F@H Team name

Ultra-NexusUltra-Nexus Buenos Aires, ARG
edited June 2007 in Folding@Home
I´m wondering if its possible to change the team name in F@H website back to Icrontic. :)

Comments

• QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited June 2007
    Good question. We're just a number to them, so it might be possible?- but I don't know what's all involved or what they are like to deal with.

However, if it is possible- vote?
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited June 2007
    You can do it yourself if you are the team founder and know the email address and password you created the team with. failing that masterblaster and some of the other Mods at the FCF will help out.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    This is something our Committee is discussing...
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    I'm going to lololol myself to death if it's named anything other than "Icrontic."
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    This is something our Committee is discussing...

public forum? (pardon the pun)
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited June 2007
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Should not be named Icrontic OR Short-Media. Neither are appropriate since the Folding Team is technically not directly connected to the site, it's a separate entity with separate governance. They just use the site to discuss stuff.

I say the name doesn't need to change, it should stay as it is... In memmory, as it were, of the recent forum name... However, if the name must change, then it should change to something other than the name of the forum, let Thrax lolol himself to death, naming the team after the forum, when it's not owned by the same people discourages people who are not forum members from joining the team, thinking it's just for Forum people.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    The issues are :
    1. will Stanford allow another name change (we already changed once),
    2. do we want there to be a "Team Icrontic" and an "Icrontic" team, or
    3. something else.
    The committee will NOT make a decision without consulting the team... both of them. We need to look at all the different avenues and what is possible.
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited June 2007
    Will stanford take Icrontic's F@H members and points and merge them into team 93? If so, that would be the best solution (IMO) so long as people are given ample time to switch to team 93 so that points aren't sent to a team that doesn't exist. I doubt that will happen though.

I disagree with CB Droege. The F@H name should reflect the forum. This forum is the reason my points go to #93 and I can just about guarantee most other people that fold for #93 do it because of this forum not because they just happened to pick #93 as the team number.
    edited June 2007
    F@H I am 100% sure will not merge points or teams... The might "MIGHT" let us do a name change... maybe! If that is what the team wants :)
    edited June 2007
    If the team uses the site for organization, and its leadership is pulled from the site, there's no reason why the team should not be named after the website. Unless, that is, the folding team finds a new home, then in which case, I couldn't care less.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    No matter what, this team would still be the one that this forum supports, directs people to, and celebrates the folding success of, but when I hand out cards to people, I think they would be much more likely to join the team if it was called FoldingForLife or something (since the team already owns that domain name).

Then it looks more like we are trying to get people to join our folding team, and a lot less like we are trying to get them to join our forum team.

Also, it has the quality of separating it further from the site as an organization. Personally, I think this is a good thing. It would give the team leaders more of a feeling of autonomy, and insulate the team from any issues that might occur with the site (like a hack and crash, or another name change, for example (as unlikely as those may be ;) )).

I'm sure I'm gonna get flamed for my opinion, and I can definitely see the arguments against it, but I thought I's put my 2c out there...
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited June 2007
    Points merger is never going to happen it is against Stanford policy, nmae change possible if as stated before we have the founder's name and email address a name change will be allowed, but 2 teams called Icrontic will confuzzle folks.
    PS you can have 2 teams with the same name some numpty created my home team and forgot the number so there are two teams called Miromart_UK , 46589 and 46590
    edited June 2007
    Right in this thread... we have the same issues that the committee is discussing. What we don't want to do is start down a path that leads to a large chunk of members leaving the team. :(

For right now, Team Short-Media is stable but the name is a bit confusing since Short-Media no longer exists as a website. And by that. I mean the actual name does not exist on the web. The community and the unique atmosphere is right here, but the name has changed. New members are going to be a bit stumped that we have "Joinfolding.com" tied to the "Team Short-Media" that meets at "Icrontic.com"... See... I'm confused and I looking at the flow chart right now. ;D

The committee is made up of a bunch of very die-hard folders and most of them have been around folding for well over 5 years. You put this together experience and the dedication to the project and the team, we'll hash through what is possible and bring the options to the membership to decide. :thumbsup:

Added note... many of the committee will be at the LAN so hopefully we can talk face-to-face about the future. Will that do for you guys?
    edited June 2007
    The phrase "Drowning in bureaucracy" comes to mind, frankly.
    edited June 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    Must be viewing the wrong thread then... ;D Try the political forum... oh wait, we don't have one.

The trouble with any decision is gathering enough view points and options in order to find out the ones that are viable. Nothing bureaucratic about it... continue on, Thrax, continue on... :D
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited June 2007
    Donut wrote:

Yes! People should all switch to this team, since the name is already appropriate, and I'm like 11th place. :p:D
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Thrax wrote:

I don't think the delays are because of any kind of bureaucracy.

The Folding aspect of the site merger was something that was, quite frankly, not likely on Keebs and prime's minds when they decided to change the site name.

In my mind, Short-Media had three aspects as an entity: the community, the folding team, and the business of the website.

The "new Icrontic" has two of those aspects baked right in: the business of the website, and the community. We're trying to figure out how the folding team fits into this, since there are two folding teams. So far there is just as much disagreement among the committee about what to do about the team's name as there is within the team as a whole.

Plus, I think what Q meant in regards to the committee meeting in person at the LAN is that we might be able to get everyone's opinion out at that point. Several committee members still have not voiced a firm opinion in the matter.
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Just as long as I don't have to change team # again, I'm ok with whatever happens.
    edited June 2007
    Team #93 is too good of a number to throw away. A name change, if done, does not impact any of our systems. That is certain. :D
    edited June 2007
    If no change the people's systems is needed, then it sounds as if both Team 93 and Team 33693 will remain active?
    QCH2002 wrote:
    Team #93 is too good of a number to throw away. A name change, if done, does not impact any of our systems. That is certain. :D
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Indeed, both team numbers will remain the same, and Stanford makes it a policy to not combine teams.

Each individual is, of course, free to fold for whatever team he/she desires, so it is possible that both teams will remain active.
    edited June 2007
    Ghoos is dead on... He speaks the truth... :D

All I care about is that we do not lose any folders from the project. Fold for another team, for yourself, create a new team, or stay with #93 or #33693. Fold, that's the important thing. :D
  • Ultra-NexusUltra-Nexus Buenos Aires, ARG
    edited June 2007
    If I am not mistaken, when I joined this team back in the Icrontic times, it was still team 93... and it then got renamed after the DB crash and all that, to SM. I dont think Stanford would mind another name change. :)
    edited June 2007
    Well, if we have two teams the sigs need to be changed to indicate which Icrontic team one folds under :rolleyes: or get rid of the team rank as that would no longer be of importance.
    edited June 2007
    I am looking forward to the discusion on this at the LAN :) The following members of the SMx Committee will be at the LAN and can hopefully take a few minutes or hours to discuss this situation.

GHoosdum
    Kwitko
    profdlp
    QCH2002
    Sledgehammer70

We can take our discussions and bring them to Leonardo, Mt_Goat & Csimon & than bring those comments and concerns if any to the current teams... :) we only want what is best for the team overall.
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    GHoosdum wrote:
    Indeed, both team numbers will remain the same, and Stanford makes it a policy to not combine teams.

Each individual is, of course, free to fold for whatever team he/she desires, so it is possible that both teams will remain active.

What sort of bribe would we need to get them to just add the PS3 username with no team specified to 93? Case of beer, bag of blow and a couple of hookers? :D What's 171 million points between friends....
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    At the LAN, I look forward to taking advantage of a little known clause in the SMx contract that allows me to challenge a current committee member to mortal combat for his place.

Kwitko is safe, for I'm afraid his goons would avenge his death, and I swim poorly in cement shoes. The rest of you... :rarr:
  • chipatkinsonchipatkinson San Antonio Texas
    edited June 2007
    Ok...I'm probably the only one with this question but hey never ask never learn!

Y'all keep talking about doing this and that at the LAN. Is that a meeting? I thought LAN was local area network...like series of computers connected in a network. I'm guessing it is a meeting of board members but figured I'd ask anyway.

Also, can someone help me get my signature working again. Haven't had it working for months now and nothing I try seems to work.

Thanks!!
    Chip
    edited June 2007
    Some of the members of the forum gather at Brian's (Primesuspect) house in Michigan and have a LAN Party. It was called the SM LAN until SM purchased Icrontic and rebranded the site. Now it is the IC LAN. I do not attend so you can rest assured that the LAN is absolutely no fun at all. :cool:
    Ok...I'm probably the only one with this question but hey never ask never learn!

Y'all keep talking about doing this and that at the LAN. Is that a meeting? I thought LAN was local area network...like series of computers connected in a network. I'm guessing it is a meeting of board members but figured I'd ask anyway.