raptors hit over 100k.
    edited June 2003
    I keep playing with it until Tex get back to this thread....

Enisada
    edited June 2003
    Check it out:
    edited June 2003
    What kind of setup are you using???
    edited June 2003
    Here is the best I get with my WD setup....
    edited June 2003
    Here is the best I get with my SATA WD Raptor setup....
    edited June 2003
    What kind of setup are you using???
    No, that ain't mine. I told you I've seen Raptors hit over 100k and that's the proof but this isn't it, I just can find the other ones...

thesaucier

NF7-s 1.2 with 2700+ @ 11.5 X 220
    corsiar3500 XMS dual@ 6222 on dual
    OC Systems level III 9700 pro @420/730
    two WD raptor serial drives raid 0

http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13433
  • HatopHatop Alabama
    edited June 2003
    single IBM 15k rpm 18.4 gig drive (model 3z15 or something)
    atto.jpg

i think something is off. This is from a brandnew install of XP Pro, FAT32, with almost no disk usage.
    edited June 2003
    Erm......... note to everyone, save these images as GIF files, they will be about <10k as opposed to 50-60k. Just looking out for the people on Modems.

NS
  • HatopHatop Alabama
    edited June 2003
    it came out 40k larger for me...maybe xp gif encoding wrong or something.but alright, ill change it.
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by Hatop
    single IBM 15k rpm 18.4 gig drive (model 3z15 or something)
    atto.gif

i think something is off. This is from a brandnew install of XP Pro, FAT32, with almost no disk usage.

Also you can only really go by the reads on atto with most but not all scsi controllers right now still on XP. They made changes in the filesystems to fix bugs. The writes look artifically low but it only impacts ya in real life doing file copies to the scsi using explorer and running atto. Convert the drive to dynamic and the writes jump way up. Or they also appear to have new options regarding this with win2k3 which I run also so perhaps the next service pack will include new options in XP also.

If thats an older u160 then the scores are maybe close. What controller is it on?

Tex
    edited June 2003
    Something is very off with that, that GIF is 101k, use something like photoshop of paint shop pro.

NS
    edited June 2003
    Thats the least of his problems his HD is a hurting unit...
  • HatopHatop Alabama
    edited June 2003
    I suppose i could try to use 2k3 or whatever, but I don't really have it handy. Ill try the dynamic drive option. Also this is running off of a adaptec aic 7891 ultra2 lvd controller. its the only scsi device on it, and i think that ultra2 lvd has a high enough bus speed to keep a single drive going. It seems to perform faster than atto says as I just tested it with HD tach and my average reads are ~45 MB. Also it beats the pants off my ide drives in loading games still, despite atto saying the ide drives are faster in every aspect. Its not new persey, but it is an IBM Ultrastar 36Z15 15k rpm disk. I have read on storagereview that it should be a decently fast drive. Any other reasons why its reads are low?
    edited June 2003
    Just convert to dynamic you will be shocked especially at the top end of the graph. It will jump from them being like 127 to three or four thousand.

I didn't look close at the top end before That looks very familiar!. My lsi u160 did the same thing under XP. Is it empty? Do this. Comvert to dynamic and format it with a cluster size of like 64. Also check the pci latency of the controller itself. That can help but its usually just the writes that get helped.
  • HatopHatop Alabama
    edited June 2003
    WOW did that make a difference.
    atto2.jpg

now its dynamic and the reads doubled in some cases
    :-D
    edited June 2003
    And now read the pci latency guide I posted and we can kick the writes in the pants too ! (grin)

Your 15 minutes from paradise.

Tex Support at your service as always my friend.
    edited June 2003
    Hey Tex, so my two RAIDs are all tweak up for the performance that I can expect from them. Sorry to persist just want to get the best out of my system.
  • HatopHatop Alabama
    edited June 2003
    :D:D:D

Tex is yay, thanks much for the help :)
    edited June 2003
    Hey Tex, so my two RAIDs are all tweak up for the performance that I can expect from them. Sorry to persist just want to get the best out of my system.

You looked good but if you wanted to tweak anything then check the pci latency. I have never user and have no experiance with that sata controller. It was the sis one wasn't it?

Do they have differant bios and driver versions for it? Tmod our killer bios guy could help ya patch in other bios versions if its on your MB and stuff but the main thing to check would of been the pci latency. Usually a symptom of the latency being set low is the writes lagging way behind the reads and the sata scores were dead on. The other hpt needed some tweaking it seems as the writes were lower. With the hpts differant bios and driver versions seemed to really help also as they have new versions all the time. Promise seems to offer way fewer updates.

Tex
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by Hatop
    :D:D:D

Tex is yay, thanks much for the help :)

But the writes are to low. Did you check the pci latency for the controller. I linked a guide I wrote about adjusting the latency of disk controllers and used a scsi controller as an example. I bet we can kick the writes ass up another 15 to 20,000 also very possibly.

Tex