Urgent/ Need Lots Of Replies Fast/ Will Order In Less Than An Hour

Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy KnobPflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
edited October 2003 in Hardware
I know I don't need it but her's my dilema.

I currently have a SLK-800 with TT SF2

I want to get either one of these and convert all my case fans to out.

OR

Get a SLK-900

If I go w/ the 900 which fan? (MUST BE FROM SVC)

I like this fan but it does not have the third lead for RPM monitoring.

Another I am considering is the Enermax 92x25mm Variable Speed High Performance System Cooling Fan .

How would this 92X25MM ZALMAN ZM-F2 38CFM@20DB OR 53CFM@36DB (3-PIN) be.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    I would get the SLK-900 and the Zalman.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    i would get the duct ...you will notice good improvement in temps i guarantee it if installed correctly and depending on ambient temps.
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited October 2003
    on their diagram they have the air blowing in from the outside onto the heatsink. wouldnt it cool better to suck the air from the heatsink and blow outward? I might get that duct, looks interesting.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    croc_ had this to say
    on their diagram they have the air blowing in from the outside onto the heatsink. wouldnt it cool better to suck the air from the heatsink and blow outward? I might get that duct, looks interesting.
    The best is the take the outside air (coolest) to the CPU then excavate all air from case. Makes sense to me. :doh:
    edited October 2003
    croc_ had this to say

acutally when mine was set up to suck from the hs it did get a degree or two cooler ...dont know why.

all you have to remember is to make sure that both fans have the same direction of air flow.

in my case the duct made a 7-10 degree difference
    edited October 2003
    larry this is something that requires some experimentation on your part because each instance can supply different results. In theory you should have the same amount of intake as exhaust ...however nothing is set in stone and until you try every option you'll never know what will suit you best.
    edited October 2003
    csimon

surely that was F.
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited October 2003
    I don't know why, but in my head it seems better to exhaust it, rather than pull it in. I don't know how to word it.

The air would be moving across the HS faster, and there would be less stagnant air around the HS?? IDK, just seems logical in my head to exhaust.

I have been reading the cooling debate post, and I want to try front/rear/top eshaust, while having one intake on the side panel. To me that sounds like it would work the best, along with the HSF exhaust duct.

I just ordered the duct, 4x 80mm fans, 2 120mm fans and a 92mm for my slk900. Now to find a case that will fit this.
    edited October 2003
    croc_ had this to say
    I don't know why, but in my head it seems better to exhaust it, rather than pull it in. I don't know how to word it.

The air would be moving across the HS faster, and there would be less stagnant air around the HS?? IDK, just seems logical in my head to exhaust.

I have been reading the cooling debate post, and I want to try front/rear/top eshaust, while having one intake on the side panel. To me that sounds like it would work the best, along with the HSF exhaust duct.

I just ordered the duct, 4x 80mm fans, 2 120mm fans and a 92mm for my slk900. Now to find a case that will fit this.

yes the exhaust method worked best for me.

how will you use that duct with a 92mm hsf since the duct in the link is only 80mm?
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited October 2003
    csimon had this to say

yes the exhaust method worked best for me.

how will you use that duct with a 92mm hsf since the duct in the link is only 80mm?

Good point, I guess I'll use the 92 for the top exhaust then, and one of the 80s on my slk.

I don't even know what I am going to do yet, since I don't even have a case (except a dell poweredge 400sc case, which doesn't offer much for cooling, cept it does have a cpu duct).

So anyways back OT, I would get the duct, looks like it helps.
    edited October 2003
    OK it makes sence to exhaust and I do agree that experimentation is key to find what works best.

Come on guys, I'm still hanging here. I need more input please on which way to go. Order is going out soon.
    edited October 2003
    larry why not consider this ...just order the duct and experiment with it a few days. if you're not happy then order the slk900 w/ fan and sell me the duct and slk800 w/ fan? I'm almost certain that if I bend caps I can fit that sink on my kr7a-r.
  • EQuitoEQuito SoCal, USA
    edited October 2003
    I would get the SLK-900 and the Zalman.

I agree. I just ordered that combo with the special $10 discount code "vf900a" from the their email.

ps: hmm..., I'm agreeing with Thrax too much lately, what's wrong with me... :scratch:;D
    edited October 2003
    Well it's

2 get the 900

2 for the kit

I am that close mysef yet.

csimon,
    Would you still be interested in the 800 either way I go? I'll work with you and even let you PM me with an offer first since you currently know what's what.
    edited October 2003
    what 80mm fan do you have with that? yeah I'd take it either way just let me know when you place your order what you decide.
    edited October 2003
    maybe you could get this fan http://www.svcompucycle.com./92vantorfan1.html in 3 pin ...I have one.
    edited October 2003
    Well I am going to give this till I get back from some errands. I am still hanging here on which way to go.
    csimon had this to say
    what 80mm fan do you have with that? yeah I'd take it either way just let me know when you place your order what you decide.
    I currently have a TT SF2 on it which works quite well and goes from very peaceful to pretty loud.

csimon had this to say
    maybe you could get this fan http://www.svcompucycle.com./92vantorfan1.html in 3 pin ...I have one.
    :hair::werr::wtf:
    edited October 2003
    check with the company to see which they sell 3 or 4 pin ...when I ordered from plycon I could choose either or.
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited October 2003
    how bout slk900 + duct? :)
    edited October 2003
    that's the route I'd go ...and use the 80mm fan to adapt the duct. Larry ...the only issue I have with the slk800 is perhaps having to bend the caps ...
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Larry, none of the choices. It´s time to step up a bit imo. Order a wateblock please?
    edited October 2003
    I'm back and no more suggestions????? :/
    edited October 2003
    Have you made a decision yet?
  • edited October 2003
    This is the fan I will be ordering for my 900a soon.
    edited October 2003
    In case you haven't seen the thermalright sink that whoops the slk series check it out ...http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&articID=107 ...no "A"MD version or "U"niversal version available yet however ...only a matter of time.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Please come by december! plz plz plz plz plz.
    edited October 2003
    No decision. I decided to wait, sleep on it and see what else anyone suggested.

That SP-94 just looks bad a$$!
  • edited October 2003
    Larry, you don't necessarily have to have a duct from the hsf to cool effectively. I use a 120X38mm Panaflo M1A fan blowing in from the case sideplate into the vid card/proc area without a duct and have my fan on the SLK800/SLK900a blowing into the heatsink. That way I'm getting nice cool air into both the heatsink and vid card area and the Panaflo 120mm M1A pushes 87 cfm with only 35 dBA noise, which is pretty quiet. I have the 2-80mm case fans on the back of my Antec 1040 clones exhausting out.

However, SVC doesn't have an appropriate 120X38mm fan to use, the YS Tech fan they have is hella loud. They do have a few 120X25mm fans that might do, but I find that the 120X25mm fans I've seen and heard have more blade noise than the 120X38mm Panaflo M1A.

You can't go wrong with that SLK900a. I bought one last week when they were on sale and I've been very impressed with it's performance. I have it in my new dually along with a Swiftech MCX462+ and it's performance eclipses the Swifty. I'm runnin a Delta FFB0812HHE fan on the SLK, which moves 45 cfm of air and is quiet and I'm running a Delta FFB0812SHE fan on the Swifty, which moves 68 cfm of air and is pretty loud. Yet my temps both stay exactly the same on both procs. This Chaintech board uses a socket thermistor instead of the on-die diode for temp monitoring on both sockets.

One thing to remember with the SLK's is that they were designed to blow air into the heatsink, not suck air out of it. OF course as always, YMMV.:D

For the 92mm fan, I would favor the adjustable Enermax fan as I have 1 of their 120X25mm adjustables and 3 of their 80mm adjustables and they are quality fans, with nice long leads on both the power lead and the variable speed resistor lead. You can adjust the speed to find the best balance between noise and cfm's too. Another 92 mm fan that SVC has that I would recommend is the 92mm Panaflo M1A for $5.99. The Panaflo's quality is up with the best in the business IMO and move quite a lot of air with low noise.
    edited October 2003
    Well I am leaning toward going from my SLK-800 to the SLK-900 and will look at some fans locally first to see if I can find one I like better than the SVC offerings.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Oh, you would just have to link that SP-94. I wish, I wish, wish I hadn't seen that review. Dang it, I'm not supposed to spending money now. (Preparing for career change in a few months. Might have to cough up cash for moving expenses.)

Oh well, time to dig through the parts bin for private deals - raise money for the SP-94!:rolleyes2