So I'm Looking For A Sound Card...

2»

Comments

• SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited November 2003
    The new re-vamped EAX Console finally has support for Stereo x 2 & Stereo x 3 upmixing/channel duplexing/triplexing of music for playback of Stereo audio files on 4.1/5.1/6.1 & 7.1 speaker systems. :)
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited November 2003
    Unfortunately, the integrated graphic equalizer doesn't work with this "hacked" driver pack. Maybe another time. :(
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    You could change the output frequency on the Audigy 1 and 2 by changing the device settings in the Audigy Control Panel (in Control Panel).

NS
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited November 2003
    I tried SimGuy's instructions with the downloaded files. Wouldn't let me install (couldn't detect the hardware). I wasn't sure if the files were already patched (i.e. already hacked to work with Live 5.1), but couldn't find anything in the d/l to manually patch them. Then I tried the instructions from 'Shades site, applying the patch to the driver folder. This time the install went fine, except it still shows the card as a Live 5.1, however it is using the audigy drivers. Downside is that I have no Creative speaker controls. (F/R Fade is the only one I really miss, but since I'm using two sets of 2.1 speakers I can adjust that at each speaker's amp).

The sound is much better, and the minor crackling seems to have disappeared. The crackling was never too bad under XP; if I were more ambitious I would stick Win2K on one of my comps and try it there. (Win2K was where I had the horrible crackling problems).

All in all, it was worth the effort. The one thing I forgot was Creative's ugly penchant for turning your volume up to maximum. After I pried my dogs off of the ceiling (and cussed a little) everything else seemed fine. One other beef is Creative's fondness for sticking umpteen million things in your start up section. Unless they'd care to give me a free Nomad, I really don't want the quick access stuff for it loaded.

And to keep this from being a total threadjack :p it has reinforced my resolve to never purchase a Creative product again. Want a new soundcard?
    Buy ABC:

Anything But Creative! :vimp:
    edited November 2003
    Yeah, after buying my parents that Hercules card and seeing how easy it was to install drivers (download one 14MB pack and it installs the drivers, control panels, extra options, etc) there is no way in hell I am going to be buying another creative card. Especially when the only advantage to the Ausigy was that it had EAX3, EAX3 that causes crackling, dodgy volume levels, slowdowns and other stupid issues, which, you need to hack drivers from another creative card to fix.

No thanks.

Tempted to pick up another one of those cards, expecially as they are only 10 pounds.

NS
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited November 2003
    Prof: Is this the driver you downloaded?

Audigy 2 DriverPack 3 (WDM Drivers)
    Filename : AUD2DRVLB030425.exe

or this one?

Audigy 2 Driver Pack (English)
    Filename : AUD2DRVL11021217.exe

Cant get either right now cause server is being a lil bi0tch.
  • BudBud Chesterfield, Va
    edited November 2003
    do you know where to get that toslink connector for the sb live for cheap?
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited November 2003
    I *THOUGHT* I saw a sound card with the VIA envy24 (or whatever its, the chipset used in maudio rev.) AND hardware support for EAX and A3D. I think it was called the Prodigy? Don't really remember. I read a review on it and they rated it a 3/10 because of the driver package, otherwise it was basically identical to the maudio w/hardware EAX and A3D. That was months ago, maybe their driver package is better now?
    edited November 2003
    Bud had this to say
    do you know where to get that toslink connector for the sb live for cheap?

It would cost less to buy one of the Hercules cards with Tosink in AND out. Cheap as chips (now lets go bargain hunting :rolleyes2 )

NS
  • BudBud Chesterfield, Va
    edited November 2003
    k i found one on new egg the Hercules Fortissimo III $43 thanks i mighyt have to get that.
    edited November 2003
    Bud had this to say
    k i found one on new egg the Hercules Fortissimo III $43 thanks i mighyt have to get that.

Make sure it has the right connections before hand.

NS