Gonna try an Intel system again.

BobyJoBobyJo N C Texas
edited August 2003 in Hardware
A few years ago, I became very upset with Intel over the prices of thier components etc. and the performance of these components.
I switched to AMD and have not been unhappy at all.
I just read a review of the new 875P mobo's, and have decided on the MSI/875P Neo-FIS2R-RT mobo and an Intel 3.0ghz 800fsb cpu.
I just want to see if this mobo is better than the ASUS I had picked out originally.
A customer that I am working with on an Intel system persuaded me to go this route.
Hope the MSI mobo is as good as my customer says.
I have never built a system with a MSI system board.

Comments

• edited August 2003
    Granted they're all AMD systems, but the past 7 systems have been MSI systems and every one has been rock steady and complaint free. Tweakable enough to be fun and also stable enough for a woman who knows absolutely nothing more than how to do the old "What happens when I do this" crap. She hasn't called me once to fix anything and the machine just runs. They've got my vote!

S!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    No. 1 below is my first Intel build. I couldn't be happier. The 875 Canterwood in combination with the P4 HT/800MHZ FSB is just magic.

Although I have not used MSI, I would strongly suggest the Abit IC7 or IC7G. Silky, fast, compliant, and very forgiving.
  • BobyJoBobyJo N C Texas
    edited August 2003
    This customer pointed me to a review of all 875P mobo's, by none other than Tom's Hardware.
    In his review he placed this mobo above all others.
    I was more interested in the ASUS latest PAT version, but he did not review that board.
    Since the MSI was considerbly less than the ASUS I ordered it.
    I did look at the Abit boards but since he was bent on the MSI I took that one.
    edited August 2003
    Abit and MSI Are Best Choices: Our favorites today are the Abit IC7-G and MSI 875P Neo-FIS2R, and both received our coveted ExtremeTech Approved award. You won't go wrong with either of these boards. The IC7-G is just solid, never hiccupping, and offers a clean, competent layout and I/O cluster. The MSI Neo-FIS2R is relatively speedy, and offers excellent stability as well, but the ATX I/O cluster seems a bit antiquated.

ExtremeTech seems to side with both of us here, BobyJo.
  • BobyJoBobyJo N C Texas
    edited August 2003
    The MSI mobo # you have is the one I ordered.
    Also ordered a
    P4 3.0ghz 800 cpu to go with it.
    Hopefully this order will be here by weekend or early next week.
    I will use the memory, video card, hard drive and all other components I have already.
    So this way I am not breaking the bank to go with a top end P4.

My original choice was the ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe mobo.
    From what I read that mobo is king of performance and stability. Just the oposite of what I had been told.
    The MSI board, is not apples to apples unless you compare the P4C800-E Deluxe against it. IMO::
    The latter ASUS does utilize the ICH5R and SATA raid.
    I am not sure the difference in price will be worth the difference in performance.
    They do not show the performance of the P4C800-E Deluxe.
    The review only uses the P4C800 Deluxe mobo.

Maybe the difference in performance will not be so pronounced as to be noticable.
  • BobyJoBobyJo N C Texas
    edited August 2003
    Over the past couple of days, I have read lots of reviews of the 875P mobo's.
    Seems as though the MSI NEO-FIS2R is in the top of the bunch in everything, including price.
    Seems as though all of these chipset mobo's perform about the same.
    This MSI mobo in some reviews OC's to 274fsb and some to only 240fsb. Quite a difference, the general idea is the bios has some differences that would cause this.
    The components came just a few minutes ago and the bright red mobo is cool looking.
    I like the lighted fan on the south bridge cooler.
    There is no cooling on the northbridge chip at all.
    I wonder if there should be a heatsink on there too.
    I am not gonna set up the system today.
    We are leaving this afternoon and won't be back until Monday evening.
    I will just wait till then and setup the system.
    If this thing bombs out, I will let ya know.
    edited August 2003
    Great. Please keep us posted on your build and overclocking events!

Leo
  • BobyJoBobyJo N C Texas
    edited August 2003
    This is day two for this 875P system being up and running.
    I have not found any faults in the system of any kind.
    Have not been able to OC this system much at all.
    I know the Intel system is totally different from the AMD systems that I have been building.
    I have ran up the fsb to 230 and the system will not post at all.
    I have attempted to set the memory timming at the settings I use in an AMD system and do not get the same results as with the AMD system.
    The memory I have is rated at CL2, 5,2,2,2 settings, but the best I can get with totally stable results are 6,3,3,2.
    I am attempting to use the OC'ing utility that comes with the mobo.
    With that utulity I can up the fsb and this utility raises the memory timming, as well as some voltgages automatically.
    I can OC to a degree with this utility, just have not worked with this as much as I need to.
    edited August 2003
    Good - up and running. You should be able to get a better OC than that, though. Later this evening when I have time I'll offer some suggestions.

Leo