Athlon XP 2000+ overclock?

Nive11enNive11en Europe
edited September 2005 in Hardware
I'm interested in overclocking my AMD Athlon XP 2000+ (1.67 Ghz). How should I start about it? Increasing it's value by a few mhz every boot and see how it works? If I could squeeze it up to 2Ghz that would be great, even better with my current fan that came with the processor.
Will it be worth it? Will I see a decent improvement, should I try overclocking my graphics card maybe too? (Or should I first buy a 512 ddram chip because currently I have 256 dd and it sucks..)
Give me some suggestions guys.

Comments

• citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    hey Nive11en! welcome to icrontic

first off, we need a list of your hardware

cpu model, motherboard, ram, video etc..
  • stoopidstoopid Albany, NY New
    edited January 2004
    Karatekid wrote a tutorial that would be helpful... and there's more information in the FAQ I had written...
  • Nive11enNive11en Europe
    edited January 2004
    Here I go:
    AMD Athlon XP 2000+ (1.67ghz)
    GeForce 4 TI4200 (ABIT)
    256 DDRAM (333mhz)
    mobo: MSI KT3 Ultra 2 Series (VIA KT333 Chipset Based) MS-6380E v1.X
    Using 2 HD's, 20gig and 40gig (both 7200 rpm)
    Chieftec Dragon Medium case (my preciousss..)
    I built this computer myself, or rather rebuilt, before it was a different motherboard with a slower processor and ram. I'm a newb when it comes to overclocking.

And.. just read the article by Karatekid, great one. Now I'm all worried about buying new *good* ram. Since my current is a noname one. Maybe a new heatsink also LOL.
    Ya think a good brand ddram of 512mb will work out with a noname 256 to do 768 without much performance decrease?
  • NebulousNebulous New York, The Empire State
    edited January 2004
    Hi Nive11en, welcome to Icronic Forums :D

The XP2000 isn't an overclocking chip ( well compared to the 2100 and the 1600) I'm assuming it's a Tbred B and not an A will make it a more stubborn chip to oc. Also in order to have a successful oc you'll need the following:

1) Good cooling
    2) A mobo with oc features in bios
    3) A good power source(Psu)
    4) Quality ram ( suggested 2x256mb sticks)
    5) Plenty of patience

With the xp2000 you'll need to unlock it ( close the bridges) in order to have access to the lower multiplyers therefore being able to get a higher FSB which is the key to overclocking.

The FAQ stoopid put together has a wealth of great info, but be advised not all machines can overclock and when you do overclock you can and will fry something. I can attest to that and stoopid can vouch for it too, lol .

Good luck and keep us posted!
    edited January 2004
    Originally posted by Nebulous
    1) Good cooling
    2) A mobo with oc features in bios
    3) A good power source(Psu)
    4) Quality ram ( suggested 2x256mb sticks)
    5) Plenty of patience
    Good cooling.., ok I'm starting to worry about that copper plated heatsink and very big fan on it.
    Mobo has the right oc features.
    My psu is a 350W Chieftec, and chieftec has an opinion of making good quality psu's.

Quality ram - now this is the one I'm having problems with, tell me, how come you suggest 2x256 instead of a single 512+256? (what is twinmos btw?). I know for sure I will be buying a new ram chip because my *noname* 256 deserves a flush down the toilet. What kind of ram do you think I should buy? the current 256ddram chipset I have, should I keep it and add it to the ram I will buy, or just buy good quality ram and throw away (sell) this one?
    edited January 2004
    Well like i said, even tho your mobo has the ocing features, the cpu won't overclock unless you unlock it. As for ram i would go with these brands:

Corsair XMS Platinum series
    http://www.corsairmicro.com/corsair/xms.html

Twinmos:
    http://www.twinmos.com/dram/dram_p_dt_dualchannel_ddr400.htm

OCZ:http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/

Buffalo
    Kingston HyperX
    Mushkin

All can be found here: http://www.newegg.com/app/manufactory.asp?catalog=147&DEPA=1

I'd stay away from GEIL. GEIL and AMD don't play well togther.
    edited January 2004
    Originally posted by Nebulous
    The XP2000 isn't an overclocking chip ( well compared to the 2100 and the 1600) I'm assuming it's a Tbred B and not an A will make it a more stubborn chip to oc.

Uh, go drink some coffee dude! :p

2100 and the 1700... (if referring to "B" stepping cpus, there was never a 1600 B)...

or a 2000 "B" stepping released in the states (heard of some 1800 and 2000 in Europe/Asia, but only the 2100 and 1700 in the US). The 2000+ you have is likely an older Palomino core, which will reach its max at 1.7-1.8ghz
    edited January 2004
    Originally posted by stoopid

Uh, go drink some coffee dude! :p

2100 and the 1700... (if referring to "B" stepping cpus, there was never a 1600 B)...

or a 2000 "B" stepping released in the states (heard of some 1800 and 2000 in Europe/Asia, but only the 2100 and 1700 in the US). The 2000+ you have is likely an older Palomino core, which will reach its max at 1.7-1.8ghz

Um......going for my..forgot which # cup..of coffee now ;)

And yes you're right, there was never a 1600 B. I was just referring to the 2000 compared to the other 2 as overclocking potential :o
    edited January 2004
    Also, the Tbred A's were poorer overclockers than B's... I know you know all of this, guess you require more caffeine than you used to! :p
    edited January 2004
    Also, the Tbred A's were poorer overclockers than B's... I know you know all of this, guess you require more caffeine than you used to! :p

Yeah, just got up too. Guess i'm losing my touch eh? lmao !!;)
    edited January 2004

Ok, my motherboard is:
    MSI KT3 Ultra 2 Series (VIA KT333 Chipset Based) MS-6380E v1.X

From the mobo manual:
    CPU specs, supports up to 1.8GHz (Athlon XP 2200+).
    Chipset via kt333, fsb @ 200/266 MHz
    Supports AGP 2.0 1x/2x/4x

So does that mean the max FSB of the processor is 266 MHz? And that if my ram MHz is above 266 (333 like now), I am actually losing those 67 MHz??

On the motherboards CD there is a program called FuzzyLogic4 attached, which enables you to oc from windows. Installing it now.
    edited January 2004
    Installed Fuzzylogic. I can change the FSB but not the multiplier with it.

It also shows that my low cpu load temperature is 50-51 celsius, which is really bad I'm guessing. The current thermal paste between the proc and heatsink looks like a gummy sticker from what I remember. I will try to go out and search for a Zalman heat/fan near me in a shop.

Attaching a pic of FL4.
    edited January 2004
    Also a WCPUID screen. I suppose that to know the realm model of my athlon xp I will have to take off the heatsink.
    edited January 2004
    you need to invest in a nice thermalright Heatsink.
    it will help with your temps.

then you can start OCing.
    edited January 2004
    What about the thermal paste? Does it usually come with the heatsink or should I buy a separate high quality one?
    edited January 2004
    artic silver 3 or Artic silver 5 will be great
    edited January 2004
    Originally posted by citrixmeta
    artic silver 3 or Artic silver 5 will be great

I cuncur, You can also use atric silver ceramique or what's that other stuff that cam out? Shin itsu?
    edited January 2004
    You lost me there, how does the stuff your talking about look exactly? (Ahhhh just checked website, it's like glue you apply it on the processor)

I just visited a local shop, and they have CoolerMasters, I will get this one tomorrow (http://www.coolermaster.com/index.php?LT=english&Language_s=2&url_place=product&p_serial=CP5-8JDIF-0L&other_title=+CP5-8JDIF-0L+CPU%20Cooler). It has lower RPM but it is wide and big so I hope that will make up for it. On the bottom it has a copper plating circle, and in the middle of it there is a white square made of some material <- whats that called? (???).
    edited January 2004
    trust me man, get thermalright , a world of diff.
    edited January 2004
    Originally posted by Nive11en
    On the bottom it has a copper plating circle, and in the middle of it there is a white square made of some material <- whats that called? (???).

We refer to them as "copper slugs" and the white pad is a "thermal pad" (which stink). The copper translates the heat faster to the aluminum (which dissipates heat better, is lighter, and cheaper).

I used a decent, all copper heatsink recently made by coolermaster, but it was a rare find as most of their stuff, sadly, stinks. I'm with citrixmeta, get a thermalright if at all possible.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    Nive11en,
    I have the same mobo and I HAD the very same CPU. I overclocked my system without unlocking the multiplier to 1.875Ghz (150Mhz FSB X 12.5 the multiplier) and that was tweaked and unstable.
    I have decent RAM and a decent heatsink. If you want to go farther you will need to spend some bucks and follow what these guys are saying! If you want to overclock your system thats killer go for it, but the Fuzzy Logic program SUCKS. Do is SLOWLY from the bios.
    You can also flash the Bios and go up to a XP3000+ Barton core, if that is what you want. Check it out here....MSI.com

Keep us posted on what happens!
  • edited January 2004

or a 2000 "B" stepping released in the states (heard of some 1800 and 2000 in Europe/Asia, but only the 2100 and 1700 in the US).

WTF at micro center they had like 50 2000+ xp cpu's, i got one and this was like 7 months ago (AIUHB)
    edited January 2004
    Originally posted by matt
    WTF at micro center they had like 50 2000+ xp cpu's, i got one and this was like 7 months ago (AIUHB)

That was an exception rather than the rule, there weren't many 2000+ made let alone distributed, and most were through the european channels (perhaps that's where microcenter got theirs...).

How did it clock? I heard these were basically the same clockers as the 2100's (and it sounds like the same AIUHB stepping).
    edited January 2004
    To get a final/decisive answer, I posted this over at overclockers.com to see what they have to say...
  • c627627c627627 Kansas
    edited January 2004
    registered for your fine forum because of Pinky's post here:
    http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=2420304

Anyway,
    Originally posted by c627627
    Of course, tons of 2000+ B's right here in the United States.

I even saw a rare 1600+ Thoroughbred B.

http://www.c627627.com/AMD/AthlonXP/

I'll try to dig up a pic of 1600+ B for all you all.
    edited January 2004
    Thanks!
    edited January 2004
    Originally posted by Zuntar
    You can also flash the Bios and go up to a XP3000+ Barton core, if that is what you want. Check it out here....MSI.com

Keep us posted on what happens!
    Many Thanks for that info Zantar, now I know I can still upgrade to amd xp 3000+ barton without switching my motherboard. Ow, I would be so ignorant without these forums :p

Other than that, I have selected my course of action:
    1. Buy 512 DDRAM Kingston HyperX
    2. Buy a good cpu fan, probably now a thermaltake lol.

Once I get on with those points, I'll post to update. Thanks guys.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    No problem, I am quite interested in what you find out, so post away!!:D
    edited February 2004
    Ok, the temps I get with my current fan/radiator setup (a company called Q-Tec made it) are:
    Right after boot up to desktop: 45 C
    Idle after 2-3 hours: 46 C
    100% BUSY with Folding@Home after 2-3 hours: 54 C

I will update once I use the Arctic Silver 5 (or whichever I get my hands on in the future) and a new radiator/fan (I'm not sure yet what I will buy).