AMD! no.. I mean P4! no.. erh!!!

R4CK3RR4CK3R Oklahoma
edited June 2003 in Hardware
OK I was gona build an AMD system for a friend which would go a little somthing like this:
Abit NF7-S
AMD 3000+
2/Corsair XMS 512 PC3200
Radeon 9800pro 256mb
SATA HDD (havn't decided which one yet)

Now I have another friend that is a little of a intel fan telling me that the new pentuims are the way to go. This is the system specs he have me:
Albatron 865PE/PE Pro
Pentuim 2.8C
2/Corsair XMS 512 PC3200
Radeon 9800pro 256mb

The price differance of these to setups is $4 (not much). That friend told me that if U where to OC the 3000+ to it's max, and the 2.8C to it's max, the 2.8C would be alot faster. Is this true?

I wanted to ask U guys first because I know I will get stirred in the right direction on somthing like this.

Thx in advance...

Comments

• Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited June 2003
    You won't be OCing the P4 with DDR400... at least not without killing your performance. The P4's architechture (sp? it's late... gimme a break...) is godawful and is entirely dependent on it's memory bandwidth for it's performance. 2x DDR400 = 800MHz effective speed. If you get the P4 to say, 250MHz FSB (1GHz in Marketing-ese) and the RAM is still running @ 800, you're performance gain is going to be negligible. I THINK the new P4s are faster than the Athlons, but I can't remember because I haven't kept up with it because I don't really like the P4 anyhow... but the bottom line is that to get decent performance out of that P4 if you OC it, you're gonna need faster memory.
  • CCWCCW Suffolk, UK
    edited June 2003
    the 800fsb P4s seem to be killing the AMDs for performance, the AMDs cant match it. If I had money to throw away thats the route Id go, if money is tight the AMD is a good option until A64. It will leave you more money for A64 anyway.

Craig
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by Geeky1
    You won't be OCing the P4 with DDR400... at least not without killing your performance. The P4's architechture (sp? it's late... gimme a break...) is godawful and is entirely dependent on it's memory bandwidth for it's performance. 2x DDR400 = 800MHz effective speed. If you get the P4 to say, 250MHz FSB (1GHz in Marketing-ese) and the RAM is still running @ 800, you're performance gain is going to be negligible. I THINK the new P4s are faster than the Athlons, but I can't remember because I haven't kept up with it because I don't really like the P4 anyhow... but the bottom line is that to get decent performance out of that P4 if you OC it, you're gonna need faster memory.

Not True Geeky1.

The P4 "C" gets it's best performance from a 3:2 FSB:Mem ratio.

Read This

That'll give it a range up to 4300mhz.

In any event the Athlon 3000+ (2.17ghz) OC'd to 2.3-2.4ghz (effective P4 3200+ speed) will be faster than the P4 in Office type apps even when the P4 is OC'd to the max. The P4 still trails the Athlons when you benchmark using the Sysmark 2001 and 2002 versions. The 2003 version uses SSE2 enabled multimedia apps to boost the P4's score.

The P4 however will be faster in Games and AV type apps
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited June 2003
    Hmm... well, it USED to be true :D
  • hprhpr :o hi o:
    edited June 2003
    lol, oh, and Albatron boards are weird and not excellent overclockers. I am using a KX400+ Pro and a AXP 1700+ (it was at 1913mhz in my Abit KX7) and it cant OC it much past ~1750mhz without it crashing randomly :/
  • R4CK3RR4CK3R Oklahoma
    edited June 2003
    My friend has the cash to go with any system out there, even an Opteron system. All he wants is "a sweet ass gamming machine that will handle Doom3 superbly."

Anyone know what the best cooling would be for the P4?
    He's talked about watercool, but that's just if he has enuff money left over after the main portion of the system. I only know this stuff for the AMD chips. What's the best aircooler and watercooling system for the P4?
  • hprhpr :o hi o:
    edited June 2003
    I dont know about the cooling for a P4 but even buying top of the line hardware now cant even gauruntee that he will be able to run Doom3 "superbly" That game is soooo beyond its time right now that all the hardware we have is gonna be stressed when that game comes out. Might as well save some cash to buy THE fastest video card upon Doom3 release. Well, thats just my 2cents.

Oh and for H2O cooling consider a TC-4 or Cathers Whitewater when its available :)