Crackling Sound Blaster

jdccbjdccb Mid-Atlantic USA
edited June 2003 in Hardware
My Dad recently got a new Hard Drive, so I installed XP, drivers etc, everything's going okey-dokey, except for the audio. My brother has just played MoH:AA for a few hours with no problems, but every time you play an song/CD/soundtrack, and when you log into windows, you get this massive crackling for short spurts.

It's a Sound Blaster Live 5.1 hooked up to a Cambridge Soundworks 4 speaker + sub setup. When we had the old hard drive in there, running Windows 98se, never had the problem, same sound card, speakers, everything. It's running the most recent Creative Drivers I can find on their website, with all speaker cables hooked in. Beyond that, I've got no ideas, any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited June 2003
    What MB? Its probably running acpi and now the sb is shareing one IRQ with a ton of other devices. SB's do not play well sharing IRQ's with other devices.

Tex
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited June 2003
    I'm betting it's a system with a VIA Chipset. I bought an audigy2, threw it in my KX7, had the same problem. I tried EVERYTHING to fix it, incl. disabling ACPI and installing XP using a non-acpi computer designation (forgot what) and that might have fixed it (forgot) but I wasn't going to turn the computer off manually, a la PC-AT every time I shut it off. I ended up just buying an A7N8X-Deluxe and it's worked fine in there, and in the other ASUS board I have- a A7M-266. If it's a via chipset board, I'd suggest that you either return the card or buy a new mb.
  • jdccbjdccb Mid-Atlantic USA
    edited June 2003
    Hmm, interesting thing, we had been using Real player and quicktime, and they had been going through loads of crackling. Tonight, we download WMP9, and it's cut down on the crackling a good bit, but according to my brother (I just relay his problem), it is still there, just less frequent :\

Tex, it's an ASUS A7M266, AMD 761 chipset. But I'll check the IRQ/ACPI stuff.

M33, the machine's audio volume is turned up about max, and the speakers volume isn't too high.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited June 2003
    And I have never ever seen a prob with that chipset. I also guessd it was VIA.

tex
    edited June 2003
    I agree that's strange, my A7M-266 is the ONLY board with a Via chipset (it's got a Via 686b southbridge) I have that will run my Audigy2 w/o coughing up hairballs. Sounds to me like it's time for a clean install of windows.
  • edited June 2003
    You can try setting latency to zero, but this is very strange. I only remember this from the 686b chipsets years ago so give it a bash

VIA 4-1's?

or

http://www.georgebreese.com/net/software/#PCI

But its late, I have not slept in years so I am probably wrong (I normaly am)
    edited June 2003
    they can use the Via 4in1s, but they don't take the AGP driver. Or you can d/l the latest driver from ASUS...
  • edited June 2003
    I would deff try the latency patch if it has the 686b, it had/has known problems

http://www.georgebreese.com/net/software/#PCI

Also remove one notch from your soundblaster hardware acceleration properties.

But no problems before...........weird.
  • jdccbjdccb Mid-Atlantic USA
    edited June 2003
    Thanks for the suggestions guys, trying some now. I know that Via chipsets had had problems before, but I had never had any problems with this one, nor had I heard of any. Ah well, I've tried a few and I'm letting my brother test it out, it's gotten better on the whole though, thanks a lot.