Bet you've never seen one of these...

Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
edited June 2005 in Hardware
I bought myself a "new" computer at a surplus store the other day. Unfortunately, it was DOA and is gonna cost me an arm and a leg to get running. But, it was cheap ($15), and I can all but guarantee that you guys won't have seen one of these before.

It's a Digital AlphaStation 200 4/166. Those of you that know what that is can skip this next bit. Digital (aka DEC, Digital Equipment Corporation) was a company that made *very* high end workstations and servers in the 1990s, until they were bought out by HP/Compaq.

They are *not* PCs. They use Digital's own Alpha processor, of their own design, and it is nothing like an x86 CPU (which is what all consumer level CPUs made since the late paleolithic are). It was the world's first 64-bit processor, and is a RISC CPU (most CPUs made today are CISC).

The one in my machine is a 166MHz chip... doesn't sound like much but it has 512kb of on-die cache and another 512kb of on-board cache, and even though it's only 166MHz it will decimate a 400MHz P2.

This particular machine was made in 1995, and was pretty well loaded as far as I can tell. Since it doesn't boot, I can't verify the RAM amount, but if I'm reading the stickers on the SIMMs right it has 384mb of ram, which is the maximum the board could take, and a hell of a lot of RAM for 1995. As far as drives go, it's got 2 1.05GB Quantum SCSI hard disks, a Toshiba CD, and a floppy.

Graphics are handled by a PCI graphics board with a DEC chipset on it, and the machine will run Unix, Linux, Windows NT (3.5, possibly 4.0), VMWare, BSD, and possibly Solaris.

As I've said... this was not a consumer-level machine. It probably sold for around $15k in 1995, and was intended for CAD work, computer animation (like the stuff Pixar does, although SGI is the big name in CGI stuff afaik), and complex simulation modeling.

Some more info on this thing:
http://www5.tsl.uu.se/tsl/computing/migrated_vms_www_server_files/hardware/info/dec/a200.html

And the pics. 28 in total, of disassembly, various components, and reassembly. The only ones that I think really need any explanation is the couple closeups of the power connector on the bottom hard drive, which shows just how little clearance there is between that and the SIMM slots. I damaged a couple clips on the slots getting that thing out. :( Oh, and the laptop is in some of the pics because I was IMing people while I was tearing this thing down.

Pics (thumbnailed, click for full version):
DEC01th.jpg
DEC02th.jpg
DEC03th.jpg
DEC04th.jpg
DEC05th.jpg
DEC06th.jpg
DEC07th.jpg
DEC08th.jpg
DEC09th.jpg
DEC10th.jpg
DEC11th.jpg
DEC12th.jpg
DEC13th.jpg
DEC14th.jpg

Comments

• Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited June 2005
    Other 14 pics...
    DEC15th.jpg
    DEC16th.jpg
    DEC17th.jpg
    DEC18th.jpg
    DEC19th.jpg
    DEC20th.jpg
    DEC21th.jpg
    DEC22th.jpg
    DEC23th.jpg
    DEC28th.jpg
    DEC24th.jpg
    DEC25th.jpg
    DEC26th.jpg
    DEC27th.jpg
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited June 2005
    Cool I haven't seen a Dec Alpha in probably 5 years. A friend of mine had one that he picked up from his work when they were recycling them. It was at the time a damn sweet computer extremely efficient processer and bus design. Doesn't compete with today's computers anymore but they were about 3 years ahead of their time when comparing relative processer speed. As for getting your going then you are probably going to be out of luck if it's the mobo or cpu.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    The nice part is, you can get a copy of Windows NT that will run on that thing. NT4 was available in an Alpha build.
    edited June 2005
    I would personally recomend running Linux on it, it's free and it runs it very well. Linux fully takes advantage of the hardware more the windows does, plus since you can't really run it as a game machine it's more a utilitarian computer linux is better suited for it. That is of course if you can get it working.
    edited June 2005
    kryyst wrote:
    Cool I haven't seen a Dec Alpha in probably 5 years. A friend of mine had one that he picked up from his work when they were recycling them. It was at the time a damn sweet computer extremely efficient processer and bus design. Doesn't compete with today's computers anymore but they were about 3 years ahead of their time when comparing relative processer speed. As for getting your going then you are probably going to be out of luck if it's the mobo or cpu.

PS is shot. Completely shot. Even though it looks fine in the pic... no bulging caps, no craters where resistors should be, etc... it's dead Jim. The switch checks out OK, as does the fuse... just that if i hit the power switch nothing happens. At all. Not even the PS fan spins.

Refurbed PSes are $150-$500. Not paying that kind of money for a 180w PS for a 10 year old computer. I'll fix this one myself if I can or adapt an ATX ps, or just get a different DEC Alpha.

...same surplus store has a couple SGI Indigo 2s and some Sun SPARCstations. I may pick up one of each at some point. :rarr:
    edited June 2005
    The SGI's are nice if you are doing graphics work, however again depends on how old they are and other factors. The sparcs pretty useless for the most part they date really fast.
    edited June 2005
    Heh. Yes, but they're *different* damnit!! :p I'm sick of Windows and x86. I've owned and used almost every x86 CPU made by Intel and AMD since 1998, in almost every interface they made it in. There's not much left for me to do on the Windows side of things that I haven't done already.

So. I'm re-building my G4 (which I killed) with a DA logic board, and I'll be able to run OSX on that... But an Indigo and a SPARCStation would be fun to play around with... useless or not. ;)
  • verselloversello New
    edited June 2005
    Heh, I remember those AlphaStations.

I vividly recall seeing magazine ads for those saying "WARNING! 500MHz in a 300MHz zone!" (at the time, the P2 300 was the fastest chip available from Intel). Good days, good days.
    edited June 2005
    mmm... 500MHz 64 bit RISC CPU... *drools*

Those 500-600mhz alphastations are still >$1k O_O :-|
  • verselloversello New
    edited June 2005
    "RISC is good." - Hackers, the movie
  • adhamadham Ft Bragg, NC
    edited June 2005
    Great website Versello!
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited June 2005
    Bet I have seen them. And worked on them when they were new also. Along with the SGI's and a shitload of the sun boxs.

If you don't want windows and are geeked out by Linux try downloading Solaris 10 for x86 systems instead.

Tex
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Geeky, I'll sell ya my SGI. All it needs is some RAM and a monitor. I have the uber long cable for it too. It's a Indigo2 and it has IRIX already loaded. Boots up no problem once you stick RAM in it.

BTW, IM me. I want you to talk me out of buying a super low mileage beautiful 380SL convertable with both tops. :)