Alianware laptops, good or not?

edited April 2005 in Hardware
Ive read alot about them and i know they are supposed to be ideal for gaming but are they actualy any good?

Comments

• edited April 2005
    very good/ very expensive.

if you want the best of the best go to www.falcon-nw.com best laptops you can buy.
  • verselloversello New
    edited April 2005
    Alienware makes good laptops, but they're too expensive. You can get more for what you pay for an Alienware.

I've been hearing a lot of good words about the new Dell Inspiron 9300 and Dell XPS2 laptops.
  • edited April 2005
    ahhhhhhhhhh................... no no no no no no no no no no they use crappy batteries that'll only last you like 40 min and they wiegh like 14 lbs they are crap too thick too.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited April 2005
    Alienware is a joke. Always has been, always will be. IF you want a serious gaming laptop, look at the Dell XPS Gen2 or the Sagers @ www.powernotebooks.com or www.pctorque.com

Sager makes outstanding notebooks... I've got one in addition to my XPS, and my mother just bought herself one. They're well built, cheaper than Alienware or Dell, and they're faster.

Aspire: big, thick, heavy and crap battery life are the compromises you make if you want the absolute highest performance laptop you can get. That's just the way it goes. You can't run a desktop P4 or A64 in a 5lb notebook. Not enough space for cooling or for a battery that'll get you a remotely meaningful runtime. Both of my notebooks are DTRs, and they were both the fastest notebooks you could get when I bought them, bar none. Yes, I could've gotten a 3.4GHz EE and 2GB of RAM in the Dell instead of a 3.4E and 1GB but that would've added $2500 to a $4200 notebook and gotten me no tangible real-world performance boost.

If you want a notebook that can hand most peoples' desktops their ass on a platter, you're going to pay for it in increased weight, size, and heat output. The XPS Gen2 has a Pentium M which mitigates a lot of the heat output and battery life issues, but the Pentium M is not *quite* as fast as the very top shelf P4s- a 2.1GHz PM is equivalent to a 3.3GHz P4...