Video Card for System Upgrade - Advice Please

LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciersEagle River, Alaska Icrontian
edited June 2003 in Hardware
Need advice for a video card to go with this system. I don't care whether it's a purchase of used top-end card or purchase of a new one.

System Proposal.

-- Mobo: Abit NF7-S v2.0, (nForce 2-SPP Chipset, SATA RAID, Serillel adaptor)
-- CPU: AMD XP 2800 Barton, 400MHz FSB (XP 3000 Barton if prices fall soon)
-- Memory, PC3200, 2X512 Geil "Value Ultra" CAS 2.5/6-3-3 -2T (1024 MB of DDR at 2.5 CAS is more important to me than 512MB or high performance CAS 2; these 512 sticks at Newegg for $69).
-- HDD: WD800JB, 8MB cache
-- Video Card - to be determined
-- This machine is for general purpose, with emphasis on gaming and folding. Office applications of type also.

I don't want to shell out the money for top of the line, but I'd like something superior to the Radeon 8500LE that I already have - but it would have to by a high enough performance increase to justify its cost.

(If you'd like to comment and advise me on my proposed Intel and AMD homebuilts overall, please go here - http://short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=446#post446)

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Leo

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Radeon 9600 Pro, or 9700 Pro would certainly provide improvements and justify the cost.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Would you be interested in watching tv on the computer as well? I have the Radeon 9700 pro and its the best videocard i have tried and seen. Dead stable for all gaming and video needs.

How about a 9700 PRO All in wonder? Tv in and out, video in and out. Dual monitors as well.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited June 2003
    The Radeon 9500 Pro is faster than the 9600 Pro.

IMO your choices are either a 9500 Pro, 9700 Pro, 9700 Pro AIW or a 9800 Pro
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2003
    Get it while the retailers still have 9500 Pros. Ati is not producing them. They are the best bang for the buck no adays. Much like that R8500 was.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Omega has the ticket, jump on a 9500pro ASAP, or go for a 9700pro.
    I put a 95pro in a box for a friend. Now I am trying to figure out how to steal it.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    OK, I think my decision is getting closer to made. Mack, sorry, just have no need for TV in or out with a video card.

I've just been out of the tech game too long guys, I've had some time available in the last two weeks and have been playing catch up as fast as I can, but I'm still not up to date.

9500 fans: what kind of performance improvement would I expect to see over my 8500LE - in 2D, in 3D, in FPS. It's compatible with DirectX 9.0, yes?
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited June 2003
    I'm a big Nivida supporter but even I will admit that even though their flagship FX card for the most part is a little faster then any of ATI's efforts (last time I checked), with the whole noise issue of the heatflow technology and the price, I would have to this time say ATI currently have the best value for money products on sale at the moment.

My advice would be the ATI 9700 Pro, its price is a bargain when you consider still how much power it's got, and it seems like finally ATI have got a few descent sets of drivers circulating for it now, so presuming you don't want the best of the best regardless of money, I would have to agree with the guys above.

ATI would be the way to go.
  • TiribulusTiribulus HOCKEYTOWN USA
    edited June 2003
    I'll throw my hat in for one of the Radeons as well depending on how much money you want to spend. One for every budget and outstanding gaming boards. BTW, welcome back man, So glad to see you escaped with your skin. Bet it's good to be home huh?:beer:
    >>>Tiribulus-->:celebrate
    edited June 2003
    Leonardo said
    OK, I think my decision is getting closer to made. Mack, sorry, just have no need for TV in or out with a video card.

I've just been out of the tech game too long guys, I've had some time available in the last two weeks and have been playing catch up as fast as I can, but I'm still not up to date.

9500 fans: what kind of performance improvement would I expect to see over my 8500LE - in 2D, in 3D, in FPS. It's compatible with DirectX 9.0, yes?
    You will see huge performance increases over an8500le especialy if you get a 9500 pro. Fully DX9 compatible though the 9800 has one feature that the 9700 doesn't have either. Can't remember the spec off hand. A friend of mine bought a 9500 pro on my persuasion and was soon thereafter making romantic overatures toward the card. Also I've been an Nvidia guy forever and I'm sure will buy their products again, but my 9700 pro nearly tore my head off. Drivers are fine except with a few specific games and if you get your cooling beefed up they overclock good to boot (no pun intended).
    >>>--Tiribulus-->:D
  • aZnWankstaaZnWanksta Baton Rouge
    edited June 2003
    Well, if you are really strapped for cash, I'd go with the GeForce 5200. The Chaintech model sports 128DDR, TVout, dual monitor, all that good stuff. Plus DX9 compliant. All this for less than 70 bucks. Definately not as badass as the Radeon, but I'd say that this would give you way more bang for your buck.

aW
    edited June 2003
    Oh, btw, I'm lookin for a new vid card also. What do you think about the GF 5200? I don't have all too much money to blow... The 9500 128 Pro you guys are talkin about run for 150, compared to 70 for the 5200... Which would you suggest?

aW
  • qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited June 2003
    Well he does want higher framerates than the 8500LE, the 5200 may have a lot of features, but its got a harsh bandwidth deficienchy. The 5200 is a great card to toss in a low end machine,but since he's already got a 8500 LE its about the same performance. The 5200 performs like a MX440 with DX9 support. The 5200 ultra does a little better, coming around an MX460, but still falling short of most.

Go with the 9500 Pro if you're stuck for a budget.
    edited June 2003
    Thanks man, I guess I'll just wait a bit and save up some money for the 9500 pro.

aW
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited June 2003
    Massive VGA card comparison, from GeForce2 to Radeon 9700 Pro

Tom's VGA Charts-II
  • Jolyon33Jolyon33 Kalamazoo, MI
    edited June 2003
    Radeon 9500 Pro ROCKS!!!:cheers:
    edited June 2003
    Wow, this site is settling in to what its function was supposed to be - computer tech-centric. Great comments, guys. You are really helping me out. It looks like the choice for me, probably for both machines will be the Radeon 9500. I'll probably look for a basic model that doesn't have all the TV features, which I have no use for.

OK, brand, model recommendations for a 9500?

Leo
    edited June 2003
    Brand isn't as important as your getting a pro model over a standard one if possible. Wish I had more time , but I have to get back to work at the moment. Someone can tell you the differences.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2003
    I know several people that have the Saphire(sp) 9500 Pro.

I dont know which brands are good either, you can always get the ATI built one.
    edited June 2003
    Try this,
    Biggest difference is 8 over 4 rendering pipelines and twice the memory which DOES make a difference with newer games. UT2003 for example will fill all of 128 megs of vid ram @ 1600x1200/32. Try running like that with 64 megs. IMHO the few extra bucks is money well spent for the pro. Much more future proofed than 9500. Image from bjorn3d btw to give credit where due.
    edited June 2003
    Thanks, I see your point. Looks like it'll be a Pro for the gaming rig (nForce2).
    edited June 2003
    You won't be sorry.
    >>>--Tiribulus-->
  • T-BirDT-BirD Montgomery, AL
    edited June 2003
    Leonardo said
    9500 fans: what kind of performance improvement would I expect to see over my 8500LE - in 2D, in 3D, in FPS.

In case you're still not entirely certain, I found this huge benchmarking comparison of 9500, 9600, 9700 series cards as well as a few GeForce4's. The 9500 and 9600 series are at stock and overclocked.

Firingsquad R9500 and R9600 overclocking results.