So I'm Looking For A Sound Card...

SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
edited November 2003 in Hardware
For unknown reasons (I'm going to blame my god damned PSU again), my Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum decided to stop working out of the blue this evening on every PCI slot in my system. Every so-often, the BIOS would pick the card up on a PCI slot, and then crash the PC on Windows XP startup. Other times, the BIOS won't even pick up the "MultiMedia Controller" on Interupt 5.

Unfortunately for me, the Audigy 2 doesn't carry a warranty and this 6-channel RealTek AC-97 onboard sound is killing my performance (not just in gaming, but in folding as well). CPU utilization when playing MP3's spikes to nearly 10% versus the Audigy 2 Platinum's less than 1%. One good thing? The RealTek ALU650 AC-97 codec doesn't skip a beat of music, while that Audigy 2 popped, skipped and cracked worse than a bowl of Rice Krispies.

I'm a little bit out of the sound card loop, as I'm only aware of Creative's latest offerings (their 8 channel Audigy 2 ZS). If possible, I'd like to stay away from Creative and their "less than stellar drivers" which won't install on the IC7-MAX3.

Can anyone recommend a new sound card and why they would choose it? I'm sure others @ SM will find this thread beneficial if they are in the market for a new sound card as well. :)

Comments

• GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Maudio always has good quality sound Id stay as far away from creative as possible
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited November 2003
    You mean their M-Audio Revolution 7.1?
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    my friend has the hercules soundcard...PERFECT sound for 5 channel...i can definatly reccommend it..also there isnt much skipping
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    I'm going to throw out some names:

Terratec DMX 6Fire 24/96
    Terratec WMX
    M-Audio Revolution
    Hercules Digifire III 7.1
    TerraTec Aureon 7.1 Space SoundSystem
    Hercules GameTheater XP

They fill various pricepoints and various levels of performance/features. Rather than telling to get a certain one, read reviews on all of them (As they're all very good), and see which one is right for you. :)
    edited November 2003
    mmm... that Terratec DMX 6Fire is looking very promising. EAX HD support it lacking, but it more than makes up for that in improved THD, output noise, dB (A) ratings and true 24/96 compatability. They also include a nice breakout box that even beats what you get with the Audigy 2.

Impressive.

However, that price of $400.00 CDN is a little staggering. Nobody said quality was cheap though.... :(
    edited November 2003
    yea thats the one simdude!
    edited November 2003
    Looking at the M-Audio Revolution, it seems like it's a great buy on the surface. However, after delving into it's specs and performance a little more, the $99 offering leaves a little to be desired for gamers.

The M-Audio Revolution 7.1, powered by the VIA Envy24, does not have hardware support for 3D audio effects, meaning in order to process all that sound-directional information, the Revolution requires CPU cycles. Benchmarks show that frame-rate in DirectX 7.0 & 8.0 games drop between 10-15 FPS compared to the Audigy & Audigy 2 cards. That's... well... not very agreeable in my books. :(

For digital music recording, playback and mixing, the Revolution out-performs the Audigy 1 & 2 hands-down, especially in benchmark-proven THD & SNR ratings.

Looks like I'll have to rule the Revolution out, as that type of performance hit due to the enabling of EAX/EAX2/EAX HD/Sensura, etc.. 3D audio effects does take it's toll on the system during game-play and I can't live without 3D positional audio. :(
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited November 2003
    Reviewage on Revolution plus a whole bunch more information. Remember that EAX sound will only be degraged when run though a digital connection.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Turtle Beach Santa Cruz... I've never used it, but I'm told they are more robust than the Creative cards and can take a high FSB if you're overclocking. I'm sure there's probably something better, but if you're not willing to spend a bazillion dollars, it will probably be fine.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    The thing about the TBSC is that it's pretty dated. I bet even the NF2 integrated audio would be better.
    edited November 2003
    SoundStorm definately has 1 leg up on the TBSC.

Buddy Jesus, I've got locked PCI/AGP specs, so I don't have to worry about out-of-spec PCI frequencies affecting the card.

I've heard that the TBSC is quite dated and that support is lingering. Any truth to that?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Considerable. It is the truth. ;D
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited November 2003
    I am waiting for the AN7 which is supposed to have even better sound than the NF7. I purposely told my mom to wait to buy me a motherboard for Christmas because of this.

I heard around now it should come out hopefully with some reviews of the new sound. I got some speakers waiting for something better than my Live!
    edited November 2003
    It's alive!!! Linky

I found a driver hack where you can install the latest, most high-quality drivers ever released from Creative (yes, that good) for the Audigy 2 ZS on your Audigy 2/Audigy 1/Live 5.1 sound cards.

Installing these drivers with my old Audigy 2 Platinum (which mysteriously decided to work TONIGHT) increased sound quality and allows us users to finally experience Stereo x 2 upmixing and a fully-functional Audigy 2 equalizer instead of that bloody CMSS piece of sh!t.

Oh, and another thing: NO MORE SKIPPING.

The only down side: The driver CD download is over 400 MB's and the DVD-Audio application doesn't work correctly. :(

Even though the card works now, I'm still going to donate it to another computer here and grab the DMX 6Fire. It's quite an impressive card.
  • BDRBDR
    edited November 2003
    Can you please post where the hack can be found? I have an Audigy1 sitting here doing nothing and I'd like to use it in one of these machines. I might as well hack it.
    edited November 2003
    mmm... finally an Audigy 2 as detected by Windows...
    edited November 2003
    Linky (links @ the bottom of the page)

Be forwarned though... it's a 400 MB download from ass-slow servers.
  • BDRBDR
    edited November 2003
    Almost a 4 hr dl. :eek2: I'll just let it run.

Thanks Simguy.:)
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    I did a guide on this on my site, and I thought you already saw it when I posed it at BBT. Anyway, it's here...

http://atomnet.co.uk/?p=guides&id=1

NS
    edited November 2003
    Different one NightShade.... this is for the Audigy 2 ZS. :)
    edited November 2003
    OOOooooooh..... sorry, didn't notice that. May be worth looking into.

I take it it works the same as the old hack?

NS
    edited November 2003
    Yep. Identical, except for a different driver package. :D
    edited November 2003
    I can also recommend hercules sound cards I had one for 2 years the only reason i got rid of it was cause i like the soundstorm on my abit board and its one less card in my box
    edited November 2003
    Yeah, I would like the recommend the Hercules Fortissimo II I just got for my parents PC. Great sound, Optical Out AND in, joystick port, and loads of sockets extended through connection a DIN connector to the card which gives you more connections on the other end (comes with the card). Nice blue colour too. Unbelievely only £10.

NS
    edited November 2003
    yep thats the one i had the fortissmo III is nice too
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited November 2003
    SimGuy had this to say
    I found a driver hack where you can install the latest, most high-quality drivers ever released from Creative (yes, that good) for the Audigy 2 ZS on your Audigy 2/Audigy 1/Live 5.1 sound cards.
    Will this work with any Live 5.1 card?
    NightShade737 had this to say
    I take it it works the same as the old hack?

NS
    You're referring to the link you posted earlier - right?

I'm getting ready to give it a shot (about 50% d/l). Wish me luck!
    edited November 2003
    Prof, I would imagine so, although I haven't tested it yet (I don't own any Live 5.1's, only the original Live's & Live Platinum 4.1).

To install these drivers, here's what ya do:

Download those 4 large 100 MB files, unRAR them and you'll have the Audigy 2 ZS installation CD, with a couple of hacks to allow the install on non-Audigy 2 ZS cards.

Uninstall your current sound card drivers & applications.

Open up the \CTRUN directory in the newly created Audigy 2 ZS installation CD folder and run start.exe.

For Audigy 1/2: DO NOT INSTALL MEDIACENTRE. It is not included.
    For Live/Live 5.1: DO NOT INSTALL EAX Console. For some reason, it doesn't work (I was told this, I have not personally verified it yet).

Complete the install, restart, don't register and enjoy. :)
    edited November 2003
    I'm especially liking this THX calibration feature. It's a first for Creative cards and actually allows you to change between 48 & 96 KHz S/PDIF output on the card in Headphone/2.1/4.1/5.1/6.1 mode (other modes support with a real Audigy 2 ZS).
    edited November 2003
    With this THX configuration program, you can even specify how far your speakers are away from you physically and their angle of position to allow the software to properly perform playback on all speakers at the correct volume levels to maximize your experience. I noticed a slight increase in quality of audio after setting this up correctly (picture was before I played with the settings). :)
    edited November 2003
    Finally! The ability to change volume outputs on all channels of your speakers (I've only got Klipsch ProMedia 4.1's, hence only 4 channels to change volumes with).