Emergency boot CD

MERRICKMERRICK In the studio or on a stage
edited July 2003 in Science & Tech

Comments

• TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited July 2003
    The best one is the Super Utils CD that has Wininternal, PM8, ERD commander and Nortons 2003 system works and NTFS for Dos on it actually.

Tex
  • karatekidkaratekid Ogdensburg, NY
    edited July 2003
    Hey Tex, where can one find this Super Utils CD? Sounds super nifty. Is it free like the ebcd one?
  • edited July 2003
    The Super Utils CD is usually a roll-your-own project these days. I just use it in its 4 or more CDs in CD wallet form:

1. ebcdpro cd.
    2. latest Norton Systemworks CD (older versions optional)
    3. Partition Magic 8.0 CD
    4. Windows 2000 Resource Kit

Optional:
    5. latest Knoppix CD (comes in handy now and then).
    6. Windows 98 Resource Kit (depwalkr.exe, especially)-- mostly for recovery of consumer computers.
    7. Ghost, if the Systemworks CD is not an Enterprise or Pro version.
    8. Drive Image if Ghost not handy.

PM on floppy, DI on floppy, Rescue Floppy set from SystemWorks are also handy tools if used VERY CAREFULLY (especially the systemworks rescue set).

John Danielson.
  • Ed-ChigliakEd-Chigliak West Yorks (UK)
    edited July 2003
    EBCD 0.5 Lite = broken link

EBCD 0.5 Pro = no problem downloading zip

EBCD 0.5 Pro Patch 3 = no problem downloading zip

Do not drag and drop files out of the zip you must extract the directory structure contained in zip. Same for patch then copy and overwrite to patch the original folders/files.

Now to build the image you need to run the Make-ebdc-pro.bat and for me this failed with some cr4p about long file names not supported.

So I added in some double colons :: in the bat file to skip past the long file name check as below and that seemed to do the trick

::echo. >> %TEMP%\$ebcd$long$name$check$.tmp
    ::for %%i in (%TEMP%\$ebcd$long$name$check$.tmp) do if not exist ::%TEMP%\$ebcd$long$name$check$.tmp goto _no_lfn
    ::del %TEMP%\$ebcd$long$name$check$.tmp

Bat file has now built EBCD-PRO-v05.iso file which I shall burn to CD next.

Lets hope the end result is worth all the trouble.

Ed^
  • Ed-ChigliakEd-Chigliak West Yorks (UK)
    edited July 2003
    :D:D:D:D Boot CD rocks... was worth the effort.

Ed^
  • edited July 2003
    That works for Windows, very well. Thanks. Windows 98 should not give the LFN error if you extract to the directory that is specified as TEMP, NTFS based Windows systems will give this error.

For Linux, GnomeZIP (gzip) can uncompress(the command you use can be unzip or gzip with a flag, gzip is what is actually running usually). Then gCombust can be told to build an ISO and burn, from the directory tree. Nero will also burn a tree, and in ISO9660 format it can be bootable (Rockridge with Joliet extension will boot on most boxes, Nero does Joliet ISOs usually).

John Danielson