Who's got a modded xbox?

drowddrowd Texas
edited October 2004 in Gaming
I am interested in how many folks out there have their xbox's modified and what they got.

I will go ahead and kick it off. I have an xecutor lite and a WD 120 gig hard drive running EvoX.

This might be a little slow at first, but I would like to get some good conversations going in here about this . . .

Comments

• LadypcerLadypcer usa
    edited June 2003
    So how do you go about modding an Xbox?
    I have one that was used for one week and never touched after that.
  • drowddrowd Texas
    edited June 2003
    well, the first thing you need to do is get a mod chip. there are a number of places you can order mod chips. you should be able to find some at www.xbox-scene.com . as far as i know, the best mod chips are the xecutor pro and the xecutor lite, but i dont have any experience with anything else, so i cant say for sure. the only difference between the pro and the lite is that the pro has an external hookup that you can hook up to your computer and flash the bios from there with. in addition the pro is able to store 4 different bios's. you dont have to have either of those features (the xecutor lite) because you can either flash it with a cd or flash it through the ftp that the evox (the mod chip gui, sort of) sets up. i hope that makes sense, and if not i can try to help a little more. but xbox-scene.com is the best resource for information of this nature.

i guess the great thing about a modded xbox, is that it is so much more versatile after it has been modded. the biggest advantage is that you are able to make a back up copy of all of your games and keep it on the hard drive. you literally put the disc in, and it will copy the entire contents onto the hard drive where it can be accessed later. one of the great things about this, is xbox load time is reduced to almost nothing because its reading from the hard drive rather than from the dvd drive. in addition, it sets up and ftp that allows you to very easily communicate back and forth with the xbox from your computer. one of the applications of this is that you can store your divx or mpg movies on the xbox and watch it with a special version of media player called xbmp. this is great, because once the movie is there, it can be watched on the television screen. its really really great. anyway, i have gone on for long enough. if you have any more questions, just ask, i am sure either i or some other folks around here can answer them . . .
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    This looks pretty interesting.

You just swap out the drives, right? Is there any way to use 802.11b/g on the xbox by bridging the NIC to an AP or something, because my mum wont let me run CAT5 into the living room where the decent TV is so I can only have the xbox hooked up in my room with the smaller tv.

mD
  • edited June 2003
    You can use the wireless bridge from linksys its a little pricey though.

I have a 2.1 lite with stock HD. Its great playing MAME games with my XBOX. XBMP is great too so I don't have to mess with VCD's anymore.
  • drowddrowd Texas
    edited June 2003
    yeah you can go wireless using a bridge like skidrow said. yeah, not having to try to find movies in vcd format is so much better now, cuz the xbox seriously has almost every codec you could possible think of. when a movie wont werk cuz i dont have a codec installed on my computer, i just send it to my xbox. i havent had a movie NOT werk yet . . .
  • McBainMcBain San Clemente, CA New
    edited June 2003
    I have a matrix, 100 gig, and evox as well.
  • stoopidstoopid Albany, NY New
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by drowd
    yeah you can go wireless using a bridge like skidrow said. yeah, not having to try to find movies in vcd format is so much better now, cuz the xbox seriously has almost every codec you could possible think of. when a movie wont werk cuz i dont have a codec installed on my computer, i just send it to my xbox. i havent had a movie NOT werk yet . . .

Does it do Xvid ? I know that's a newer codec...

BTW, I haven't personally done this as I won't need an Xbox anytime soon, but a friend has hacked a few and it was a pleasure learning about the process by watching him do it. It's very cool stuff, and load times rock! :D
  • edited June 2003
    Yes the latest version of XBMP can handle xvid. I've only found one divx movie that doesn't play on newest version of XBMP. The xbox plays more of my movies than my pc and I don't have to go searching for codecs to put on the xbox. Even if you're not a console person, the modded xbox is worth it just for the dvd/divx playing capability. I've found that several of my divx files actually look sharper on my tv with xbox than on my pc. I have an x-ecuter 2 Pro and 120gb drive with the Samsung DVD drive, so that it can play cdr's.
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    Ok, ordered a D-Link 802.11b to ethernet bridge. Cost about £60, more than id rather pay, but it keeps my mum quiet.

Anyonw know a UK source for the XB mod chips?

mD
  • NaVeriOuSNaVeriOuS Bradford, Oh
    edited June 2003
    Instead of talking about them how about you guys post pics. All I have done to mine so far is the X is painted silver. I am getting a red led light put on the top where the xbox logo is. I will post my pic after I get the light in
  • drowddrowd Texas
    edited June 2003
    the actual modchip is the only mod i have. actually, there is a fan on the underside of my hard drive that my friend installed. the same guy put an LED on one of his controllers. he is a member here, sleepstalker, we might be able to get him to post some pics. i have another friend that added a separate button that restarts the xbox, but it seems a little pointless with IGR (in game reset (both triggers + start + select)). I will try to get a picture of the fan though . . .
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited June 2003
    I too have a matrix w/ 120 gig maxtor drive 8mb cache....

Its one of the kewlest things I have ever seen!!! Plays nearly ALL media formats including XVID. Great for downloading futurama/simpsons/family guy episodes off kazaa and watchin them on the ol xbox.

Ive got a ton of games on it, and they load extremely fast so there is basically NO load time.

If you live in a country that has no laws against hacking your xbox than I would HIGHLY recommend modding dat b*tch!!!!!

but if you live in the states, then it is illeagle and unethical to mod your xbox.

unethical?

WHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!
    WHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

funny stuff
  • T-BirDT-BirD Montgomery, AL
    edited June 2003
    I've looked adding a modchip to my box a couple of times, but every time I come to the conclusion that once it's done, I'd be fascinated by it for a few hours that first day, and then it would just sit there gathering dust.

Heck...why mess up a decent dvd player (unless I can get rid of those annoying 'regions' (can you?) - thank God for the Panasonic Q)....cuz it sure as heck hasn't played any games in many months.
  • McBainMcBain San Clemente, CA New
    edited June 2003
    Yup, you can play an region game and any region dvd with a modded xbox. I thought mine would sit there collecting dust too, but I revamped my enthusiaism when I tossed some old nes roms on there.
    edited June 2003
    On top of that, there is a progressive scan dvd player app for modded xboxes. The stock dvd app in the xbox does NOT play dvds in progressive scan, only games. A definate bonus for hdtv users :).

And ROMS rokck. I spent a couple hours playing Killer Instinct on the snes emu on xbox. Very cool just for nostalgia sawke.

That would rock if they would make a xbox version of killer instinct, because all other fighting games combo systems are week in comparison.
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by T-BirD
    I've looked adding a modchip to my box a couple of times, but every time I come to the conclusion that once it's done, I'd be fascinated by it for a few hours that first day, and then it would just sit there gathering dust.

Heck...why mess up a decent dvd player (unless I can get rid of those annoying 'regions' (can you?) - thank God for the Panasonic Q)....cuz it sure as heck hasn't played any games in many months.

Funny you mentioned that...because everyone was laughing at mine when I was modding it, because there was about an inch of dust on it before I modded it. I now like it a lot better, and use it a lot more. I even ordered one of those nifty skins off ebay for it. Pimp it up a little.
  • drowddrowd Texas
    edited June 2003
    yeah, i have a friend that is getting one to use solely as a media box. he doesnt even play the games. but being able to watch divx, xvid, etc on the tv this easily is great. hey formfactor, your xbox hd has 8 mb cache? i originally heard that some of the xbox's had problems with the 8 mb cache hd's. i had always heard that the 2 mb cache ones worked the best. did you have any problems?
    edited June 2003
    No none while playing games. I was unaware of such an issue.

However now that you mention it, I just noticed that if I am ftping lots of small files and lots of large files from it, the ftp session can hang after transferring a large file. I have to disconnect and reconnect and continue transferring the queue.

I have know idea if this is related to the 8mb cache, in fact I kind of doubt it. Sounds like more of an issue with either the version of evoX i run, or maybe even my ftp client (leapftp). I have been very happy with its performance. I have a friend that uses a Western Digital in his with 8mb cache, and he never has problems either. I would say its prolly pretty safe. Only issue Might be heat, but I have yet to experience a heat related issue either.
  • drowddrowd Texas
    edited June 2003
    huh. well thats cool, i wonder if there is any performance increase? and about the ftp hangs, i used to use cuteftp for my xbox, and it would hang sometimes for me too. a friend recommended that i use flashfxp, and so far i have had no problems, so you might want to give it a shot and see if you still have problems . . .
    edited June 2003
    I will have tyo give that a try. I like flashfxp and have used it in the past. this only happens on the laptop, and not on any of my other pcs. very strange.
  • PyobliEPyobliE UK
    edited July 2003
    Id still love to have a modded Xbox, but dont have the guts to pull it apart to install a mod chip. I dont even want it to play copied games, I would love to play Divx and VCD's on it. Also, where can I buy modchips in the UK, and which one do I get from where.

Also, once modded, can they take any HD at all?
  • drowddrowd Texas
    edited July 2003
    i have never been to the uk, but i dont imagine there are stores selling them. you pretty much have to order them online. www.xbox-scene.com should have some links. www.system-mods.com actually sells the mod chips. as for your question about the HD's, pyoblie, the only thing i had heard was that some of the 8 mb cache hd's had issues, but FormFactor has said it doesnt affect his. I had heard of some people having problems and some people not though. so i would suggest to still go with the biggest 2 mb cache HD you can find . . .
  • PyobliEPyobliE UK
    edited July 2003
    I did a quick search on google for UK pages relating to Modchips. the following link gives a list of a number of modchips, but as I know nothing about modchips, I dunno which is the best one to get.

Also, many sites mention 'home brew software' or similar phrases, are these proggies such as Xbox Media Player and such? cos they are what im really interested in as i understand they allow the playing of Divx's and VCD's.

Cheers guys.
  • PyobliEPyobliE UK
    edited July 2003
    Doh, forgot the link, sorry!

Mod Chips
  • drowddrowd Texas
    edited July 2003
    well, typically when folks refer to homebrew, its a reference to non xbox games that are playable on the xbox. for instance, some people rewrite older games to make them playable on the xbox like rise of the triad and doom. then you have your emulators that will play any rom that would normally play. i have a snes emulator and a regular assortment of games for it. then you have some folks that will just change certain files, but the rest you have to actually pull off of the cd. there arent too many of these, but someone did a really good job of getting quake 2 to werk on the xbox. there were a few small files you had to download, and you had to pull a few really large files off the quake 2 cd (lucky i had it still) and it runs absolutely flawlessly on the xbox. i enjoy it more on it than i ever did on my pc. anyway, that is typically what is refered to as homebrew. dvd players (without the xbox attachment i might add) and divx media players are typically just referred to as apps. a good place for software (no illegal games or anything) is #xbins on EFnet. go there and they will give you some info for their ftp. it has all the software you could possibley want. it has xbox pc tools, it has the latest builds of xbmp and dvdx, and it has the majority of homebrew games and emulators out there. good luck . . .
    edited July 2003
    hmm...quake 2 on xbox. I had seen it for download but noticed it was only a few megs and didnt think it could be true at only a few megs so i never grabbed it. I was unaware you could rip the rest from the CD. does the music work too? Loved the q2 music. that rocked. Im pretty stoked. Im gonna have to go get that tonight!!!
  • drowddrowd Texas
    edited July 2003
    yeah, the music does indeed work. there are a few extra steps you have to take in order for the xbox to play it, but it isnt really hard. like, i think you have to rip the wav's from the q2 cd and dump it somewhere in the q2 folder. i dont remember exactly, but there is a text file explaining how with the download. i do remember that it did not take me very long . . .
  • PyobliEPyobliE UK
    edited July 2003
    Right I realy wanna do this Modchip stuff, Which of you have actually installed a modchip yourself? Cos I will prolly wanna pick your brians about it via Email of IM / IRC.

Im scared! :(
  • edited July 2003
    Well, we shall do it together Pyoblie :D

I want a mod chip as well, the USB one looks good because it cant be messed up :D
    edited July 2003
    Originally posted by Coaster
    Well, we shall do it together Pyoblie :D

I want a mod chip as well, the USB one looks good because it cant be messed up :D

I am unaware of a USB chip that actually works. I could be wrong but it sounds a little too easy.

I used the Matrix, but thats only because thats what everyone I know used. The most popular seems to be the Executer Lite chip. Thatun might be easiest because it comes bios flashed. You actually have to flash the Matrix and Executer pro.