Wheee! (I modified an Opel Speedster in NFS 6...

Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
edited November 2003 in Gaming
Those of you who are into car and who have been here long enough probably know that I have a desire to basically strap a supercharged 500CI Chevy into a Lotus 7 that's been lightened further with carbon fiber, drilled body panels, etc.

The net result would be ~750hp in a car that weighed <1500lbs.

Well, I started playing around with the (user-accessible) code that controls the performance of the cars in Need For Speed Hot Pursuit II today...

So, I now have a simulated BMW M5 powered by a 5.6L M117 Mercedes V8 out of an '86 U.S. spec 560SEL, complete with 4-speed Mercedes auto. Still working on the handling on that one.

The OTHER car that I did, on the other hand, is significantly more exciting. I created a "mild" version of the concept I described initially- tiny car, massive engine. I ran DesktopDynos (old DOS engine dyno simulator) to get the torque curve (which is apparently part of what NFSII uses to calculate performance) for a 400cid SB Chevy with a 12.5:1 CR, street/strip cam, 3000cfm fuel injection system, racing exhaust, and 4 valve/cyl racing heads. Peak torque was ~600lb-ft at like 4500rpms.

So, I converted that to newton-meters (which is what NFS uses), and plugged it in. Swapped the transmission code with the code for the Lamborghini Murcielago, changed the maximum engine speed to 7000rpms, put '04 Viper SRT10-size rubber on it, 15" disc brakes, changed the coefficient of drag to .19 (which is = to the GM EV1, which is the most aerodynamic car of all time), changed the downforce parameters, bumped the suspension stiffness, etc. Oh, and I dropped the curb weight to 1250lbs, and gave it 4wd (25/75 FR).

I now have what amounts to a go-kart powered by a 550hp V8. It's fast. 0-60MPH <3s, 0-100MPH <6, highest speed I've hit so far is 214MPH. Oh, and it's essentially glued to the road. As in, "I can go around most of the corners on most of the tracks without taking my foot off the gas" glued to the road. And yes, the fact that it wins so easily takes all the fun out of racing itself, but the car is such a blast to drive that it doesn't really matter... :D

Comments

• WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    w00t?
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited November 2003
    I think I have NFSII around here somewhere. Care to share your uber car, Geeky? :D
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited November 2003
    Sure... I assume by NFS II you mean Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2, right? I don't know if it'll work on earlier versions...

Have to upload it when I get home tho. I thought I had the current version on my laptop, but I don't. When I upload it (tonight) all you have to do is take the .ini file and replace the one in the file folder for the car you want to use the settings with... I'd suggest the Opel Speedster, since I don't know for sure that it'll work on any of the other cars.

BTW, if you want to play around with the settings on the cars, if you go to the folder for the car in question, which is under game directory\cars\car folder (the folders are named pretty clearly- M5 for the M5, speedstr for the Opel Speedster, etc.) and double-click the file entitled "car" (it's a .ini file), it'll open in notepad and modifying the code is pretty straightforward... you don't even need to understand coding to do it, in fact...
    edited November 2003
    Well, I'm pretty sure it's Need For Speed Hot Pursuit but now that you ask I'm not absolutely positive. I guess I'd have to dig around and find the CD to be sure. :D

I haven't actually played the game but I got the CD for like $4 @ a $1 & More store and figured it would probably be worth the $4.
    edited November 2003
    Well, if you got it for $4, it's probably either Need For Speed, Need For Speed SE, Need For Speed 2, Need For Speed 2 SE, Need For Speed 3: Hot Pursuit, or Need For Speed: High Stakes (aka NFS 4).

What you'll need is Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2, which is the newest version of the game (until Underground comes out anyhow)

http://www.eagames.com/official/nfs/hotpursuit2/us/

also see:
    http://www.nfscars.net/

They have a huge # of cars and mods for most of the need for speed series.
    edited November 2003
    Well, I'm not a gamer, LOL. I had no idea there were that many versions of NFS. :)
    edited November 2003
    Yeah, there are a LOT of versions of NFS... the game has been around a long, long time (the original ran in a fullscreen DOS prompt in Win 95)...

<UL>NFS Versions, listed chronologically:
    <li>Need For Speed
    <li>Need For Speed SE
    <li>Need For Speed 2
    <li>Need For Speed 2 SE
    <li>Need For Speed 3: Hot Pursuit
    <li>Need For Speed: High Stakes
    <li>Need For Speed: Motor City Online
    <li>Need For Speed: Porsche Unleashed
    <li>Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit 2
    <li>Need For Speed: Underground

as well as a few console-only versions...

And I've got every one (:D), except the console versions and Motor City Online, which I returned because I refuse to pay a subscription fee for a game I own.
    edited November 2003
    I didn't know MCO was NFS. My uncle was a HUGE MCO fan. He was ticked off when they shut down MCO a few months ago.
  • Rot-KatzeRot-Katze Pensacola, Florida
    edited November 2003
    well..good concept just totally unrealistic lol

I still like the idea of a Pontiac Fiero with a turbocharged (TE51)Buick V6..you know..the '87 Regal engine..teehee

Anyways, that's about 330-350 Horses easy..pretty good weight distribution too..since it's a small engine
    edited November 2003
    I have the Fiero if you want to donate the engine. ;D
    edited November 2003
    I actually have a Buick V6 from a '71 Jeep CJ5

needs a lot of work though
    edited November 2003
    Rot, yeah... 1250lbs with a big iron v8 isn't realistic. However, I'm working with Desktop Dynos 2000 to see if I can get an acceptable amount of power out of a 1.9L Honda with a Garrett T4 @ 20psi of boost... :D

Car:
    edited November 2003
    I'd love to see a S10 sportting a V12 in the bed

rofl

actually..I have seen an S10 around here with a 383 and 150HP shot nitrous

runs about 11 sec 1/4 mile
    edited November 2003
    Well, according to Desktop Dynos 2000, strapping a Garrett T4 onto a Mercedes 6.0L v12 with a 10:1 CR and cranking the boost to 20PSI will get you >1000hp & 1000lb-ft. The only problem is 20PSI + 10:1 CR = racing fuel + octane booster :D
    edited November 2003
    racing fuel + octane booster = aviation fuel?
    edited November 2003
    something close, anyhow.

Although AMG/Mercedes has their CL65/S65/SL65 coming out at the end of next year...

6.0L V12, twin turbos, 9.5:1 or 10:1 CR as I recall, and they run 21.8psi of boost on pump gas. They also put out more power than any production car engine except for the Ferrari Enzo, and put out more torque than any production car engine, period. AND, AMG had to DE-TUNE them to keep the cars from totally shredding the transmissions. Supposedly these things are good for >750HP/800LB-FT, but the transmission can't handle it. As it is tho, it has 612HP and 738LB-FT, so...

I dunno. I think 0-60 in ~4s for a near-5000lb car is pretty impressive... :D
    edited November 2003
    damn.

Bentley has some catching up to do (TT 6.75L V12, 5.5sec 0-60mph)
    edited November 2003
    Sweeet! Needs a supercharger tho.