Vista requirements laughable!

edited February 2007 in Science & Tech
I'm linking an article here on the basic requirements to run the new Microsoft OS, and I must say, I don't think people will be jumping on the Vista bandwagon in droves or anything, considering all you'll have to upgrade to run the damn thing.

http://www.pcmech.com/show/kudos/919/

For those who don't want to read the article (though you should), here's a summary:

7GB footprint- not a huge deal, considering HDs are pretty large now, but that's still honking huge.
800MB Ram - this is just to run the OS. For games you'll probably need 2-4GB.
HDCP Compliant Video Card & Monitor - the article states that no cards or monitors on the market today will work, and you'll get a blank screen with "Monitor Revoked" on it.
Trusted Platform Mode (TPM) - A Vista security feature found on the motherboard. Basically, unless you're one of the few high-tech corporate right now, you don't have it and you'll need a new MB.
Vista Itself - This is going to cost you, but first you have to figure out which of the 20 versions best suits your needs. Yes, including OEMS, there are 20 estimated versions.

I'm not sure where this article gets it's information, or how much is true, but it seems rediculous to upgrade to Vista anytime soon.

Edit: bad spelling :P

Comments

• Massive_gasMassive_gas Baghdad
    edited April 2006
    i'm gonna go out on a limb and say vista is going to fail just like ME did
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited April 2006
    They are being slightly over zealous in their doom and gloom of Vista. The hardware requirements aren't strictly accurate and there won't be 20 different versions of Vista strictly speaking. The monitor requirements are only to play HD content back and aren't going to stop normal computer usage. The protected software/hardware interface is going to be interesting but again it'll only effect people that buck the system anyway and for those it'll be hacked.

Personally I'm not planning on upgrading to Vista there is no point to it. It doesn't bring anything new or good to the table. However it's not going to fail because it'll roll out with Dell's, HP's and every other boxed system down the line. It'll succeed because it's simpley MS's next real OS.
  • edited April 2006
    i'm gonna go out on a limb and say vista is going to fail just like ME did
    DirectX10
    Personally I'm not planning on upgrading to Vista there is no point to it. It doesn't bring anything new or good to the table.
    DirectX10

A lot of these articles take me back to 2000-2001 with the whole win 2k to XP thing.

I used XP as soon as it was sent out to OEMs, went out and bought the license. I went through a good 6 months of people telling me how much better win2k was but they all changed soon enough.
  • edited April 2006
    My take on it is, if you're already dumping money toward a new Motherboard and RAM, well, you may as well update the processor and video card. And if you're buying a new video-card for HD compliance, well you may as well buy a new monitor that supports it...and so on. But if I want Vista just to stay current on the OS (with it's glassy new gui, ease of use, admin & parental controls, better security -- and DX10 I guess) on my old existing hardware, looks like I'm screwed.

Windows ME rolled out OEM on new hardware, doesn't mean it wasn't a pile crap and soon ditched for a rollback to 98 or NT/2000; but yes Vista will be on every new premade computer system out there. I just hope it's worth people having to buy an all new system -- and I hope thier returns department is well staffed for people who buy it and can't run it.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    I was in a MS Technical Review with several Microsoft Senior Engineers this past Tuesday (4/11/06) and the specs that he claimed were nowhere as high as listed above...

Due to constant bug fixes and feature improvements currently being done on a daily basis, even the senior engineers don't know and won't know what the final specs will be until Vista is finalized as far as features. Then the entire operating system will go through an optimization phase that will tweak and adjust features to maximize performance while still leaving a good feel. When the final Beta is released this summer, then you will start seeing actual specs being released.

Right now, the system is running very slow. They know this and making final assumptions for the basic specs is unrealistic and probably flat wrong. I did a full write up on my take from the Tech Review over at Short-Media. Stop in and see what I gleamed.<o></o>
  • edited April 2006
    i dont think that microsoft is so stupid that will force people to go out and buy new specific hardware so they can use their operating system/
    I bought my monitor like 3 years ago and i paid a lot of money becuase it is an eizo. Not planning of upgrading soon
    edited April 2006
    airoh69 wrote:
    i dont think that microsoft is so stupid that will force people to go out and buy new specific hardware so they can use their operating system/
    I bought my monitor like 3 years ago and i paid a lot of money becuase it is an eizo. Not planning of upgrading soon

Well you'd be wrong - partially. You won't need to upgrade your computer to run Vista (unless it just won't handle minimum requirements). However if you want to play High Definition video back on your computer then you do need an HD compliant video card and monitor. Most newer video cards are already HD compliant. So it's really the monitors that will be the big issue for most people.
  • edited April 2006
    Most newer video cards are already HD compliant. So it's really the monitors that will be the big issue for most people.

I keep reading more and more that's a myth. The original article states it is, and here's another article to support that.

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/7321.cfm

In a nutshell it says, if you've purchased a new video card lately, you've wasted your money, and you will probably need a new vid-card for HD. You're video card memory also has to have a bandwidth of 1,800MB per second -- whatever that means (see this article).

http://www.networkcomputing.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=185303209

I agree with QCH's premise that it's too soon to tell, but so far it doesn't sound promising, and unless it becomes simplified (which is Apple's forte, not MS's), I think people are just going to get confused into not upgrading.
    edited April 2006
    Not sure about the memmory bandwidth that 1800 seems an odd number. But I just picked up a 6600gt and it says HD compliant on it. But whatever I'll not be putting vista on anytime soon. I'll be getting a Mac long before vista is even an option and that'll be that.
  • edited April 2006
    Now that you can dual boot on the Intel processors, Mac seems a logical choice, though I'd probably wait just a little longer to see what Apple may annouce in the next 6 months or so.
    edited April 2006
    Not sure on the time frame the but next thing that'll be coming out are the intel versions of the PowerPC's. Rumors right now are that they'll be either dual Dual core Chips or if they are ready intime Dual Quad Core chips. I personally will go out and estimate the price to be 2299 and up. But keep in mind that's just the box and it doesn't come with a monitor. You want a nice Mac Cinema monitory and you are up to $3000 easily.
  • edited April 2006
    I wouldn't focus on getting a Apple cinema, as there are less expensive alternatives that are just as good. I use a PowerPC at work, and it's hooked up to a Dell 21" flat panel. A very nice display and zero problems hooking up to a Mac.

Yes, Apple runs at a much higher pricepoint, then most run-of-the-mill systems.
  • AranyicAranyic Casstown, OH Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    I'm really looking forward to vista. It is something new and hopefully microsoft can improve on what they have. I've tried linux and just don't like it for day to day usage. I have never used a mac for more than a few minutes (it is something I really want to give a real shot though) so I can't compare it to that. I am a microsoft fan myself though, it's what I use every day and what almost everyone else uses that I have to help out with computers.
  • edited April 2006
    I don't mean to sound like such a downer on Vista. I just think that Microsoft may be shooting itself in the foot with steep requirements and all the anti-piracy measures. And it's not really Microsoft's fault piracy is a problem (we all know it's kryyst :D ), but it's one of those cases of one bad apple can spoil the bunch if I may cliche my way around.

No bones about it, I'm eager to see Vista in action though.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited October 2006
    My computer is so HD-Ready, that it could poo whole DVD's out of the exaust port. Check my SIG, Fellas!
    edited October 2006
    One thing to note all iMacs have been HD ready for awhile :)

Seriously though Vista I just don't get it. I've seen the demo's I've even played with a recent build and I haven't seen that shiny, polished apple that should make me want to buy it. Personally I'm not a fan of the new Glass Gui at all. It kinda looks neat but doesn't add any actual functionality that alt-tab doesn't already do. Imac's Expose feature is better by far. All the new networking features that come enabled and then have to be disabled just to make it really worth while is a huge annoyance. I'm also no supporter of having the OS dictate what drivers I can and can't install. I'm ok with a prompt asking me if I'm sure I want to do it. I'm certainly not happy with an OS that says sorry you can't because they haven't paid us yet.

DRM yes well it could be annoying but it'll only be annoying initially until it's cracked. Then it'll just be one of those things you have to do to get things to work.

Which really only leaves Directx 10. So yeah it's supposed to be fantastic. But it'll be a year at least until it's useful or even mandatory. I also have a feeling that MS will break down and release Directx 10 for XP. I mean game developers aren't idiots. They know people in a year will still be running XP. As far as Windows OS's go XP is the best they have. I still prefer it's gui to that of Vista's bloated mess. So if in a year they want to put out Directx 10 games and Vista hasn't taken off yet then directx 10 won't be a requirement or they'll pressure MS to make Directx 10 available to XP.

But what does all this then mean? The only thing Windows holds dominance over is the video game world? And if then doesn't that mean that Vista with it's Directx push is really only an Xbox - PC?

Seriously, I mean ok I've always been an alternative to windows guy. I love Linux and I really love OSx. Before using linux or OSX used to have limits when it came to business software and certainly games. While the game front is still a hurdle that's not coming down anytime soon, the business front is no longer the same. I mean Office regardless if it's OpenOffice or MS Office is now fully functional on Linux and OSX. Then you have business ERP style software which is more and more becoming OS independent as most are switching to JAVA/Web apps.

Then if you really need a business app we have programs like VMWARE, Parallels and Xen that allow us to run a virtual machine in our prefered OS. So I can be working blissfully in whatever OS and just have a virtual machine of XP running for the 1 or 2 apps I may need. Dual booting of course is another option.
  • edited October 2006
    Not sure what any of that had to do with Vista but I still stand by what I said originally. Wait for the software to be released before writing it off.

There are plenty of people who hate luna but prefer to use XP over win 2k, UI shouldnt be the main reason for using an operating system.

As for the system requirement I'm not all that shocked. 2gb of memory isnt exactly overkill and the 20+ versions business turned out to be FUD anyway.
    Before using linux or OSX used to have limits when it came to business software
    What makes you say that?
    edited October 2006
    rapture wrote:
    Not sure what any of that had to do with Vista but I still stand by what I said originally. Wait for the software to be released before writing it off.

There are plenty of people who hate luna but prefer to use XP over win 2k, UI shouldnt be the main reason for using an operating system.

I don't know about that. I think the UI should be a pretty substantial reason for the use of an OS. It is after all one of the things you'll be interacting with the most. You can have the best engine in the world but if the drive sucks why bother.

Now while I understand there is a lot more to it then that a UI I like is up on the list. Now in vista's case I don't like the UI and I'm not a fan of what the engine is packing.

re linux and business software.

Quite simply there is a lot of business software that in the past wouldn't run on linux. I'm not talking Office here. I mean front ends to ERP software, versioning software programing software etc...etc...etc.. All the things beyond making Word and Spread sheet documents. Fortunately that is all changing and fast.
  • edited October 2006
    A lot of the software you're talking about usually takes the form of a front end or thin client anyway. As for programming then you use the platform you're developing for in most cases.

Guess I just don't understand your argument. It's great if you've had some sort of Mac epiphany but your reasons for switching seem quite trivial. It would take a lot more than not liking the default interface to get me to pay over the odds for what’s basically a cleaned up Dell with a TPM.

I'm very biased though, I just don't like Apple in general. Gets worse when the people who obviously do like them tend to defend Apple so strongly.
    edited October 2006
    rapture wrote:
    A lot of the software you're talking about usually takes the form of a front end or thin client anyway. As for programming then you use the platform you're developing for in most cases.

That is my point. Previously most business software was closed and only worked on windows so business have grown up with windows infrastructures and continue to move in that direction. Most companies with Macs delegate them to their graphics/advertising dept. So as business continue to grow they buy what they have, replacing windows machines with more windows machines etc... Now as the world is changing and software companies realize that businesses want to save costs and one easy way to do that is by ditching windows licenses and going to Linux platforms they have started designing platform independent front ends. But not all business software does. So that is why windows is still strong in the work place. A simple fact of it's been there the longest and by some companies is still required.
    Guess I just don't understand your argument. It's great if you've had some sort of Mac epiphany but your reasons for switching seem quite trivial. It would take a lot more than not liking the default interface to get me to pay over the odds for what’s basically a cleaned up Dell with a TPM.

My reasons for going mac happy are beyond the UI, same as the reasons for not liking MS. The OS is more stable, it's faster it takes full advantage of SMP and actually allows the graphics card to run the GUI. All applications are isolated from the system so installing/removing an app is as simple as dragging it to your programs file or deleting it. There is no registry that gets mauled there are no files dropped sporadically around your system. Backing up your computer and restoring can be done with simple drag and drop.

Upgrading to a different version or hardware is simple. I mean ever get a new PC and want to easily get your data/programs off of the old and onto the new? Windows offers their joke of System Transfer wizard that does indeed move docs and settings. But it also means you'll have to reinstall all the software first or sometimes later depending on the order it dictates. So most sane people view it as a clean up time and have been lulled into this acceptance. New machine means clean install. No need on a mack hook both up together and it will pull in everything.

But more then that. Most programs talk together in a way that Windows software doesn't. I mean I loved Nero for working with DVD's, CD's, Pictures, Music etc... But it's utter crap when compared to the tools that come bundled with OSX.

The network stack is faster and I don't mean on a level where it's technically faster but you won't see it. You can tell it's faster. But then again it's BSD and so it should be.

On the subject of BSD - well it's a BSD back-end which means when I go into a terminal I can actually work with system settings that really have an effect. Unlike windows where even if you are a DOS Master there are extreme limits on what you can actually do to effect windows. Now how bout simple things as file sharing it uses SMB and it does it a hell of a lot faster then windows, I'd say my other systems find the mac almost twice as fast as they do my other windows shares and once connecting the transfers are faster too.

On the hardware side, your right they are PC's that have gotten away from Bios. Oddly Vista is still trapped with bios. But the big advantage is that they are a controlled platform. It means that when developing OSX they don't have to worry about the compatibility of a nigh infinite variety of hardware or level of hardware. This used to keep Mac's being more expensive. But now that they are shipping in more volumes prices are dropping and features are becoming enhanced. They are right now 3 in the world for overall hardware quality. 1st and 2nd are HP and IBM (forget which is which) 3rd is Apple. Dell doesn't even blip on the radar. But again it is at it's heart now just a normal computer so for those few windows apps I do want I can use boot camp flip to XP and I'm up and going.
    I'm very biased though, I just don't like Apple in general. Gets worse when the people who obviously do like them tend to defend Apple so strongly.

If you don't like Apple - then don't like apple I don't care. But I always get a chuckle out of people who see the defense of Mac's as zealotry. It's no difference then the defense of Linux, windows or the zealots who go after opposing systems. The simple fact is OSX works better then Windows XP and nothing that I've seen in Vista so far provides anything that really improves the functionality of XP. So far they claim it's more secure and stable but that's just a boast until it's actually really field tested.
  • edited February 2007
    Trusted Platform Mode (TPM) - A Vista security feature found on the motherboard. Basically, unless you're one of the few high-tech corporate right now, you don't have it and you'll need a new MB.

What do they mean by this?

On a site note is it true with windows vista all the hardware and software information has to be sent to Microsoft or you will be lock out of Windows?
  • edited February 2007
    TPM is an optinal extra, you don't need it and shouldnt really be worried about it.

Read this.
    edited February 2007
    I've heard alot about that. And if the article Rapture provided, let me see if I can get this right.

Windows Vista records the license data, along with the generalized hardware profile, That's what that Vista Experience crap is all about, I wager. The OEM license says you cannot move the installation to another computer, but you can change some hardware here and there. Add things, but I doubt if your board croaks, they'll give you that window of reprieve. Retail, they say you can move it all you want. They don't care. But I bet they'll find some way to bitch about it.
    edited February 2007
    MS is clamping down on what their OEM licenses are allowed to do. We just got a notice from one of our VAR's saying that OEM versions of Office can now only be installed once and they are not allowed to sell them anymore unless they install them. Furthermore if the machine they are installed on croaks your license becomes invalid. That last part to me seems a bit of a stretch but it's what they are putting forth anyway.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    kryyst wrote: »
    Furthermore if the machine they are installed on croaks your license becomes invalid. That last part to me seems a bit of a stretch but it's what they are putting forth anyway.

Man I ___ing hate corporate America, and their greed!:rant:
    edited February 2007
    If you hate the bastard capitalists, become a communist.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    :grumble:
  • edited February 2007
    Windows Vista records the license data, along with the generalized hardware profile, That's what that Vista Experience crap is all about,

I think Windows 2000 and XP does this.So they send the license data and hardware profile to Microsoft.And if you add new hardware you will not be able to long into windows?
    I wager. The OEM license says you cannot move the installation to another computer, but you can change some hardware here and there.
    And so is same with Windows 2000 and XP and what is OEM license ?
    edited February 2007
    My X1900 is HD-Complaint, but it's memory bandwidth is 1400 and it handles Vista great, atleast RC1. I'm not gonna buy vista until it gets a service pack.

OEM means Original Equipment Manufacturer. Usually, OEM is used to describe the component without anything else. Such as a hard drive without cables, or a retail box. OEM software isn't meant to be transferred in any way other than once. Like Compaq and their bloatware they install on PC's. That's basically OEM software. You get it, and that's all. You can't move it if you wanted to unless they provided Retail discs. Microsoft uses OEM's to say 'You cannot transfer this at all.' and Retail for 'This is yours. Keep it with you.' and Corporate for 'This is the copy your company can use so many times, then you have to buy another'. Microsoft just likes money.

XP sent basically a hardware hash, think it's 64-bit, 512 characters when you "Genuine"-ize your XP. 2000 didn't.