Nightmare

ktulu_tcoktulu_tco Akita, Japan
edited July 2003 in Hardware
So, I got my computer back (I shipped it via UPS from Portland). And I set it all up, turn it out, check out BIOS for about 10-15 seconds, staying around low-mid 30s. I boot into Windows, load up Windows and start Winamp, and walk upstairs. About 3 minutes into the song, the song stops and there is loud beeping. I run out to see what is the deal, and it is BSOD, and it reboots before I can read. So, I go to BIOS and check temps. CPU: 70C!! I shut it off immediatly. I take the side off the case and try turning it on again, but the fan doesn't turn. I turn it off again, and realize that the fan had shifted slightly and was caught on the heatsink. I reset it and everything works fine. Needless to say I almost sweat a bucket. Which is kinda interesting, because, that means, I can boot to Windows and play 3 minutes of an mp3 on passive CPU cooling :-D

Comments

• drowddrowd Texas
    edited June 2003
    it sure is a good thing you had that mp3 playing :D
  • NebulousNebulous New York, The Empire State
    edited June 2003
    WoW ! Very lucky indeed! I figured you checked evrything throughly before hitting that power button. Being shipped that distance, or any distance, usually shifts something.

Better check again just to be sure ;)
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited June 2003
    You did get lucky m8. The bad thing about moving a computer to anywhere really, is that the little bumps can move something a little to far to where it won't work correctly, like a fan or h/s. Guess you learned a good lesson though, besides the passive cooling, hehe
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    Ive shiped computers with parcel force and they showed up fine. Parcel force are renound for being very rough with packages.

Your lucky nothing is screwed.

mD
  • CCWCCW Suffolk, UK
    edited July 2003
    Hehe, your lucky, those Thunderbird chips push out a lot of heat.

Craig
  • ktulu_tcoktulu_tco Akita, Japan
    edited July 2003
    Originally posted by drowd
    it sure is a good thing you had that mp3 playing :D

Hehe, yup, otherwise, I might not have noticed it rebooting. And it would have kept rebooting, seeing that I had actually forgotten to set the shutdown temperature.