Athlon XP 2000+ overclock?

2»

Comments

• Nive11enNive11en Europe
    edited February 2004
    I have updated my BIOS to the newest version, and the temperatures have changed...... heres the new stats:
    Idle for 2 hours: 44 C (jumped to 45 at 1,5h and back to 44 at 2 hours ^_^)
    Busy with Folding@Home for 2 hours: 52 C (After 4 hours it still is 52 C, so looks like a limit)

I have heard from a different person already that if you flash some MSI's mobo's BIOS the temperatures go down. Maybe it was a bug? Or some kind of new optimised code so the proc don't have to work as hard? No idea.

I will update this thread once I get my new Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste and the Thermalright ALX-800 that I have just ordered today. No idea what fan to use, though I will try using the Aero 7+ fan :)
  • NebulousNebulous New York, The Empire State
    edited February 2004
    Hmmm, I can't confirm the changes in the temps with the MSI board as i've never owned one, but some new bioses for other boards do have fixes and recalibrations for the temps sensors.
    edited February 2004
    New Thermalright ALX-800 heatsink with Coolermaster case fan @ 2800 RPM (quiet) idle (none or low load) temps are:
    40 C after 1-2 hours when my computer case is closed
    35-36 C after .5+ hour when my case is open

The thermal paste (Arctic Silver 5) has only been applied 8 hours ago or so. After 3 to 4 days I'll post again with idle and full load temps when the thermal paste has set in.

I gotta figure out a way to lower my "closed case" temperatures, any ideas? (I already have a fan running in the bottom front, putting cold air in, and a fan running in the upper back at the level of the heatsink taking out hot air, those fans are running at 5 volts btw)
  • NebulousNebulous New York, The Empire State
    edited February 2004
    5 volts? You have 12v fans runnin at 5v? i dunno bro,you're just slowing down airflow.

You can do some wire management. Tidy up all the wires and cables with zip ties and tuck them away from the fan's airflow.
    edited February 2004
    I don't remember whether they are @ 5 or 7 volts. I modded them a long time ago using one of Icrontic's guides. Anyway in the next couple of days I'm planning to clean up, oil up every single fan in my case (a black Chieftec Dragon midi tower btw - it has great potential for good airflow).
    Will get round IDE cables too, my wide ones are really slowing the air flow. Now that I think about it I'm either gonna get 2 more case fans or put back my current ones to 12v or both.
    Might even buy 4 sleek Zalman case fans. Dunno, will see.
    edited February 2004
    Ok my official results of the Thermalright ALX-800 heatsink in conduction with the Coolermaster 80mm case fan SAF-B82 running at 2800 RPM (about 26 dba, so pretty quiet) are:

Idle or low load - 37C (2+ hours and stable*)
    Idle or low load with an open case - 35C (2+ hours and stable*)
    100% load (Folding@Home) - 45C after running for 1-2 days (for 2-12 hours its 41C)

The thing that I find strange is that when running Folding@Home for most of the day it would seem that the limit of max temperature is about 41C, only after running for much longer I got 45C.

My current goal is to try to make the closed case temperature as near to my room temperature as possible, with an open case the case temp is 32C, so the sensor must be placed in a strange place since my room temperature is at least 10C less.

*By a stable temperature I mean it stops there, 37C stable means even after a week it will still be 37C :)

Please note that I have 3 other fans in the case, 2 case fans and 1 psu. One case fan is running in the front low putting cold air in (at 5-7v), second is in the upper back taking warm air out (at 5-7v). I have enough space to have 2 case fans in the back and 2 in the front. At 12V the case fans work at 3100 RPM and are very loud. No idea what RPM they have at 5-7V. I might buy 4 more coolermaster case fans because they do 2800RPM at 12V and are far more quiet. You can check out how my case looks at Chieftec.com, case is in my sig.
  • edited September 2005
    This is an old thread but I've got a some info that might still be of use.Im using an Athlon XP2000+ T-Bred-B. I found a site a while back that can tell you exactly what Athlon XP you have according to the numbers on your cpu.
    http://www.hwspirit.com/tools.php?m=cpu This is how i came to find out what I have.This is a damn good processor for overclocking.I have it up to 2.2 gig with heatpipe cooling.I'm currently using the ThermalRight SI-97 with a Delta 92x38mm FFB0912EHE 110 cfm Fan,Pretty loud but its cooling is like no other.Steady 40c under load with a Gigabyte GA-7VT600P-RZ MB,1024 mb of Kingston,and a GeforceFX5200 Ultra with a ThermalTake ExtremeGiant 2 thats overclocked to 377mhz on the core and 754mhz on the memoryclock.

I'm damn curious as to what you have achieved with your 2000+ and wether you have found out its core type.Try that website and It can tell you.Post back with your results!

Brian
    edited September 2005
    Damn, you've dug up a hell of an old thread. I had a Athlon XP 2000+ on the Palomino core, which pretty much sucked for overclocking. From what I know, all other cores overclock much better than the Palomino.
  • edited September 2005
    Yea My First was a Palamino and it was a horrible one.It ran hot when it was running at normal speeds.I ended up getting mine from a friend that upgraded to an Athlon 64. Needless to say you junked the Palamino eh?I used mine as a test subject and did a cache hack on it (to 512)and unlocked the multiplier,put a peltier on top of it and overclocked the shit out of it!!!ran pretty stable at around 2600mhz till the peltier froze over one night and fried everything LMAO!! It was an experience that was priceless.
  • edited September 2005
    I love MSI motherboards, and I had the same one once upon a time Nive11en, but since then had upgraded to the Nforce2. There are many that would say Asus makes a better board for OC'ing, and they'd probably be right because on the average they do perform better. The thing I like best about MSI though is the level of quality and stability. MSI will never make the fastest board (nor are they a slouchy board either), but check out reviews on Tom's Hardware and you'll see they are decent boards. Or at least they used to be. You have a great board there, in my opinion.

I used to be into OC'ing a lot more than I am now. I'll occassionally play around in the bios to squeeze out a little extra, but nothing major. All in all I get the performance I need out of a barton 2600, so I'm not investing a ton of money until I'm ready to make the jump to 64bit, which won't be until I see what Microsoft releases for an OS.

Good luck with the OC and keep us posted.
    edited September 2005
    Athlon Xp 2000+ cache hack + peltier? Hehe now that sounds interesting. If I ever have to ditch my Palomino because of age, I might try that.

I use the AXP 2000+ Palomino still, it's a secondary rig though. And yes, I never had any problems with the MSI motherboard or the whole system itself. Always stable. It's the same with my current DFI + A64, stable, no problems whatsoever. Both of these motherboards, and I'm very happy for that, were good choices.
  • edited September 2005
    Ive been using Gigabyte boards for as long as I can remember.They always support overclocking(changing fsb and vcore) and they have a Revolutionary Bios update Feature called @Bios that allows you to update the Bios While in Windows.No need for a floppy drive and no need to change the boot orders around and all that.I'm currently using their Apollo600 platform and it performs quit well.

The cache Hack was pretty nice.It didnt seem like a palamino anymore after that!It was tedious tho and very nerve wracking,I dont recomend it on a good processor!
  • edited September 2005
    By update the Bios while in Windows, do you mean flashing? If so, that's pretty cool, but maybe that's becoming more common (see how old school I am? -- I gotta start reading up more on hardware to stay current).
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited September 2005
    My ECS board supports hotflashing, but it's not something one would do if they had common sence. "The bios is locked during use in most implementations, and in order to make it flashable, the bios data must be in memory, or you will fail each time. You wanna flash your bios? Use a floppy. You wanna do it right? Buy a chipburner."

I tried flashing mine hot with the software provided by Nvidia. I had to send my board back to newegg, and the one they sent back hates everything I've put in it. -Lesson to be learned, ECS Sucks.