Dell laptop hd's

edited November 2003 in Hardware
i'll probably be getting a dell inspirion 5150 here pretty soon. I was just wonder if the 30GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive they came with was fast enough, or if I should spend the extra $150 and get the ultra ata 60 gb 7200 rpm drive? Will it be a noticeable difference? I'll be getting the laptop with a p4 3.06 ghz processor with HT and 256 megs of ram.

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited November 2003
    If you're going to be using this mostly on batteries I wouldn't bother. Power Management is going to spin the drive down frequently anyway.
  • qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited November 2003
    If he's getting the P4 3.06 I don't think he's gonna be on battery much (as it'll last all of 90 minutes max). 7200 rpm will make a huge difference over 5400 rpm especially during bootup and loading of large apps. (Are you sure the 30GB is 5400rpm? If its 7200rpm there won't be a difference). Make sure to get some more ram for that (from anywhere but dell) as 256 MB won't do you no matter what :D. $150 is reasonable given you're getting double the storage and increased speed.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited November 2003
    ABSOLUTELY get at LEAST a 5400RPM hard drive. I've got a Sager NP5620-Ultra laptop (P4-2.4/400, 512MB DDR, R7500m 64MB, 4200RPM/40GB Toshiba) that I bought last June. It's a very, very fast computer, but as soon as it has to go to the HD, it gets unbearably slow. I'm seriously thinking about buying one of the 7200rpm drives for it. But get at least a 5400RPM drive, or you'll be kicking yourself after you get it.

Also take a look at www.powernotebooks.com

The Sager notebooks are cheaper, faster, and better in every concievable way than Dell's. I bought my Sager from Powernotebooks, and the service is absolutely unbeatable- they have a 10.00 rating on resellerratings with ~600 reviews.

The 8890, in particular, may be something to consider- it supports 800MHz bus P4s, dual-channel DDR400 (it has an Intel 865pe chipset), and it has <b>HARDWARE RAID 0 OR 1</b> for two internal hard drives. In fact, it supports up to <b>4 INTERNAL</b> hard drives in total.

The 8890 is under the "16'" heading at Powernotebooks.com
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited November 2003
    Oh, I just noticed- they also have a 17" widescreen model with a 9600 mobility (which the 8890 has, too) and the 865pe chipset now.
  • qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited November 2003
    Power notebooks is definitely the best deal around for desktop replacement notebooks