How To: Display Your F@H Stats on Coolmon:

edited December 2005 in Folding@Home
Many people have been asking as of late how some of our other members have been displaying their F@H stats, and system info on the desktop. The answer, my friends, is a neat little freeware app called “Coolmon”. Using this guide, you could set up Coolmon to do the same thing for you.

1. First, download Coolmon. After downloading, install the software.

2. After Coolmon’s installation is finished, start Coolmon using the new icon available in your Start menu (if the installer has not started it already).

3. Next, you’ll need to download the script (Made by one of our SM forum members, t1rhino), which retrieves your personal F@H information from the tracker. Save this file in the same directory you installed Coolmon.

4. Next, go to the directory you installed Coolmon, using either Windows Explorer, or My Computer (Fig. 1 is shown with using Windows Explorer). Right click on the script file (default file name is “stats.vbs”) and select “Edit”. A new Notepad window should open, showing the contents of the script file.

<center>editscript.jpg
Fig. 1: Opening the script file in Notepad.</center>

5. In the Notepad window which opened in step 4, you will see (under the comment “Set the Folding@Home user and team to be queried”) the “TeamID”, “Username”, and “UserID” fields (highlighted in pic. 2). Edit these fields to coincide with your corresponding account information, as I have shown below.

<center>insertdata.jpg
Fig 2: Adding your personal F@H account information.</center>

6. Save the script, and close Notepad. Then, double click the “stats.vbs” file (like you would to start any other executable file), note the “t1rhino.txt” file the script creates. This is where your personal F@H information is actually stored on your computer

7. Now look in your system tray. Provided you had installed/started Coolmon correctly, there should be a Coolmon icon sitting in your tray. Right click this icon, and select “Display Items”.

<center>selectdisplayitems.jpg
Fig 3: Right click on the Coolmon icon in the tray, and select “Display items” from the pop-up menu.</center>

8. A new window should opened entitled “Options”. This window (using an HTML-like language) specifies exactly what information is displayed on your desktop. In this window, on the last line, cut and paste this code:

[php]
<C:Red>Folding@Home Stats:</C>

<C:$FF8000><b>Team Rank: <NAME=FILEDATA FORMAT="t1rhino.txt,3"></C>
<C:Lime><b>Past 24 Hours: <NAME=FILEDATA FORMAT="t1rhino.txt,6"></C>
<C:Aqua><b>Points Weekly: <NAME=FILEDATA FORMAT="t1rhino.txt,7"></C>
<C:Fuchsia><b>Total Points: <NAME=FILEDATA FORMAT="t1rhino.txt,8"></C>[/php]

9. Next press the “Apply” button in the bottom of the window, and look at the new text added to the output. Your outputted text should look something like Fig. 5 (keep in mind, your actual stats will differ from my own).

<center>visiblestats.jpg
Fig 4: The resulting stats appear after applying code.</center>

10. Press the “Ok” button on the Options window.

11. Now chances are the default position of this information is not where you would like to keep it. To move this information: Right click on the Coolmon tray icon, select “Layout”, then select “Display dragging handle” from the resulting menu. (Fig. 5)

<center>showdragginghandle.jpg
Fig 5: Right-click on the Coolmon tray icon, then select “Layout”, then “Show Dragging Handle” from the menu.</center>

12. In the top-center of Coolmon’s displayed stats, there should now be 2 lines. Between these two lines is a “Dragging Handle” which works the same way as the title bar of most windows. So, left-click this area, and drag the stats to where you want them to display. After you are happy with it’s placement, go back into the Coolmon’s tray menu, and uncheck “Show Dragging Handle”, and then select both “Lock Placement” and “Pin to Desktop”. This will “stick” the stats window to your specified desktop position. If you would like to further adjust the look of this status window, feel free to experiment with the options available in the Layout menu. For more information on these other options, check Coolmon’s help file.

Now that you have Coolmon looking the way you wish, you need to tell your computer to run the script. Since the script only updates the information once per execution, you will need to specify when/how often Windows should re-run the script. To do this, you need to add the script file into your “Scheduled Tasks” folder on Windows. The following shows how this is done on a Windows 2K/XP operating system.

1. Press the Start button on your taskbar. Then select Programs, then Accessories, then System Tools, and finally select “Scheduled Tasks”. (Fig 6)

<center>openingscheduledtasks.jpg
Fig 6: Select and open “Scheduled Tasks”.</center>

2. From the “Scheduled Tasks” window which opened after step 1, right click on the window, select “New” from the resulting menu, then select “Scheduled Tasks”. (Fig 7)

<center>newscheduledtasks.jpg
Fig 7: Create a new “Scheduled Task”.</center>

A new selection appears in the window, allowing you to type the name of your task. You can name this task whatever you wish, but for this tutorial, I chose to call this task “stats”. Press Enter after you typed your chosen name.

3. Click on your new task, and press Enter. A new window will open, giving you details concerning the what/where/when’s of your new task. First, we’ll specify the file to run. In this case, that file will be the “stats.vbs” file you saved in your Coolmon install directory. For the “Run” box, select the “Browse” button next to it, and locate the said “stats.vbs” file. After you have located it, highlight it, and press “Ok”. The rest of the info should fill themselves in. (Fig. 8)

<center>selectfile.jpg
Fig. 8: Select the “stats.vbs” file using the “Browse” button.</center>

4. Next, press the “Schedule” tab. Now, you will specify the day/time you would like to run the script. I recommend at least 1 time a day, every “1 days”, at 12AM, or any other time of day which works best for you. (Fig. 10) If you like, you could also have the computer run the script more than once a day, and more than one time per day, giving you more “up to date” results.

<center>settime.jpg
Fig. 9: Use the options under the “Schedule” tab to set the time and day to run the stats script.</center>

5. Press “Ok”. Your stats information in Coolmon will now update at whatever time(s) you selected.

That’s it! Happy folding!

If you have any more questions, or found some errors (there is bound to be some) please post it, and I’ll get it fixed.

Comments

• t1rhinot1rhino Toronto
    edited November 2003
    Very nice how-to guide! :fold::)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Excellent! Thanks, TheSMJ!
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited November 2003
    Sweet. I am going to add a link to this thread to the 'Everything about FAH' thread.:)
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Thanks TheSmJ & t1rhino ...any chance of getting a script to display (Number Name Credit Total Team) from here also/instead http://folding.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/searchstats ? Just a thought.
  • edited November 2003
    Ohh, I've been sticky'd!

csimon: Thats t1rhino's thang, as he or someone else would have to modify the script for the other site.
    edited November 2003
    thanks ...found three here! fah.zip

getting errors on script:fahlog.vbs line:82 char:1 :confused:
    not even worth d'loading unless you know how to code IMHO
  • t1rhinot1rhino Toronto
    edited November 2003
    I will look at modifying the script tomorrow at work. :)
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    TheSmj, nice article by the way, just a little suggestion, when u are taking a screenshot of a particular window, u can use alt+print screen, it will only capture the window that's active. save u time to cut and edit, and it will probably look better.
  • t1rhinot1rhino Toronto
    edited November 2003
    csimon had this to say

The problem with those scripts is that they use JScript. I have had lots of problems running those on XP for some reason.
    So what I did is create a pure VBScript one.
    I will try to create a VBScript one for folding.stanford.edu...
    edited November 2003
    t1rhino had this to say
    csimon had this to say

The problem with those scripts is that they use JScript. I have had lots of problems running those on XP for some reason.
    So what I did is create a pure VBScript one.
    I will try to create a VBScript one for folding.stanford.edu...
    you are da man ...I just started learning the code last weekend ...thanks again
  • edited November 2003
    leishi85 had this to say
    TheSmj, nice article by the way, just a little suggestion, when u are taking a screenshot of a particular window, u can use alt+print screen, it will only capture the window that's active. save u time to cut and edit, and it will probably look better.

Ya know, I knew there was some way to do that, but I just couldnt remember how...

Thanks leishi!
    edited November 2003
    according to this thread it seems that the reason these scripts don't work stems from the switch to gromacs ...http://coolmon.arsware.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2017
  • t1rhinot1rhino Toronto
    edited November 2003
    There is always a way to make it work. ;)
  • EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
    edited November 2003
    The link for the script stats.vsb is not working for me. is there some chance that i can get the file some other way.
  • edited November 2003
    Yeah, something funky is going on with my serving computer. As son as I get home I'll fixor it.
  • edited November 2003
    Aww! Well I'm here now, and after rebooting the server, I still cannot get the software to work, perhaps I need to regester it..... crap.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited November 2003
    If its less than 500k attach it.
  • edited November 2003
    I would if I could attach more than one pic to a post.

Or can you...?

Anyways, I dunno.... damn Abyss web server.......
  • edited November 2003
    Fixed. It was totally my bad too. The local IP my comp uses on the LAN was changed, so the router had nowhere to forward the port to.

Anyways, all links/images work. :thumbsup:
    edited November 2003
    I didn't think that it would take this long to fix it hence while i posted in an existing tread but i'll make e new one then.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    nice guide....is coolmon sort of like style xp? what is it exactly?
    edited November 2003
    It's a program that displays stats of some sort. When i first installed it, it showed how many processes that was active, my cpu speed, amount of free ram and so on. Quite nice actually.
  • 289Mustang289Mustang Husker Nation
    edited December 2003
    How can I find my user ID for this? Is it in the FAH program when you first start it up? I use the console version and it is about a 15 alpha-numeric number, not a 4 digit number like your example.
  • edited December 2003
    It appears you dont actually need a user ID.

Anyways, until the ExtremeOC tracker is back up, the script will not work. It will run, it just wont update your info.
  • 289Mustang289Mustang Husker Nation
    edited December 2003
    Sounds good, I figured it was either user ID or the site being down that was causing the issue, thanks.
  • BudBud Chesterfield, Va
    edited December 2003
    how do i find my id, mine wont display and i think its cause of my id
  • edited December 2003
    Bud had this to say
    how do i find my id, mine wont display and i think its cause of my id

The stats are not displaying because the stats site is down right now. I'm not sure why, but you don't seem to need an ID.
  • BudBud Chesterfield, Va
    edited December 2003
    thanks ThesmJ how do i find out when its back up?
    edited December 2003
    it should have been back up by now ...probably won't be much longer.

is
    this the stats site you're referring to thesmj?
  • edited December 2003
    Thats right csimon. The site's still not working for me anyways.