Hot wheather = Magic Smoke...

edited June 2003 in Hardware
My 2100 has just reached 52c while paying CS, should I be worrying? Which is the best fan on the market currently?

Comments

• edited June 2003
    delta or vantec tornado
  • ALiEN509ALiEN509 Ohio
    edited June 2003
    my 1700+ hits 52 playing UT2003. I fret when it goes near 54, that's when the computer it's self starts to malfunction.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited June 2003
    I would go with a smartfan or a y.s tech, How much noise can you take? The Tornado is loud, around 55dba.
  • edited June 2003
    First of all, unless you're experiencing instability, you shouldn't care about temps. You'll experience instabilities long before you ruin your processor (unless you have NO heatsink).

Second, a fan isn't worth shit without a good heatsink under it. If you have "Valuetech Extruded Aluminum Performance Heatsink", you might want to replace that with something more competent, like a Thermalright SK or SLK series heatsink.
  • CCWCCW Suffolk, UK
    edited June 2003
    Id say the Thermalright SLK series, youll have to make sure it wil lfit on your motherboard as it is fairly large. A good 92mm fan with 40 - 50cfm of airflow over it will be good enough.

Whats the airflow like in your system? Do you have mnay case fans?

Craig
  • DexterHolland911DexterHolland911 Hong Kong
    edited June 2003
    More importantly, what heatsink are you using? And DJ that's not necessarily true, if you want the maximum life out of your chips you'll have to keep them nice and cool. Personally anything over 50 degrees and I try and get the temp back down (turn on more case fans etc) But you shouldn't be too worried if it's only 52, that reading is probably not too accurate and as long as your computer doesn't become unstable it shouldn't be a concern.
  • CCWCCW Suffolk, UK
    edited June 2003
    If its an external temperature sensor, add about 20*C so 50*C becomes 70*C

I would never allow a chip to go above 50*C with external sensor.

Craig
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Leave the side of your case off a while to see whether it may be heat build up in the case as opposed to a crap HSF on the processor.

NS
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by CCW
    Id say the Thermalright SLK series, youll have to make sure it wil lfit on your motherboard as it is fairly large. A good 92mm fan with 40 - 50cfm of airflow over it will be good enough.

Also if you plan on strapping a 92mm fan on it, make sure you get the slk-900u
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited June 2003
    the slk-900 won't fit on a lot of the socket a boards around tho... make sure it fits yours before you buy one... if you're talking about the system in your sig, it does not fit the A7N8X...
  • edited June 2003
    Originally posted by DexterHolland911
    More importantly, what heatsink are you using? And DJ that's not necessarily true, if you want the maximum life out of your chips you'll have to keep them nice and cool. Personally anything over 50 degrees and I try and get the temp back down (turn on more case fans etc) But you shouldn't be too worried if it's only 52, that reading is probably not too accurate and as long as your computer doesn't become unstable it shouldn't be a concern.

Athlons are rated to 80 or 90°c, so they're good til then. The maximum life won't be shortened that much, because who really keeps their processors around for that long?
  • edited June 2003
    I think I have enough case fans...

1 for the HDD's
    2 Right next to the CPU
    One on the side of the case

I think that'll do

I've got a pretty old HS, from like around 1.5 years ago. Probably have come out with better stuff by now.
    edited June 2003
    Walter, do you know the model of your heatsink? DJ, athlons are indeed rated to 80 or 90c. I would like to see you run yours at 70c (well, a temp reading of 70c anyways). True the maximum life won't be shortened that much, but it does get shortened. CPU failure is more likely at higher temperatures. Rather safe than sorry, as the old saying goes.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I have ran my old Thunderbird at 84'c while Playing Sacrifice (appropriate name) the game was a little stuttery but the system was stable. Heatsink was mounted badly, but still, CPU was fine and didnt crash.

NS
  • edited June 2003
    Originally posted by Walter E. Kurtz
    My 2100 has just reached 52c while paying CS, should I be worrying? Which is the best fan on the market currently?

I'ld say its hardly serious.
    Originally posted by DJ-Quack
    First of all, unless you're experiencing instability, you shouldn't care about temps. You'll experience instabilities long before you ruin your processor (unless you have NO heatsink).

Second, a fan isn't worth shit without a good heatsink under it. If you have "Valuetech Extruded Aluminum Performance Heatsink", you might want to replace that with something more competent, like a Thermalright SK or SLK series heatsink.

I agree 100% Also Its also no good having a top of the range HSF if your room temp is hottttt!

Yes Dexter, the hotter the less life, but come on! We all replace our CPU's at LEAST (and I am being kind here) once every two years.

52c now and then ain't going to kill your CPU in 5 years let alone 2.

And if you want my CPU that has lasted 5 years, you can do.

Its 350Mhz.
    edited June 2003
    Of course Coaster, I was merely responding to:
    First of all, unless you're experiencing instability, you shouldn't care about temps

Which is not true. :)