Weird EVGA 4200 Ti Card issue.

edited June 2003 in Hardware
Howdy, my brother is trying to beef up his old P3 800 system in order to squeeze some performance out of it for Star Wars Galaxies, and a friend of his said "Hey I have this EVGA Ti 4200 /w 128 megs of ram, i'll sell it to you for $100 bucks". We said alright, so we connected it to his system and seemingly everything went well until we ran 3d mark 2003 on it, on the battle of proxycon demo and on the first troll's lair demo the shadows all look like triangles and other polygons, and it just has a TON of weird polygons everywhere, so we figured ok, maybe this card cant do volumetric shadows or what not, so we fired up the SWG beta, and we noticed we'd be walking along and suddenly a gigantic triangle would appear infront of our face, then little green specs started filling in the display, i also noticed that when the 'Windows XP' screen is loading with the little animated 'rolling' green status bar that it flickers from green/blue..

This dude we got the card from is always trying to O/C stuff, and mess with his cards, and when he gave it to us he was like "just make sure it works in your computer before you give me the money" that should've tipped us off right there.

So I went into the O/C utility that is built into the Nvidia drivers, and it was running at 250/513 I thought the geforce 4 4200 /w supposed to be clocked at 250/444?

I put it down to 250/444 and it corrected some of the problems, is this card damaged? is there some way to overclock the board that the drivers cant control? I dont know much about this stuff at all.

We have the option of just giving the dude the card back, is the Geforce FX 5200 a better card? either way its $100 bucks.

Thanks,
-Drew

Comments

• EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    The little green specs filling up the screen are when the graphics memory starts too overheat and basically everything in the RAM on the board starts to desintergrate, or if its not that bad you may start to notice green splodges on textures in games, but anyway.

Clock the board down to something like 100/100 and see if it still does it, that way you can tell if you trashed the board or not.

NS
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    The GeForce FX series are trash.

Get a real (ATI) graphics card.

mD
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I dont think thats going to help his current issue.

Plus the GFFX5800 and higher arn't bad.

NS
  • edited June 2003
    Yes i have been an ATI fan but the 5900 looks mighty tasty :D
  • PyobliEPyobliE UK
    edited June 2003
    Id give him that card back, but wouldnt bother with the FX 5200, its just a GeForce MX, which isnt too great. Get your money back and hold out for a better card.