TT Volcano 11

MrBillMrBill Missouri Member
edited June 2003 in Hardware
We don't have a cooling forum, so I'll ask here.

Is anyone using a Volcano 11 heat sink? If so, what CPU do you have and what specs are you running it at? What are your temps?

I have a Volcano7 and two Volcano9 hs/f. The Volcano7 seems to do a better job than the Volcano 9, so I'm wondering about the Volcano11. I need something inexpensive for a 2500+ Barton that will be overclocked.

TIA,

Bill

Comments

• edited June 2003
    MrBill, we really need to get you off those TT hsf units and switched over to Thermalright, man.:D Go to SVcompucycle and get you a Thermalright SK7 for $19.99 and a good 80mm fan that is fairly quiet fan like a Delta FFB0812HHE focused flow fan(sidewindercomputers has those) or maybe one of the variable speed fans. The performance of the SK7 is right under the SLK800 and is considerably cheaper and better than any hsf that TT puts out, IMO.:)
  • EnisadaEnisada Edmonton Member
    edited June 2003
    I have one of those for one of my systems. I like it alot. Mostly because it uses a bracket on the back of your case so you can adjust the noise/speed of the fan. At full speed on a 3000+ it is 50C in a 30C room. Yes there are lots of computer in my room. So do the math I guess. I think it performs pretty good. Anf if you have a window the grill of the HSF looks pretty cool....
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited June 2003
    TT heatsinks are not exactly what I would call high performance heatsinks... they do OK, but there's much, much better out there. mudd is right- get a Thermalright SK-7 or SLK-800 and a TT SmartFan2 or Vantec Tornado...
  • CCWCCW Suffolk, UK
    edited June 2003
    I have to agree with the above people, ThermalTake stuff isnt great at all.

Craig
  • EMNEMN
    edited June 2003
    Yeah, everyone pretty much nailed. TT is not for high performance. It looks "neat" and all, but in the end it's crap.

An SLK-900 is the best one can get before going to watercooling. You can't beat 600grams of pure copper. ;)
  • MrBillMrBill Missouri Member
    edited June 2003
    Alright...I knew when I posted this, I would get recommendations for the SK-7 and SLK800. Those seem to be the HS of choice for most everyone here.

My volcano7 keeps my xp1700 tbred-a running at 1850mhz at 36c while folding gromacs. I don't think that's too shabby.

I will do some more research. Thanks for the input guys! :)
  • CCWCCW Suffolk, UK
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by EvilMathNinja
    You can't beat 600grams of pure copper. ;)

You can, 600grams of silver. Also, copper conducts better when its unpure.

Craig
  • edited June 2003
    MrBill, you should know better than to ask about a TT hsf here; you know what the answer will be.;) :p I have a hard on for TT hsf's ever since a Volcano 2 broke a lug off a mobo on me due to the crappy clip design.:mad:

With that said about their hsf units, not all TT's products are crap. They make a nice 3 speed fan controller switch that mounts up in a slot plate in the back of your computer. The thing is robust enough to even handle a Delta FFB0812EHE or Vantec Tornado and really takes the sting out of their noise factor on medium or low speeds. One of those along with a Delta FFB0812EHE or SHE and a SK7 will be all the cooling you will need unless you would decide to water cool or vapo it. Or you can just go with the Delta FFB0812HHE, which doesn't need that H-M-L controller because it only turns around 3400 rpms and is pretty quiet. It still has the focusing vanes like it's louder brothers though, which direct the airflow into your heatsink better than a regular axial flow case fan.
    edited June 2003
    Mr. Bill... I hope I didn't give u the impression that the V11 was total crap- it's not. It's a halfway decent heatsink, but it's too expensive for the performance you get out of it- a Thermalright unit with an 80mm Smartfan2 will get u much better performance for ~ the same price

I like Thermaltake's SmartFan 2 a LOT. It's the only decent everflow fan I'v ever seen, and it's easily the best 80x25mm fan available. It's specs are somewhat overrated (75cfm? I don't think so... it doesn't flow 1/2 again as much as my Sunon BX-6s do, but it's probably a good 60cfm or so) and with all the extras it comes with, if you can find it for a good price, they're a steal. My advice is to e-mail PixelUSA (www.pixelusa.com) and see if they do mail order. I think they do, but they've got them for $9.98 each, which is the cheapest I've seen them. I've been going to them for years, and I've yet to have a problem...

Basically, the V11 is passable, but the thermalrights are much better. BTW, your V7 may do 36*C on your 1700 but is that reading the built-in diode or an in-socket thermistor? 'Cause my SLK-800 (the ORIGINAL one, not the better newer -A model, which I haven't tested on an identical system yet) with a TT SmartFan2 was keeping an AIRGA 2200+ @ 1.85v & 2080MHz (166x12.5) @ <110*F/43*C under full load reading the cpu's internal diode thru MBM5 on an A7N8X-Deluxe...
  • CCWCCW Suffolk, UK
    edited June 2003
    If its an external, not core reading you should add at least 20*C to get core temp, just a tip ;)

Craig
    edited June 2003
    It's reading whatever MBM5 reads on a KX7-333. It has been as high as 50c in a hot room so I wouldn't think it is off by 20c. :)

Haven't made a HS/F purchase yet. I'll probably run it with the stock hs/f that comes with it until I can make a decision what to buy. :)

Mudd: Yes, I kinda knew better than to ask. But, I knew if nobody had one, and even if they did, I would get some recommendations. :)
    edited June 2003
    MrBill, I've got a KX7-333... it reads from an in-socket diode, which is indeed off by as much as 30*F (it always reads low btw... NEVER high) so your chip is likely to be running at more like 115-130*F/46-55*C.

For the record, I've had readings on my KX7 running a 2200 in a very poorly ventillated case as high as 122*F, which is 50*C, so the actual temperature was closer to 140-150*F/60-66*C...

As I said, the V11 is an OK heatsink- I mean, it's hard to f**k up something when it's solid copper... but I can guarantee that a SLK-800 is a substantially better solution, especially when combined with a SmartFan2... I mean, all 3 of my grandfather's computers, which are Pally 1800s and 1900s that I configured ~2 years ago, run Tt V6s. They run stably and relatively cool (they read ~100*F in MBM, but I dunno where the MSI KT266A boards get that data from) altho they're a touch on the noisy side for my liking... However, they're not performance heatsinks by any stretch of the imagination... Tt just doesn't make ultra high-performance stuff...
    edited June 2003
    Ok...

I asked, you answered. I have a SK-7 with a TT Smartfan II on the way.

I'll post full specs w/pictures when I get everything put together. :)
  • citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    u can't beat thermalright or swiftech air cooled products,

my 2 cents.
    edited June 2003
    I asked, you answered. I have a SK-7 with a TT Smartfan II on the way

Welcome to the dark side :D

citrix... you can beat swiftech's products- that's Thermalright's job :D
  • citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    yup, no doubt, thermalright pwns