Best 9700/9800 card?

Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
edited June 2003 in Hardware
I need another video card to go in my K7D-L system so I can put the 8500 out of there in my A7N8X Deluxe (which is now a KX7 because the A7N8X is being RMAed) system... I'm looking @ the 9700 Pro & 9800 Pro, but I want to get the best (fastest/most OCable) card possible... the best 9800 seems to be the Powercolor 128MB... I'm not sure on the 9700 tho...

So, who makes the best 9700 and 9800 cards?

Comments

• edited June 2003
    Well...... (Puts thinking cap on)

I think it depends on when you are getting this new gear because i dont really like the 9800 Pro its not a great leap from the 9700 Pro maybe 10-15% and probably with some decent cooling you can OC the 9700 Pro to a respectable level.

But going back to the original question in the 9800 Pro catergory the powercolor is the fastest because of its higher clock speeds but it cant really take much more OC'ing on stock cooling but maybe if you VMod it and get some decent cooling in there you can OC it even higher :D

But personnaly i think sapphire makes the best 9700 and 9800 cards they are very overclockable even with stock cooling :)

But then again Sapphire is one of the only suppliers in europe so my choices are pretty limited, but hay were not speaking about me are we (even though i like it that way) :P

I remember seeing a 18 card 9800 pro roundup but i cant remember where it was :( but they did'nt overclock them i think. Just read around at differnt reviews and you will get a good idea at what the best one for you is.
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I have the Sapphire 9800 Pro and I had a Sapphire 9500 and I love both cards. You can get the 9800 pro @ newegg for like $390 something (might've dropped in the 10 days that I have had my card)
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited June 2003
    how would I vmod the ram on the powercolor tho... that thing has 2.2 or 2ns ram, which is good for ~500MHz, but the supply voltage is too low for that speed...
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I'm runnin the Tyan Tachyon Radeon 9700 Pro and it rocks. Got 5243 (3D Mark2003). And it comes with OC software on the Driver CD. I've just tweaked my system a small bit for that score and haven't really overclocked anything yet. Also here's a good ATi overclocking program-- http://www.rage3d.com/r3dtweak/. Frag On. :cool: