RPG wishlist

Ed-ChigliakEd-Chigliak West Yorks (UK)
edited July 2003 in Gaming
What would you like to see in the next generation of RPG titles

Heres a few of my ideas:-

* A return to party based adventuring based on latest or some next generation 3D engine

* Hit/health points suplemented (possibly replaced) by realistic damage modeling ie tears in armour - visible wounds & disease etc

* Likewise visible healing & repairs

* Full contact beat-em-up style combat complete with throws & special moves. A giant could pick your characters up one by one and throw them down the corridor... lol

* Massive continous gameworld with no load screens & a wider range of transportation ie horses - wagons etc

* A party that can move together as a group in a realistic and convincing manner with 'dynamic set plays' instead of the usual 'fixed formations'

* Sneak-em-up thief skills climbing through windows on rooftops possibly with first person mode

* Crouched and prone ability for all characters to hide behind rocks or fallen trees so you can set up ambush situations

* Reduced inventory micro management. The characters could have better personalities and maybe argue/discuss amongst themselves to resolve the distribution of items

Ed^

Comments

• EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Its strange, in Baldurs Gate II, theives actually had the abilities "Climb Walls" and "Read Languages" but they were hidden as if they were planning something with them........

What I liked about games like Baldurs Gate were the quality of the landscape, i.e. you can play it now and it looks good, where as NWN never looked good, the textures are too low res and it doesnt seem to have the atmosphere BG had either.

But biggest peve, I want my god damn team back, not just a single retarded suiside AI :(

NS
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    real time combat would be my number one thing i want. turn based always seems unfair. it's like you'd be level 25 with 2 hit points left, get caught by a level 1 bug, and the bug would kill you because it got the first hit in.
  • stoopidstoopid Albany, NY New
    edited July 2003
    * A return to party based adventuring based on latest or some next generation 3D engine

Yes, graphics in most RPG stink (to say it mildly). I know this aids in the networking of the game, and reduces the technical requirements for the PC... but they should be 3d games dumb-down to play on slower machines, not animated 2d cheesed up with a few 3d effects.

* Hit/health points suplemented (possibly replaced) by realistic damage modeling ie tears in armour - visible wounds & disease etc

Another good idea, having a gore option would eliminate any rating issues that this would incur.

* Likewise visible healing & repairs

Yes

* Full contact beat-em-up style combat complete with throws & special moves. A giant could pick your characters up one by one and throw them down the corridor... lol

That would be fun, but because of the 3d requirements, these scenes played on slower PCs would look like junk in lower res/texture detail.

* Massive continous gameworld with no load screens & a wider range of transportation ie horses - wagons etc

EQ has horses and such, they're much slower than druids though :p

* A party that can move together as a group in a realistic and convincing manner with 'dynamic set plays' instead of the usual 'fixed formations'

k

* Sneak-em-up thief skills climbing through windows on rooftops possibly with first person mode

k, maybe an assassin class? lol

* Crouched and prone ability for all characters to hide behind rocks or fallen trees so you can set up ambush situations

k, maybe an ambush class? :D

* Reduced inventory micro management. The characters could have better personalities and maybe argue/discuss amongst themselves to resolve the distribution of items

Yeah, it stunk sometimes being in a group enviro and not being the one doing the looting, always got the 'short-end'.
  • Ed-ChigliakEd-Chigliak West Yorks (UK)
    edited July 2003
    Spelling... not tears (boo hoo) in armour but tares (rips) in armour

Kanezfan I think your real time combat is the same as my beat-em-up style combat. There would be some physics model with strength, speed and weight of weapon resulting in force and damage on impact with adjustments for magic etc but essentially real time blows landing and doing real time damage to specific body areas - head arms legs torso and so on.

You could have archers aim for legs and slow the enemy down or prevent them from fleeing without killing them.

I don't think turn based rules like D&D are the way forward for RPG's on the computer.

Ed^
  • edited July 2003
    i think d & d rules also would never work because they ar far too complex for your normal pc rpg. There are so many options that can't be implemented right now because of limitations of computer systems as opposed to ones imagination. The d & d rules are really only guidelines for play not strict rules so they can't really work in a pc enviroment.
  • edited July 2003
    I want an MMO where you make a character and that character is as powerful as you can get, stat wise. Set HP per species base (Just because I'm a wizard doesn't mean I have lung conditions or I'm lacking a few layers of skin and bone). A pure social game like many MUDs, where strategy would be the name of the fight.