RAM HS for Vid Card Any Good??

EnisadaEnisada Edmonton Member
edited June 2003 in Hardware
I'm looking at getting some RAM HS for my vid card not sure if they are all that good. I read a few review of some. I would like to know what your experiance with them were like??

Comments

• stoopidstoopid Albany, NY New
    edited June 2003
    I've made my own in the past from old P1 heatsinks, lapped, and mounted with arctic silver epoxy. Didn't do a damn bit of good without a volt mod... cooling alone won't help when overclocking the memory/core (though it helps with core stability when overclocking).
  • DexterHolland911DexterHolland911 Hong Kong
    edited June 2003
    It depends on what graphics card you have. For the GF4s it really doesn't do much, maybe a dozen extra mhz on the RAM overclock at best. For older cards, it makes a difference. Depends on your gfx card.
  • CCWCCW Suffolk, UK
    edited June 2003
    It depends on the type of modules on the card. If the card uses BGA there is no point especially with lower overclocks because BGA modules are designed to dissipate heat better.

TPOS however creates more heta so its worth putitng heatsinks on them. Usually its betetr to get a bit of air blwoing over them though until you are seriosuly overclocking them when a bit of extra air and RAMsinks are needed.

Craig
  • stoopidstoopid Albany, NY New
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by DexterHolland911
    It depends on what graphics card you have. For the GF4s it really doesn't do much, maybe a dozen extra mhz on the RAM overclock at best. For older cards, it makes a difference. Depends on your gfx card.

That's a good point, as CCW explained... I had a GF4 Ti which has the bga memory modules, which don't get hot anyway (but would if they were volt modded).
  • EnisadaEnisada Edmonton Member
    edited June 2003
    I'm running a 9500Pro not sure what type of memory modules thay are though....
  • CCWCCW Suffolk, UK
    edited June 2003
    they will probably be BGA (small square ones)
  • EnisadaEnisada Edmonton Member
    edited June 2003
    Yep thats what they look like. So it wouldn't help all that much other than to make it look pretty??
  • edited June 2003
    i put ram heatsinks on my geforce4 ti and they didnt do anything
    i put ram heatsinks on my ATI 9500pro and they didnt do anything
    the only thing you need ram heatsinks for are old video cards like geforce3 and down.
  • CCWCCW Suffolk, UK
    edited June 2003
    coincidence then that they use TPOS matt? :D

only for real high overclocks mem sinks are useful

Craig
  • edited June 2003
    on my 9700pro my ram is Infieon 3.3ns and the ram sinks didnt do anything.
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    Does anyone remember back in the day on the old icrontic when Mortin & Co taped a super orb to a TNT2 and OCed the core to 400MHz? :D

Those were the days!

Bring back the ghetto hardware articles :D
  • edited June 2003
    Originally posted by dydx
    Does anyone remember back in the day on the old icrontic when Mortin & Co taped a super orb to a TNT2 and OCed the core to 400MHz? :D

Those were the days!

Bring back the ghetto hardware articles :D

no i remember the day when i overclocked my TNT2 to 200mhz core and 200mhz mem
  • DexterHolland911DexterHolland911 Hong Kong
    edited June 2003
    Even volt modded and cranked up real high heatsinks only are slightly useful on the Ti4600. But they do help, as I said earlier, around 10-15mhz. In short, you shouldn't need them.
  • edited June 2003
    Put heat sink on a videocards is not really useful if you don't overclock it really high. Even if you don't have heatsink on your rams, you can get good result. The most important is to cool you chip.