Slow PC

stephenstephen Ireland
edited June 2007 in Hardware
Hi Folks,
Hope this Thread is in the right place and hopefully somebody can help.

My PC has began running slow over the past two months and seems to be getting slower. Also now, when I click on a desktop shortcut it takes about 30 seconds for it to activate. I run AVG free daily, Spybot and ad-Aware weekly and also run CCleaner and Registry Mechanic at various times. I am also using Zone-Alarm Firewall.

Any suggestions would be great

Thanks in advance:confused:

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Go to the Spyware and Virus Removal forum, read this thread, start your own 'need help' thread, and our volunteers will assist you. Despite your security measures, which are good, it would appear your system may be infected with malware.
  • stephenstephen Ireland
    edited June 2007
    That was fast,
    Thanks for your help,
    I will start this procedure first thing tomorrow.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited June 2007
    It would also really help to know the systems specs.

Do you know the processor, how much ram you have, and what operating system your running.

I'm assuming your running windows. If you are click start, control panel, performance and maintenance, system.

A window will appear listing your processor, how much ram you have, operating system, and some other stuff.
  • TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited June 2007
  • stephenstephen Ireland
    edited June 2007
    Thanks again folks
    Excellent reply's
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited June 2007
    so how about the specs of your computer...
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited June 2007
    Open up windows explorer right click on your c:drive choose properties. near the bottom of that screen is an Indexing option - remove the checkmark.
  • stephenstephen Ireland
    edited June 2007
    Thanks for your interest and replys.
    I have followed Leonardo's advice and the links supplied, completed Trojan's 8step guide and posted the results in a new tread in "Spyware and Virus Removal"

Thanks again