Mod Idea. USB ports on two slot NV35 (5900 Ultra)

edited July 2003 in Hardware
I was reading a review over at Hexus.net and got to thinking if there might be a way to put a couple USB slots on the beast-like 5900 Ultra. If you don't know about it (and shame if you don't :D ) it takes up two slots, one for AGP and one for PCI, for the cooling system. http://www.hexus.net/review.php?review=554&page=1 for the info.

Feasible?

Comments

• Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited June 2003
    or u could just get a single-slot 5900 ultra and put a usb bracket below it... :D
  • drowddrowd Texas
    edited June 2003
    heh, well put, i try to give my gfx card as much room as possible . . .
    edited June 2003
    M33... I agree with you. However, there's one little problem with that... 760MPX motherboards usually have 2 64 bit/66MHz PCI slots, and they're usually the first 2 slots directly under the AGP card. Thankfully this isn't a problem for me since I only have 1 66MHz card, but if I had 2, it would be a problem...
  • EQuitoEQuito SoCal, USA
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by Geeky1
    However, there's one little problem with that... 760MPX motherboards usually have 2 64 bit/66MHz PCI slots, and they're usually the first 2 slots directly under the AGP card.
    Why do they do that? or the AGP/PCI1 'sharing rule' doesn't apply to those boards?
    Looks like they are to blame not NVidia...
    edited June 2003
    dunno why they do it... I've always assumed that it was simply because it was somehow more convenient. Personally, I find it irritating as hell... I'd rather have them at the bottom, and have them as 32 bit/33mhz backwards compatible slots, but then that would make too much sense...
  • EQuitoEQuito SoCal, USA
    edited June 2003
    Let me see if I get this right...

NVidia or not, you still cannot use PCI1 if an AGP card is present right?

So, what's the point of having two 64bit PCI slots then? :confused:
    edited June 2003
    dunno. Never tried it... all of my cards take up 2 slots anyhow (this is the price to be paid for Honking Big Cooling Solutions, A.K.A. HBCSs) so I can't try it now, otherwise I would because now I'm curious.
  • CCWCCW Suffolk, UK
    edited July 2003
    Originally posted by Geeky1
    or u could just get a single-slot 5900 ultra and put a usb bracket below it... :D

this is the best solution ;)
  • edited July 2003
    Originally posted by CCW

this is the best solution ;)

That wasn't the point of the post though :o