Virgin SATA installer

PlecPlec UK
edited June 2003 in Hardware
Hopefully, in a couple of days, I will receive a Maxtor SATA 120 gig HDD. I would just like to know if there are any pitfalls to look out for when it comes to installing. I'll be using windows XP.

I’ve done a few searches & the main sticking point seems to be to make sure I have the drivers pulled off the mobo CD onto a floppy & have them ready for the F6 prompt.

Are there any other crucial procedures – will I need to do a low level format or are SATA drives pre-formatted like standard ATA drives?

If it doesn’t require a low level format will XP recognise it as the full 120gig? I read on one site that some Operating Systems will only read it as a 70-gig drive using Fdisk. Does XP have this problem or can I just go straight ahead & install XP, set up my partitions & XP will recognise & format the whole 120gig?

I'd appreciate any advice on any of the above or anything else i should be aware of that other users have come across.

Plec

Comments

• dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    As long as you have the drivers on FD as you said youll be fine.

My Seagate SATA disk didnt need a low level format, but I dunno about Maxtor..

mD
  • PlecPlec UK
    edited June 2003
    Cheers dydx, thnx for the reply.
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    No problem dude.

mD
  • PlecPlec UK
    edited June 2003
    dydx, did u literally just plug in ur drive straight from the box & install XP.

What i mean is, did u use any third party software to partition your drives prior to installing XP - or did u just let XP sort it out?

Plec
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    Worked fine straight out the box.

The xp installer sorted out partitioning and formatting just fine.

mD
  • PlecPlec UK
    edited June 2003
    Excellent, thanks agian dydx.

Just have to find the time to install the thing now...

Plec