Internal USB

budhisetiawanbudhisetiawan Mars Hill, NC Member
edited February 2007 in Hardware
Been a while..but its nice to know where you can always come back to and feel like home.....

Easy question....

What are the internal USB things called...I have 4 externals and want to add the additionals..but dont what they are called...would like the ones that are on the front...I know i have (2) 5x2 inside for this..but for the world of me cant get this brain to work right and think of the name...

TIA

Bud

Comments

• erichblas2005erichblas2005 Your Native Texan Houston,Texas Member
    edited January 2007
    Been a while..but its nice to know where you can always come back to and feel like home.....

Easy question....

What are the internal USB things called...I have 4 externals and want to add the additionals..but dont what they are called...would like the ones that are on the front...I know i have (2) 5x2 inside for this..but for the world of me cant get this brain to work right and think of the name...

TIA

Bud
    Serial ATA
  • budhisetiawanbudhisetiawan Mars Hill, NC Member
    edited January 2007
    no no...the usb faceplates....you knw that just plug into your MB using the 2 5x2's I have!
  • edited January 2007
    USB Headers
    edited January 2007
    hears the next question....I already am using the 4 on the back...can my system handle another 4 up front?
  • edited January 2007
    If the motherboard supports up to thar number of usb then yes.

USB 2.0: Supports total 8 USB2.0 ports with High-Speed Devices at 480 Mb/s Transfer Rates

This is what is says for your mobo so it would be fine. If you want more usb just go and buy some pci controllers that output usb connections
    edited January 2007
    yea...by the looks of it I am just as cheap to by a usb hub thing....what do you thinK? Looks like its going to cost me somewhere around $30 to have it put in the front of the case...

http://www.frontx.com/order2.html

versus like $10 for the hub...now w/ a hub I still can only run 8 or does the 4port hub act like 1?
  • edited January 2007
    Of what you are showing me there, you are not going to earn any usb slots.

http://www.everythingusb.com/hardware/index/SIIG_USB_2.0_5-Port_PCI.htm

You will need something like the above to get extra usb
    edited January 2007
    Huh?...y not..?

Seems that this would hook into my two onboard 5x2s and ad 4 to the front?

and the hub...makes 1 into 4 right?
  • edited January 2007
    I have to check this out because i think you cannot connect more than 2 usb devices on one usb.
    edited January 2007
    then y do they creat usb hubs?...I know u said you have to check it out...but had to ask anyhow...

let me know!

TIA
    edited January 2007
    ps....remember on the internals...i have (2) 5x2's available which should be 2 for usbs per 5x2...and you mentioned my board is up to 8...which is 4 internals and the 4 in the back...right?...

Rather go the hub rout though...CHEAPER!!!!!
  • edited January 2007
    I have just ckeched it out. Yes you can connect more usb devices. Each 5x2 will get out 2 usb. Seriously what are you going to connect and you will need all these usb. I mean 8 usbs are more than enough.
    edited January 2007
    I have all 4 in the back used up....I really can only think of 1 maybe 2 that will be used....reasone y I was just looking for the ones on the front of PC...however when looking at the cost...it is just better to go w/ the hub i think....

You?
  • edited January 2007
    Or if you want to get something better than the hub, get the aerocool coolpanel. There you can put in use your unused usbs :)
    But again if you don`t want any fancy staff, just get the hub and that will be more than enough. What kind of pc case do u have by the way
    edited January 2007
    too bad it doesnt come in biege....lol...all silver and black....
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited January 2007
    I've got 8 usb ports. I've made USB mounts for my 3.5 bay by just scavenging old USB headers from old cases. My case provided 2, I added the other two from an old gateway case from 2000 only took a little modding. If you have an Altex / Fry's in your area, go up there and ask the guys for advice.
    edited January 2007
    nope...not around here....
    edited January 2007
    Well, the pinout is easy. Just go get some female USB cables, and I'll walk you through it.
    edited January 2007
    How much we looking at? $$$
    edited January 2007
    Ten, maybe fifteen bucks. They only need to be about two feet long.
    edited January 2007
    I appreciate the offer, however I think I am just going to go w/ the USB hub...its only $10 shipped....

Thx again though for the offer!
    edited February 2007
    Well I got my hub in...lol...its about as big as the word....no kidding...its self powered....the size a pair of fingernail clippers side by side.....lol...did the trick and cost me all of like $6
    edited February 2007
    Check the specs on your USB hub. Connecting directly to the controller gives you UP TO 480Mbit/s. I've seen many hubs that limit to 12Mbit/s. You might be screwing yourself in the long run.
    edited February 2007
    hmm...

This is what I found!...so what does this mean?

Four downstream ports can handle high-speed (480Mbps), full-speed(12Mbps) and low-speed (1.5Mbps).
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited February 2007
    The problem with USB hubs is that they are still connecting to 1 port on your PC. So if it's a case where you are connecting multiple devices but generally only one device will be in use at a time like say a printer, a camera and maybe a scanner. Then a USB hub is an effective solution. But make sure that it's a USB hub that will offer full USB 2 speed to all devices. Many of the cheaper hubs are USB 1 all the way around or USB 2 to the PC port and then USB 1 on the devices.

If it's a situation where you have a constant on device like a USB drive then you don't want it to be on a hub. The hub shares it's maximum bandwidth from the usb port on your PC and will then share that to all the devices connected to it.

Powered hubs are also much better and typically faster then a non-powered hub but the true advantage is that a powered hub can power a device that relies on power from the USB port. Usually cheaper non-powered USB hubs don't work correctly in this fashion.
    edited February 2007
    Sooooo...is mine ok?

I have my printer going straight to the pc...ONly things I have on the hub are a card reader and 2 PDAs....occasionally my wife or i will put a JD on there...but then again its jsut for a min to get a file or update one....None of which is in use much nor at the same time....On the CR there is a light that stays on all the time....

On the PC is my printer, mouse/keyboard combo....and the hub
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited February 2007
    Yeah your hub is perfect for that. It's pretty much what they are intended for. Printers on hub's are also not to bad of an option but larger print jobs may be slow to print.
    edited February 2007
    Cool..thx for the heads up....
    edited February 2007
    I still say grabbing a USB header and throwing it in a floppy bay would be alot more efficient since it adds two full-stream USB ports instead of having some device that could bottleneck the whole thing. I've YET to see a USB hub that allows full-speed to anything on it, but then again I don't check up on stuff like that, because if I need more of a port, I add them, not replicate them. Wide is better than Long.
    edited February 2007
    Yep...just when i bought this headers started going on sale..oh well....another time maybe...