Modem do i need one?

edited June 2003 in Hardware
I am going to build my own computer and also get a cable modem will i need to buy a modem for my computer?

Comments

• EQuitoEQuito SoCal, USA
    edited June 2003
    Most cable companies give you the modem for free with 1 year contract and self-installation kit.
  • edited June 2003
    thanks for the help
  • EQuitoEQuito SoCal, USA
    edited June 2003
    You're welcome and one more thing: even if they charge you a small monthly rental fee, is probably worth it to pay it because if you go with your own modem, chances are it won't be "100% compatible" which means they don't give you technical support nor guarantee your connection speeds.
  • edited June 2003
    yeah, I agree with that but make sure the motherboard has onboard lan or buy a nic card
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    Lease the modem, the cable company are responsible for replacing it if it breaks if you lease, if you own it, and the warranty has passed youll have to pay for a new one.

Im on my second cable modem in 3 years. My 3com died on me last year. Got the TeraJet now. If I had brought the modem i would have had to pay for the replacement because the warranty was up.

mD
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited June 2003
    If you get one through Cox Cable, you have to pay $149 for their modem (if you buy it) or pay an extra $10 a month for the rental of it.