First Multiplayer Game You Played?

Comments

• EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Extreme Violence on the Amiga back in 1995.

PC game would be either Total Annihillation on Heat.net or Diablo. Sure I played something before that though.....

NS
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited November 2003
    either doom2 or warcraft (1). i know i used to spend a lot of time DL'ing doom2 maps, and its entirely possible i DM'd with someone, i just cant remember any particular time.

first multiplayer game i played a LOT though was TA... man i STILL play that game a lot
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Doom over my buddies home network.
  • GobdGobd Seattle, WA
    edited November 2003
    The original Tribes, which happens to still be the best multiplayer game ever. I still play it sometimes but all the good people are gone so its not quite so fun anymore. Its amazing that the game is 5 years old and still has a player base of over 1000 people and is still constantly being updated by the community. It also has one of the biggest and best forums ever, tribalwar.com/forums
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    It's all about the TA. Hey TheBaron, when are we having that big TA LAN?

-drasnor :fold:
  • DOSMANDOSMAN Grand Rapids, MI
    edited November 2003
    Populus II on my old 486. First network game I've seen.
  • NorgeNorge Sidney, Ohio
    edited November 2003
    The first multiplayer game I ever played was the original Diablo on a PII 266mhz/32 MB RAM/4 GB HDD/Win95 computer. It was the game that got me hooked for life :)

Norge
  • T-BirDT-BirD Montgomery, AL
    edited November 2003
    If Bezerk on the Atari 2600 had 2 player coop, then that or something else that was on the system in 1982. Otherwise, something on the C64. I'm pretty sure the NES was not my first mp experience...

"Online" tho had to be a direct phone connection to a friend 45 miles away for some DooM action in early 1996. First REAL multiplayer was Quake I online that fall. Quake I - still the best mp game ever (sorry to disagree with Tribes...never really got into that game).
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited November 2003
    Quake in all it's beauty over my old US Robotics 14.4 Modem. :)

PC was a beast for back then:

Intel 486 DX2/66 (Eventually became an Intel 486 DX4/120)
    64 MB FPO DRAM (4x16 MB Modules, 70ns)
    Intel's 486-GVT Motherboard, 2 PCI, 5 ISA Slots, 4 16-bit ISA with 128 KB L2 Cache Onboard
    Seagate Medalist 427 MB Hard Disk, PIO Mode 2
    Panasonic 2x CD-ROM
    Gravis UltraSound, Full-Length ISA
    Diamond Monster 3D 4 MB PCI (Voodoo 1 for 3D)
    ATI Mach64 1 MB PCI (for 2D)
    US Robotics Sportster 14.4K Hardware Modem, ISA
    CompuPartner Radiation King 14" Monitor :)
  • CaffeineMeCaffeineMe Cedar Rapids, IA
    edited November 2003
    Comanche vs. Apache, Long Distance via dialup. Didn't play that real long.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    First multiplayer I played on the PC was Descent (using direct-dial modem) on my 486. That game rocked for its time. Only after that did I play Doom over the modem, which was the first game I played regularly. I remember having to call first and say "don't pick up the phone, I'm going to call you with the PC now..."

(post edited for content due to Creep's admonishment below :werr: )
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Half-Life and still playing it to this day.
  • CreepCreep Hell Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    mr_bojingles3264 had this to say
    What was your first multiplayer pc game you played?

Guess most people haven't read the question, so I'll say it again. The question is what PC game, not CONSOLE game.

Now that I think about it more it would have to have been something like "Lemonade Stand" on a Apple IIe. Ah! The days of 5 inch floppys and "catalog" insted of "dir / ls". Man I feel old now. I actually forget all the games we played in school back then (the retard classes always had an atvantage!) but that one game has always stood out in my memory, prolly because I hated it so much and they always made us play it.
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    First PC multiplayer game eh?

That was a game I played on the TI 94/a, I cant remember the name. =[

First internet based was LORD, Legend of the Red Dragon on my Pentium 90. I miss the BBS days. Im with Gargoyle =]
    edited November 2003
    I'm going to shoot myself, I swear no one can read anymore............................................................
  • edited November 2003
    Creep had this to say
    I'm going to shoot myself, I swear no one can read anymore............................................................

;D
    edited November 2003
    Creep had this to say

Things get kind of confused after reading 2 pages of posts... sometimes it's possible to forget the exact woring of the OP, y'dig? :eek3:
    edited November 2003
    yea GH I thought that myself, so I reposted the origianl, twice I might add. But it seems that people simply can not read and comprehend a simple sentence.....
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited November 2003
    Radeon_Man had this to say
    Descent on a 200Mhz Compaq/2MB Matrox Video/Win95/56k!

See above on a 350mhz K6-2 w/ 8mb graphics blaster EXXTREME!!(3dlabs permedia II wtfhaxor?!) win95/56k!!

Played a bunch of FPS games on lan also, can't remember which was first.

EDIT: pentium 90 ^
  • MetallicaFanMetallicaFan Borning Town In Pennsylvania
    edited November 2003
    The First Multiplayer Game i Ever Played was Quake Classic, i used to played it alot when i got dsl, I wish there is a way to make it work on Windows XP.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Chill out creep, this thread is all about the memories... ;)

-drasnor :fold:
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Creep had this to say

the 94/a was not a console if thats what your talking about.
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited November 2003
    oh, and umm I was 12? so like ... 9 years ago? That sound about right for a pentium 90? before that I had a 486 (dx2/66) and before THAT a 286 Tandy 3000 @ 10mhz (If I remember correctly, that was like 13-14? years ago... man my memory sucks for being 21)

On the tandy I had .... wolfenstein 3D DEMO! some bruce lee game ... umm ... yeah ... no internet or modem or whatnot till the p90 tho ....
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    warcrat II ( before Battle.net ) or quake II one of the two on my 450 K6-III processor! God I love the K6-II's
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited November 2003
    Depends what you consider multiplayer. First game I played over the internet with a group of people was Novalogic's F-22 Raptor, which was an awesome flight sim in its day. However, I was playing computer-to-computer over the phone lines with a buddy before that with Jedi Knight and Doom
  • Al_CapownAl_Capown Indiana
    edited November 2003
    Gnomewizardd had this to say
    warcrat II ( before Battle.net ) or quake II one of the two on my 450 K6-III processor! God I love the K6-II's

Why? I know I wasn't as well versed in technology then as I am now, but from what i've heard k6-2's were the processors that spread rumors all the way through athlon xp's about them running hot.
    edited November 2003
    They also didn't perform as well as their Intel counterparts. Ah the bad old days!
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited November 2003
    hot and slow?! :O

edit: (not a question.)
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    i meant k6-III not 2 i ment 3!
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    K6-III was even worse than the II.