So I took apart the Dell last weekend (56k beware)

Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
edited April 2005 in Hardware
Took it apart to clean out the 3rd heatsink and fan assembly, which is not externally accessible, and because I wanted to try a much slower CPU in it (I'm thinking about buying a mobile CPU for it, and the slower CPU I was going to put in it has about the same power requirements and heat output that the mobile I'm looking at does... unfortunately the slower CPU didn't work), AND because I've been dying to tear it apart since I got it anyhow.

The first two thumbnails are what it would look like if you pulled the LCD, keyboard, and wrist rest, then reinstalled the keyboard bracket (has to be uninstalled to get the wrist rest off). So basically it's what it'd look like if you could look into the laptop with it assembled. The first pic has the DVD/CD-RW drive installed, the second one has it removed, showing just the corner of the hard drive underneath it.

Then a partially disassembled pic with the bracket out, all the drives out, and the two externally accessible fans out.

After that, there's a pic of the top of the motherboard in its magnesium chassis (which fits inside the plastic outer shell) and one of the bottom in the chassis.

Finally there are a couple of the top and bottom of the motherboard itself, removed from the chassis, one of the video card (Radeon 9800m/256mb), the top and bottom sides of the CPU heatsink assembly with the shroud removed, and one of the chipset heatsink.

//EDIT
You can find the complete specs of the laptop (along with my other computers) in this thread... the laptop pictured here is the Dell XPS...
http://www.ic-games.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=671

Briefly though, it has a 3.4GHz P4E, 1GB of dual channel DDR400, and a 256MB Radeon 9800m (which is a Radeon X800se with power saving features... don't ask me why they didn't call it the X800se-m, because I don't know, but they didn't)

Comments

• Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited April 2005
    pics continued (see the 1st post for what each pic is)
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited April 2005
    last one... this is the chipset heatsink...
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    This is cool. I've never seen the inside of a lappy before.
    Crazy looking mobo, all cut to fit.
    Thnx Geeky for givin us a chance to see under the hood, so to speak.
    Now, You can get it back together, Right? lol
  • edited April 2005
    The cooling methods are interesting to see, all heatpipes and fins. Its the kind of thing thats being brought over to desktops just on a slighly larger scale.

Nice shots Geeky.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Exactly my thoughts too rapture. Very interesting. I was thinking, "Why didn't they bring that technology over sooner!"
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited April 2005
    Well why do you think Dell started selling pcs for under 600 or 700 bucks a few years ago?
  • edited April 2005
    Heh, just couldn't stand not tearing it down to pieces huh Geeky? :haha: :haha: I'm kind of surprised you left it alone for as long as you did. :cool:

How's things been going with you Geeky?