athlon xp's

edited June 2003 in Hardware
on the front it says "for windows XP"

does that means it only works with windows xp or does that mean it is just compatible with windows xp...

i just like my win2kpro... can i still use it with the barton?

something tells me that the os doesnt matter... but better safe then sorry

Comments

• TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited June 2003
    Atlhon XP's run every OS.

Tex
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    They've just supposedly been optimized for Windows XP.
  • --DSotM----DSotM-- Adelaide, Australia
    edited June 2003
    they just added XP to their CPU name coz it was the flavour of the month at that time

WinXP
    detonatorXP
    AthlonXP

They thought it was trendy, I think they should retire
    edited June 2003
    Thats what I think also. Its no more optimized for Win XP then any other OS really.

Tex
  • edited June 2003
    Originally posted by ={DSotM}=
    they just added XP to their CPU name coz it was the flavour of the month at that time

WinXP
    detonatorXP
    AthlonXP

They thought it was trendy, I think they should retire

Exactly my feeling, its just a great big con act, fortunately AMD owners themselves know the deal, and purchase it based entirely on the fact its the best CPU

Pentium XP

Just doesn’t work does it? Though it does remind me, they tried to make out that Pentiums "surf the net" quicker at one time... yeah right, the actual speed of your modem is not important after all...
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited June 2003
    haha I remember that Coaster, back in the day when I purchased a Sony Vaio, it came with a sheet with a link to a intel site for the all new surf the internet faster with your new pIII.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    How did that work? Wasnt that blatantly false advertising? As my mate had a P3 and was like....... erm........ why is your internet faster?

NS
  • CCWCCW Suffolk, UK
    edited June 2003
    it isnt named Athlno XP becasue of win XP but for Xtreme performance or some crap

Craig
    edited June 2003
    I believe its actually the "Athlon eXPerience".

NS
    edited June 2003
    NS I'm not sure how it actually worked, my 56k never went any faster that I could tell, heh

But the site they were advertising was supposed to be enhanced from your Pentium III or some crap, it was all marketing bs.
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    The SSE instructions apparently boost performance in internet applications, voice recognition, games etc, all the buzzwords that will make the home user buy theyre stuff.

Now AMD has caught on with the 'xp' buzzword.

mD
  • LIQuidLIQuid Raleigh, NC
    edited June 2003
    Its all stupid... You know how microsoft is, they make all the hardware manufacturers sell out to them and place the word "microsoft" somewhere on their product.
  • CCWCCW Suffolk, UK
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by NightShade737
    I believe its actually the "Athlon eXPerience".

NS

buy a retail AMD processor box and you will see otherwise

Craig
    edited June 2003
    I dont buy retail stuff ever is OEM is available so consequently I have never bought a retail XP.

NS
  • CCWCCW Suffolk, UK
    edited June 2003
    i only buy OEM also, howvever go to a computer shop and ask to see the retial packaging for an AMD Athlon XP

Craig
    edited June 2003
    It was a big deal when Win XP was launched to be "XP certified". Or at least MS tried to make it seem like a big deal anyway.

And I am sure they did it to counter Intel claims that theirs ran XP better ...

Tex
  • CCWCCW Suffolk, UK
    edited June 2003
    XP runs rubbish anyway, stupid lil memory hogging OS

if they scrapped the curvacios pretty in your face frilly kiddies graphics it would be fast and be an improvement over 2k

Craig
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    MS really went to town getting fisher price 3 year old software engineers to make the UI..

Classic mode uses way less memory.

2K is more stable, xp just cant reach the same uptimes if you actually use the machines.

mD
    edited June 2003
    I've reached about the same uptimes with 2k as well as xp, with the service packs installed and all. I mean they are both based off the nt kernel.
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    After about 3 days of constant use, my xp machine starts to crawl as explorer.exe is using about 700mb of RAM. I end task it, and open it again, and it goes back to normal. This, however never happened in 2k, which is why I think its a better os.

mD
  • CCWCCW Suffolk, UK
    edited June 2003
    2k is also much faster for 3dmark benching

Craig
    edited June 2003
    And 98 always scored better on 3DMark, so what is the solution? Go back to Win98? Shyaa, right....

NS
  • CCWCCW Suffolk, UK
    edited June 2003
    most 3d benching is done on 2k
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    The 9x platform should rot in hell.

Microsoft should have ported consumer OSes to the NT kernel ages ago.

It was a right pain in the arse owning two machines when computers werent afordable, one to run NT 3.51 and one ro run 95.

mD