Anti-Virus Proggie Ratings

ml_manml_man The Asylum... Seeking Refuge
edited July 2003 in Science & Tech

Comments

• Ed-ChigliakEd-Chigliak West Yorks (UK)
    edited July 2003
    Interesting

Have been using AVG - free for personal use and suprised to see it ranking quite low 68%

Just been working my way down that listing and found two higher ranking products that are also free for personal use Avast & AntiVir.

I have just installed Avast and found 1 virus not picked up by AVG residing in an uninstalled CuteFTP executable I had kicking around. Registration was painless and requires a valid email address for key/codes sent only 2 minutes later - expires never.

AntiVir - nearly gave in with the download it was so slow and havn't installed it yet. I'll see how it goes with Avast.

Out of the top ranking products RAV was the cheapest at $29 with each subsequent yearly subsription costing 20% of the products value. I like the website if only because I found the purchase price and updates pricing quickly and it was a simple policy. IMO demo is worth a try if you are looking for business/commercial use.

I would be intersted to here what others have to say on the subject of anti-virus products.
  • edited July 2003
    ATM (at the moment) I would not buy RAV-- It will become Microsoft Antivirus(possibly only for servers) adn might not show up for 8-18 months depending on how hard Microsoft is pushing its own AV program production. So, would wait as I do not yet know if the defs will continue for the current RAV beyond 10-11 months from now(RAV told me in a customer mailing that the RAV algortithms were going to Microsoft, that the virus defs would be available for a year from then, and that was a month or so ago). I also do not know if the desktop version will continue-- so far only have heard plans for an server\email virus scan app using the RAV algorithms purchased by Microsoft and those app plan leakss are not solid enough yet to publish details on beyond what I am sharing here.

I use and recommend Norton AV for Windows, and RAV Desktop in Linux-- not saying others are bad, just that lots of AV killing has proven those to be the best. Exception: some Gateway and older Compaq computers, for those I would stick with McAfee.
  • edited July 2003
    One of the reasons AVG was down-rated was that it had a larger false-hit percentage than some others.
    edited July 2003
    The Norton website is a nightmare I wouldn't wish upon anyone. They have no concept of customer service and force everyone through the most insane and useless automated support system before they can get any real support. They clearly have little regard for their customers who they regard as idiots. There are too many conflicting confusing products and there is no clear pricing policy with regard to updates. Not even for the love of big yellow boxes am I going back to norton products.

Ed^
    edited July 2003
    Thanks for the low down on RAV and sorry about the rant.

Ed^
  • edited July 2003
    Norton AV subscriptions for definitions are sold by phone, not on the website(the customer service phone number in manual). However, if you can get a rebated NAV that is newer, after rebate the new program is cheaper. This is deliberate, as the the program itself is what detects viruses with no known definition yet. and online upgrading that gets iffy after a year or so.

Probably the best deal of the Symantec\Norton products is SystemWorks, which includes NAV, the Utiliites, and if it is Pro or Enterprise also Ghost and a Lite version of WinFax (not full WinFax Pro).

No problem(as far as rant goes), but to be honest I know 25 people with Norton close by to me who have had no tech support needs in the past 12 months. I have not needed tech support for Norton in 2+ years. Product is decent enough that tech support is rarely needed, and customer service can get you to techs on phone if needed also.

Unless you have a Compaq-- they had an agreement with McAfee that resulted in McAfee being basicly unremovable from those affected machines. And the product used did not work together with NAV. Some Gateways, ditto. Most HPs can be upgraded to NAV quite easily. Ditto lots of Dells, and most clones.

John Danielson.