Stuttering Problems

paroxymparoxym Toronto, Canada
edited July 2003 in Hardware
This is a strange problem that I haven't been able to pin down:
When I run 3dmark2k3 i get rythmic stuttering in every game test aside from the first one. (the plane one) The games will play and then pause and then continue going again. It does this at about 1 second intervals. Have any of you experienced this or have any idea as to why it may be occuring?

CPU: XP1700 @ 2.3ghz 11.5X203
RAM: OCZ PC2700 EL
Vidcard: Radeon 9700 Pro
Mobo: NF7-s rev 2.0

Thanks for your help guys

Comments

• dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    Is the card running hot?

Hows your case ventillation? Had similar issues with OCed boards running hot.

mD
  • paroxymparoxym Toronto, Canada
    edited June 2003
    I don't think I'm running hot.
    I underclocked the videocard just to be sure but I get the same results. My case ventilation is good to excessive. I have four 43 cfm sunons in a chenming clone operating at medium speed on my fanbus. I just reinstalled directx 9 as well but that didnt seem to make a difference.
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    What driver version are you running? Have you tried the latest ones?

mD
    edited June 2003
    Im using the latest catalyst drivers (3.4)
    The wierd thing about this is that games such as ut2k3 run with out any kind of hiccups whatsoever. It only seems to be 3dmark that does this, although I plan to load up another game or two to see if I get similar results.
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    Recent revalations about 3dmark put its validity as a benchmark in question.

If it plays games ok, thats all that matters innit :D

mD
  • karatekidkaratekid Ogdensburg, NY
    edited June 2003
    What resolution is your desktop set at? I've found 3Dmark can do some pretty wacky things when the desktop resolution is set below 1024x768.
    edited June 2003
    Well, I installed Tiger Woods 2003 and I am experiencing the same kinda of stuttering in that game as well. I'm at a total loss as to what is going on here. :confused:

My dektop resolution is at 1280X1024 so I dont believe that is the problem. *shrugs*
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    There should be an option for Pre-rendered frames or frame limit or something in Tweak3D or Rivatuner, try changing this from whatever it is (3 or so) to 0. Fixed a problem like this for me.

NS
  • citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    hey Paroxym!

i've had the exact same problem with my old gaming rig,

either decrease your FSB a bit, or relax the timings.

give it a shot, i know exactly what your going through , i hated it.

whats ur vmem?
    edited July 2003
    I just realized I left this thread dormant for a while without thanking people for their help and such. Well, thanks.:cool:

Turns out that the bandwidth monitoring program I was using, DuMeter, was jumping in and stealing CPU time from the games I was running. Upon disabling this DuMeter (as well as sorting through any other service that might have been the culprit) all stuttering stopped and things are hoppin' along. Score!;)